Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Second thoughts after dress purchase normal?

I'm sure this has been posted many times, but is it normal to have some second thoughts after you purchase your dress? I even tried it on a second time 2 months after choosing it, liked it that day, but still in between try ons have second thoughts as there are sooo many out there and I went a little more classic than I thought I was going to.  I feel like there are way too many options and pressure and it makes us all a little crazed! LoL Anyone else experiencing occasional second thoughts?

Re: Second thoughts after dress purchase normal?

• Options
    You need to stop looking. There will ALWAYS be other dresses and you're just going to torture yourself.

When I bought my dress the second I stepped out of the store I immediately thought "oh god, what have I done?" But then I went home, looked at pictures of myself in the dress and rememberd how much I loved it. And here I am with one month to go and I can hardly wait to wear it.

Take a week, don't look at ANY other dresses and see how you feel then.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    i honestly have not had any second thought. I love my dress THAT much. I knew the first time I saw it that was my dress. So i was determined to have it.

good luck
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Defiantly, but I agree with Achi, stop looking. Move on to another aspect of your wedding.

I'm sure you chose the dress that was perfect for you! And it is a large purchase, dont we all have second thoughts when we put down that kind of money?

Heck I've been married 2 1/2 years and I still see dresses I would have loved to wear. But, I bought mine, and it was perfect for me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I bought my first dress in February because it made my cry when I put it on and because it was so "me."  I immediately thereafter started feeling the pangs of dress regret.  So for 6 months I heeded the excellent advice of the other ladies on this board, which was to stop looking at other dresses and to remember why I loved my dress so much.  But I couldn't shake the regret.  I knew that my dress (a VERY simple A-line charmeuse strapless gown) was my style, but I kept thinking that I wanted something more grand for my one big day.

Eventually I realized that I needed to take another stab at finding the perfect dress.  Luckily David's Bridal was willing to do an exchange for equal or greater value, so I went there again and found a GORGEOUS ball gown that makes me light up at just the thought of it.

The point is, try to shake the dress regret and try to see if you can get back to the mental place you were when you bought your gown.  If months pass and you can't shake your regret, you owe it to yourself to take another look dresses (assuming your budget and/or the store's return/exchange policy allows). 

This is your day.  You want it to be perfect.  You don't want to spend the rest of your life looking at your wedding pictures thinkging "what if..."
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I had a consultant say something to me that changed entirely the way I felt about my dress and has helped me get over my dress regret.

I chose my dress so early on that I honestly shorted myself a little bit in terms of new stuff that came out that I would have been able to get on my timeline, but I found the dress I loved in October of last year and I'm getting married in 3.5 months and I, like PP cannot wait to wear my dress.

When I was trying on dresses, the consultant saw that I was somewhat torn between a few, so she asked me if I had to walk down the aisle in 5 minutes, which dress would I wear. That solidified for me that the dress I loved was my dress. And every time I see pictures of dresses and think, oh my, that's beautiful, I remind myself that even if I had the option of getting another dress, chances are, if I had to make the decision of which dress I would wear if I had to walk down the aisle in 5 minutes, it would still be my dress.

It may not work for everyone, but it has helped me immensely to get over what could have been a bad case of dress regret.
  • Options
    It's completely normal. I had major issues myself, even though I looooove my dress. When I first bought it, I was significantly heavier, and hated how I looked in it. Every time I saw a picture of me in the dress, I panicked. So I ignored the issue for several month. Now when I put on my dress for fittings, I can barely keep from crying out of joy. Its perfect for me.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I think it's probably not normal if you don't have second thoughts.... I get them too. I should probably go back and try it on but I'm afraid I won't like it. But like everyone is saying. You bought it for a reason. Just try and remember how you felt the first time you tried it one. There must have been something special about it for sure. 
    "Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and pleases where it goes" David & Roxy March 2, 2013 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely normal! Not everyone has "THAT moment" where they just "KNOW" it's their dress!! (Wouldn't it be nice if we all did?) What helped for me was posting photos of 2 that I was torn between (the one I bought and one I thought I wanted)-- I realized I was hoping for people to say "pick the lace one!" (the one I bought) :) It's a really big purchase... and you only get one! So it's definitely normal to question :) I'd definitely agree with everyone else though that you need to somehow stop yourself from intentionally looking at dresses... it's SO hard, but it really helps! Good luck... I'm sure the dress you picked is perfect! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your input ladies! I'm glad to hear not everyone has the magical moment of complete sureness! I have some anxiety about looking "perfect" that day and I know it's my own personal insecurities that may keep me from having that moment, plus I'm indecisive! LoL  Plus, there are just so many out there.  Im actually going to post the link here and see what you guys think.  I'm 5'7 with broader shoulders and hips if that helps envision.
    Here it is:

http://www.bestbridalprices.com/kenneth-winston-wedding-dresses-style-1382-p-52675.html

Hopefully that works! In any case, it's Kenneth Winston (Private Label by G) Style # 1382
  • Options
    That dress is gorgeous btw.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_second-thoughts-after-dress-purchase-normal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:5bb55789-addc-42be-948a-64108896ae5bPost:aeedeff0-c126-4929-8b44-45bf95d538c7">Re: Second thoughts after dress purchase normal?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That dress is gorgeous btw.
    Posted by heroeswearbrown[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I think the train stood out most for me and others.  I really thought I was going to go with more of a lacey gown that was more a line and less ball gown.  Little did I know! LoL I think that's where some of my confusion comes in also, but the satin seemed to be nicer on me than lace in person.
  • Options
    Though it's already been said a few times, I feel the same way. I loved my dress when I tried it on and think it looks fabulous on me, but I still keep wondering if it's the right one. My dress is super simple, so I keep thinking maybe I should have gone for something "fancier," but then I think back to how I looked/felt in fancier dresses when I tried them on and it just wasn't me. I totally understand!
    My Blog: onewaytothebay.wordpress.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards