Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Exposed Shapewear

Please help! I'm a new bride living in Chicago, and all my friends and family live in NJ. I have no help besides my wonderful sister who does anything she can via phone and email.  I am in desperate need of shapewear for a dress...well let's just call it strapless. I am a 36 or 38 DD, so this is proving to be more difficult than I thought. The dress only zippers to just below my bra line (on the side), and therefore I need something which could possibly minimize my bust (that would be a miracle) and at the same time look nice on the exposed sides. My dress is similar to pleated chiffon, so I would like the shapewear to be some kind of lace or sheer look, in ivory or black. Any suggestions?!?! I am sure us larger breasted ladies all need some advice in this area, and all is welcome. I would even consider something that didn't show aesthetically pleasing to the eye - as long as it fit right. I would prefer the step-in bathing suit style, but would also wear the slip look or even just a cami / corset look. I appreciate any and all suggestions!
THANK YOU!!!
p.s. is this how everyone feels? Yell

Re: Exposed Shapewear

• Options
    I recommend you take your dress to Nordstrom.  Size will not be a problem, but you simply do not know how something will fit unless you try the garment on with the shapewear.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Bras can be altered.  If you find some shapewar that fits otherwise and is comfortable a good seamtress or lingerie shop should be able to alter it for you.  DD's dress had a low back.  Once she had long line bra that fit well, she tried it on with her gown and we marked how much of the back needed to be cut back. The shop altered it and it worked perfectly.
  • Options
    infamousrisinfamousris member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Indeed, I will be taking my dress everywhere I go. I do understand that there is no way I can buy a piece without testing how it looks with the dress...
    Also, I just had an idea. I may try to find some sheer black fabric, and take it to my tailor. I am thinking perhaps she can sew triangular panels into the sides of the dress so it comes up higher and covers my "side boob", and then I do not have to worry about having pretty shapewear.
    I was going to go to Macy's, but I will definitely visit Nordstrom as well. I just hope they have DD's for me to try, because typically I cannot find the right size bra on the first attempt, let alone a bustier or some type of shapewear. Thanks for the advice! I have never done this before (and hopefully never will again!) and I just love this forum. Good luck to you and your occasion!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_exposed-shapewear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:5d2803a7-2bfb-48f5-bfe3-cb5720df2b00Post:492e1da5-7fd3-4269-90fb-f2188e9fbd5d">Re: Exposed Shapewear</a>:
    [QUOTE]I recommend you take your dress to Nordstrom.  Size will not be a problem, but you simply do not know how something will fit unless you try the garment on with the shapewear. Good luck!
    Posted by Lisa50[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    I had no idea bras could be altered...it never even occured to me. THANK YOU!!!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_exposed-shapewear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:5d2803a7-2bfb-48f5-bfe3-cb5720df2b00Post:97ea95fa-9c33-454a-af2f-a3627109afdf">Re: Exposed Shapewear</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bras can be altered.  If you find some shapewar that fits otherwise and is comfortable a good seamtress or lingerie shop should be able to alter it for you.  DD's dress had a low back.  Once she had long line bra that fit well, she tried it on with her gown and we marked how much of the back needed to be cut back. The shop altered it and it worked perfectly.
    Posted by gailpete[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards