Snarky Brides
Options

Moving tips

So, we're moving in a month or so. I have no idea how we're going to find a place in Ohio but apparently DH is working on it. 

Yes, I moved down here, but I didn't have a lot of stuff, so this is my first time doing a full move - bed, table, washer/dryer, etc.

Any tips on packing or anything related?
BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Moving tips

• Options

Sookie! Kiss ( . ) ( . )

Sorry I have no advice.

• Options
    lots of bubbly things around glass... make sure you take your every day use things with you in the car (if you can).. don't just make boxes "kitchen, living-room, etc" mark them "kitchen- pots n pans, living-room- tapes/dvds, living-room-photo albums" something to make it clear so you are driving yourself insane trying to unpack and wondering where this or that is. 

awww Ohio.. you'll be close to PA. It will go just fine. And the more you pack the less $ it is if you get a moving company to move you.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Labels.  When I moved I labeled boxes by room and contents.  It helped when trying to find the most important things to unpack first.

Also, pack up the stuff you dont need to use first like storage and off season clothes etc.  Save the stuff like shower needs and clothes you wear for last.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I'm a bad mover. I literally moved into my condo 1 outfit at a time. I think I still have some clothes and books at my parents' and it's been 2 years. Sorry, I'm no help.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    No advice, but congrats on B getting the job!
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    K ByteK Byte member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I have no advice, I've only moved from one-bedroom apartments and single rooms haha. Where are you looking to move in Ohio if you don't mind me asking? Are you guys from here originally or did you/your husband move here for a job? </nosy>
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    YAY!! And I agree that labels are your friend, because even after a day, all those boxes look the same.

Things to keep out until the last minute (maybe even in a bag you can take with you):

- Pen and paper
    - Paper towels/toilet paper
    - Handsoap
    - Trash bags (lots)
    - Disposable plates/dinnerware
    - Towels, underwear
    - Computer so you can still knot ;)

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    Hire out. But if you do, go with someone with a known reputation.

U-Haul has a crappy rap for in-town moves, but are really good for one way multi state rentals. We had a really comfy truck (trust me, we slept in it coming back) and it was easy to drive.

I hate moving. Seriously - we paid the guys who moved me out of the ex's house to come pack up the truck. My mom and I boxed it all up.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    What part of Ohio are you moving to,  K Byte is from NE Ohio, I'm from Central Ohio (Columbus area), we can probably give you recommendations for where to look for a place to live if you're going to be in either area.
  • Options
    We're outside of Dayton, OH now after moving from KY and IN previously.  LOTS of moving in the past few years... ugh!

I agree with previous advice... Use good boxes, and label them with details, and make sure you have easy access to the things you'll need right away.

We wrapped our dishes, glasses, and other breakable items in sheets and towels instead of newspaper.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • Options
    Bribe friends to help with booze and pizza.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    Space Bags work miracles for comforters, towels, pillows, bedding, etc.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    If you are using a moving company, I highly recommend color coding your boxes and drawing a floor plan so it is easy to see which color goes in which room (blue in kitchen, red in master bedroom, etc). Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Moving is a good time to throw things away.  If you haven't used it/worn it in the last 12 months, Ohio wants no part of it.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Set aside anything that you will need the first night (toothbrush/paste, a clean change of clothing, pajamas, medications, cell phone charger, etc.) and put those in a special bag where you'll know where to find them the first night.

This has saved me so many times.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Thanks, guys!  I apologize for the post and run, as Em woke up and then we did the dinner thing.

We are moving to NE Ohio - DH's job is in Ashtabula, but we'll probably look to live someplace a little bit more populated, like Mentor.  Any recs from locals would be fantastic!

We haven't priced things out yet, but we'll probably get  POD and hire people for a day to move all our shiit into it.  We have 2 cars and a baby to move, so most likely we won't go the UHaul route.  My mom will probably fly down and help us with the driving so that someone can always be in the back with DD.

In my head, I plan to pack suitcases like we're going away for a week or so and throw those in the car, along with our china, electronics, and my instruments. 

I LOVE the color coding idea!

• Options
    If you haven't used it in a year, you don't need it.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    ang - ( . )( . )  Kiss

• Options
    Hire movers.  Seriously.

And drink while you pack.  Makes it way more fun.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Start packing now.  At least two boxes per day, and seriously analyze if you want to be unpacking that stuff at the other end.  We just went through a major purge when we put my house on the market, and it sure feels good now to be more organized and clutter-free.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    How is Em?
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    I am taking notes! We are moving a good chunk of our stuff tomorrow and I really haven't prepared much for it. We have just thrown things in boxes so far, labeled by room. I don't care too much about our dishes since 2 sets are unbreakable and 2 sets are crappy. If they break, they break. I don't care.

I am using duffel bags and XL Ziplock bags for my clothes.

We rented a UHaul and will pick it up tomorrow.
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_moving-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b87c592-7d65-42a5-9d22-dbf942f51aa2Post:8a2d4e43-e436-4d76-8359-21128a76d9bc">Re: Moving tips</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you haven't used it in a year, you don't need it.
    Posted by shellydiane820[/QUOTE]

Ha! Tell that to N. He won't get rid of anything, not even clothes he hasn't worn in 6 years!! It's a good thing we have a basement at our new place so that I won't have to see all of his junk.
  • Options
    Label label label. Also write on the box anything particular you might need or be looking for.
    Get a few of the cheap fold out boxes from Target. They are just cloth and have cardboard bottoms and about $10 bucks. Don't pack them. Leave them out for last minute cleaning supplies, some snacks, and the inevitable "random stuff" that never made it into a box. If you don't use them all you can fold them up and slide them under a car seat.
    Moving companies can make or break your day, so do your research. I would recommend ours but they only work our of the DC area :(
    If you haven't packed a bunch already, Make a detailed list in a notebook with every item that goes into a box. Also take pictures of anything important/expensive/breakable and keep that in the notebook. If anything breaks during the move it can be used for insurance purposes or in case a box never makes it to your house.
    Get a big wardrobe box and pack all of your clothes with the hangers still attached. It sounds stupid I know, but it was really nice to just grab the hangers with clothes attached and put it in the closet.
    Paper ream boxes are perfect for books. Fill them half with books, and half with lighter items like fabric, stuffed animals, etc.
    If you have a nice PetSmart near you, ask them for their cardboard tote boxes. They are perfectly sized for moving.

And if you want to know anything else feel free to PM me :) Although I still have boxes unpacked so don't ask for advice on geting everything unpacked after the move ;)
  • Options
    If you are moving to Columbus I had a place I LOVED living at.. I lived there for 3.5 years- so I kind of know the area.  Great landscape, apartments, staff, neighbors, community pool/picnic areas, great neighborhood/schools, shopping nearby, etc.  Not sure if you are looking for a house though...

Anyways- PM if you are curious : )
  • Options
    Great advice so far! 

Other tips are:
    -Sarabear told me and Poli about uship.com.  You can get a great deal apparently.  Andy and I didn't luck out but that's ok.
    -Do you have AAA?  Andy and I saved $200 by being members on our Penske truck.
    -If you for some reason don't get wardrobe boxes at least keep your clothes on hangers and then put garbage bags over them.  You just cut a hole in the bottom of the bag for the hanger to go through and then the clothes all stay together. 
    -Don't procrastinate!
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_moving-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b87c592-7d65-42a5-9d22-dbf942f51aa2Post:38e4d2cd-00cd-47d3-a648-d84879381016">Re: Moving tips</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moving tips : Ha! Tell that to N. He won't get rid of anything, not even clothes he hasn't worn in 6 years!! It's a good thing we have a basement at our new place so that I won't have to see all of his junk.
    Posted by ggmae[/QUOTE]

Just do it for him.  I've thrown away lots of FI's things since moving in together in February.  He hasn't noticed.  Our next move will be so much easier. :)
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • Options
    Shelly - I know.  I need to get in gear and start doing shiit this week...hopefully Em will cooperate and be good and not need to be in my arms all the time!

J&K - we'll look into it.  They give us $ to move, so we just need to figure out if we can swing it.  At the very least, we're hiring someone to schlep out into the 100 degree heat to put everything in the pod.  We had to unpack everything when I moved here 2 years ago, and it was AWFUL.  I could only do maybe 15 minutes at a time and then needed a 30 minute break to cool down.  And I wish I could drink, but it's not the smartest to do with Em.  :(

Les - I fully plan to!  I didn't want to start before he was officially offered the job because I didn't want to jinx it.  Yes, I believe in the jinx.  :)

The good thing is that I saved all my boxes from moving down here, and we tried to hang on to product specific boxes from stuff we got for the wedding.  So all of our china and stemware will be put back in their original boxes along with some other stuff.  We'll still need to buy more boxes, but I can start now.

And I have 2 wardrobe boxes from when I moved down here - they were expensive but well worth it!

Ang - Em is good.  Got her 2 month shots today and has been sleeping and somewhat grumpy when she's been awake, but she's a trooper.  We gave her a bath and then put her to bed...here's hoping she'll sleep well tonight!

• Options
    Well you know where I am at, if you need anything just let me know.

When I moved I actually gave everything away so I'm no help with packing, plus these ladies I think have that covered.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Sucrets YGPM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards