Snarky Brides
Options

Age difference in siblings

2»

Re: Age difference in siblings

• Options
    That's my thought, too, Sarah.  Get it over with and have my house be diaper-free faster. 
  • Options
    Okay, first the fact that she wants to have another baby just so that her first child can have a playmate seriously upsets me. (I'm sure she wants to have another baby for other reasons, but still).

Also, my brother is 8 years older than me and we had a pretty nice relationship growing up. He taught me how to play video games and whatnot, and got me into sports. So I think that "hating each other until they are in their twenties" is BS.

Also, I would not have my kids SO close together because you have to be prepared for down the road - do you want to pay two college tuitions simultaneously?
  • Options

My little brother and I are about 4 years a part... we beat the crap out of each other. My other brothers and sisters are 2 or 3 years apart they get along so much better.  Now we are more like the Harris brothers on Deadlist Catch.

• Options
    edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference-siblings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b550da8-4b87-43a1-aa54-fe1be20b4942Post:dc94f1d4-0d00-4250-939a-b90cff343857">Re: Age difference in siblings</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, first the fact that she wants to have another baby just so that her first child can have a playmate seriously upsets me. (I'm sure she wants to have another baby for other reasons, but still). Also, my brother is 8 years older than me and we had a pretty nice relationship growing up. He taught me how to play video games and whatnot, and got me into sports. So I think that "hating each other until they are in their twenties" is BS. Also, I would not have my kids SO close together because you have to be prepared for down the road - do you want to pay two college tuitions simultaneously?
    Posted by GreenPepperBurger[/QUOTE]

DH and his sister have the same age difference and also got along.

I don't care about paying for two colleges simultaneously.  My kids will be completing every scholarship application they can get their hands on, and we'll help if we can but what we can't afford, they can take student loans or go to a cheaper school just like I did. 

As for paying for two cars, I don't care about that, either.  I can spend x thousand now and x plus inflation later, or I can pay 2x now.  I'd rather pay 2x now. 

JMO.  I realize not everyone's budget allows for buying two extra cars and two insurance policies (on teenagers, no less) at once. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference-siblings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b550da8-4b87-43a1-aa54-fe1be20b4942Post:cc457c30-c2a0-4ec7-9c98-fb1959a061af">Re: Age difference in siblings</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would like our kids to be 2 years apart or less.  My siblings are 3 and 4 years younger than me and 14 months apart.  They were besties all through school and I couldn't stand either of them until we were adults.<strong>  I know it can be a hot topic for some but for me it's just a preference, not something I feel particularly strongly about.    If it doesn't work out that way, that's ok, but given the choice, I would like them to be close in age.  People always say "2 in diapers?!!! zomg no!" but I really don't care.  I hope to stay at home or work from home for a few years so whether I'm changing one baby or two isn't going to make a hill of beans of difference to me. </strong>
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

This is how I feel too. The bigger question for us is how many we want. We both want a large family, but I can see it not ending up that way too.
  • Options
    My sister and I are 2 years apart and fought like cats and dogs, until I went to college. Now she's my best friend.
  • Options
    i am not less than 13 years apart with any of my 3 siblings. in fact, we are all 13 years or more apart (all half siblings). none of us played or have or had a close relationship with each-other
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    My FI's cousin has kids who are EIGHT months apart (their youngest 2 out of 5). Shoot me in the head. Yes, they are both biologically theirs.

My brother and I are 3 years apart. I want my kids 4-5 years apart, ideally, just because I think I wouldn't be able to handle two in diapers. Once one goes to preschool for part of the day, that sounds like a good time to concentrate on another infant.

My mother always wanted her kids to be friends and wanted an "even number" of kids so no one would be left out when they played together. Yeah, it doesn't work like that. You can't chose who you're related to. That said, my brother is pretty decent.

My dad and his sister are 13 years apart. Of course they aren't that close (she got married when he was 8), but they get along just fine. My grandma used to joke that she had a built-in babysitter. Though honestly, they were each raised almost like an only child.

I do have friends who are sisters and they are 4 years apart - and seriously each others' best friend.

FI is 3 years older than 1 sister (whom he doesn't really get along with) and 5 years older than his other sister (with whom he gets along much better). I wouldn't say he's super close to either of them, though. But he likes them well enough.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    my kids are 2 years apart.  they love each other to pieces (for now).

my mom and her sister are 12 years apart and have been super tight their whole lives, albeit with a different kind of relationship due to the age difference.

i think that age doesn't have a big impact.  it's up to personality, fate and perhaps which way the wind is blowing.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    in my ideal world, I'd have Irish twins. (as in, siblings about a year apart, or just under a year). DH and I have already talked about timing, and we want our kids to be close in age, so we'd start TTC as soon as the first kid is born.

my middle sister and I are only 2 years apart, and it was really fun growing up because she and I had a lot in common. we had a bunch of the same friends growing up, had the same teachers, went on double dates, stuff like that. she is seriously my best friend, I love her. she and the youngest sister are 4 years apart, and they're close, but it's a little different--more due to their proximity and the fact that I was gone for college and the middle sister stayed home for college. obvs, doing the math, that makes me and youngest sis 6 years apart, we hated each other as kids, and we're only just now getting closer since she's getting older (in college now). DH and his brother are 4 years apart, and H has said that he would have liked to be closer in age.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    I am the oldest of four, and I am closest with my brother who is 13 months younger than I, we've always hung out together all the way through school and still have alot of mutal friends. Sarah and I are 4 years apart and Haley and I are 6 years apart and while I remember  playing with them when I was younger, by the time I hit 9 and 10 I thought they were too babyish. So I agree a year or two is ideal to me but that's just IMHO.
    Oct '11 Siggy Challenge: imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards