Snarky Brides
Options

Moving tips

2»

Re: Moving tips

• Options
    ygpm back, kd!

Shelly - ygpm, too, if you're reading this.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Liquor stores are good for boxes. I just moved, and I put almost everything into liquor store boxes. They're sturdy and a great size for books. DO NOT pack books into anything larger than a wine or beer box. Books are heavy.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    Sarah - I know!  B had to ship down some books when he moved and those suckers were expensive.  I also have a lot of crates, so I try to put my books in there, even though they're less protected.

• Options
    K ByteK Byte member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Yeah, Ashtabula is pretty isolated. Mentor is nice though and they have pretty good public schools up there. I hope you like snow though! They get a ton of it up there because of the way the fronts move across Lake Erie ... that region of northeast OH is called the Snow Belt for a reason. Good luck with your move!
  • Options

The only moving tip that I have is to be as whiney as possible and / or break shiit so that it makes it easier and more pleasant for your partner to pack the truck with out you.

And congrats to B! That's so exciting.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_moving-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b87c592-7d65-42a5-9d22-dbf942f51aa2Post:9f387df5-a288-47f3-a8d9-ea7da8d67e0c">Re: Moving tips</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, Ashtabula is pretty isolated. Mentor is nice though and they have pretty good public schools up there. I hope you like snow though! They get a ton of it up there because of the way the fronts move across Lake Erie ... that region of northeast OH is called the Snow Belt for a reason. Good luck with your move!
    Posted by K Byte[/QUOTE]

I love snow!  I grew up on Long Island, but went to college in waaay upstate NY.  We were out of the snow belt, but it was so cold that whatever we got stayed on the ground for months.  I have friends all over the state and know what lake effect snow is like, plus DH grew up in Grand Rapids.  We're psyched! 

I can deal with snow, I can't deal with the fact that it's 100 degrees out every day down here.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_moving-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b87c592-7d65-42a5-9d22-dbf942f51aa2Post:9a7a981a-645b-429c-bfd1-410f2c7266ec">Re: Moving tips</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only moving tip that I have is to be as whiney as possible and / or break shiit so that it makes it easier and more pleasant for your partner to pack the truck with out you. And congrats to B! That's so exciting.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

Awesome plan, C!  I'll keep that in mind, but I can always use Em as an excuse, too. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_moving-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b87c592-7d65-42a5-9d22-dbf942f51aa2Post:6d40a40e-d40a-4e18-9441-7a30512d8aab">Re: Moving tips</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moving tips : Awesome plan, C!  I'll keep that in mind, but I can always use Em as an excuse, too. 
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]

Oh. Good thinking. See. Babies are good for something.
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_moving-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b87c592-7d65-42a5-9d22-dbf942f51aa2Post:77251724-64c0-42f9-a014-55b8e87c70a6">Re: Moving tips</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moving tips : Just do it for him.  I've thrown away lots of FI's things since moving in together in February.  He hasn't noticed.  Our next move will be so much easier. :)
    Posted by ms_teach[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking of doing this!
  • Options
    First , get a diagram of your floor plan where you are now and another diagram of the new place.  Jiggle it around until the furniture makes some sense in it's new home.

Get colored labels and use them to code what goes where when unpacked.

Get some big gold or silver star to mark boxes that contain valuables such as your silver, china, etc.

Pack one case each with MUSTS.  baby stuff, ybasic clothes for during the move.  Pack water and granola bars in case you need a snack during the move.  Put a case of water in the moving van.  You never know when water hookups are on or off so make sure for the first day/night

let me think of more
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm just a lurker here:

Get clear plastic storage totes with different colored lids, and put stuff from each room in boxes with the same colored lids. That way, it's easier to know where they go when you get to the new place, and the clear sides will quickly let you identify the contents--it saves time over labeling.

While packing, designate a special spot or corner of the house for boxes. Having them laying all over the place is just annoying and stressful.

In the back of your car--basic cleaning supplies, garbage bags, paper towels, all important documents, toilet paper, snacks and drinks, and disposable eating utensils since you probably won't feel like having to unpack the dishes before you want to eat. If you plan on eating out until you're mostly unpacked, scrap that.

ETA: Make sure the chemicals in the back of your car would be able to clean everything in the new place. Clorox wipes are good too since they're lightweight and work everywhere. If you have space, bring your vacuum in the back of your car too. We've found that landlords sometimes have different ideas of "clean" than we do.

ETA: We always remove the legs from our kitchen table. I think it makes it easier to move and I always worry about the legs breaking otherwise.
    imageimage
  • Options
    sucrets4sucrets4 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2010
    Amy - thanks!  I wondered about the table legs and it's good to hear that people do that.

Where are you from in NY?  I went to college in Potsdam.

Oh, and post more!

• Options
    Actually un-pack.  I know that sounds obvious but when we moved from AZ to KS as kids my parents didn't even unpack somethings.  Those things were still in boxes 10 years later when we moved from KS to MI.  I know I personally have a few boxes in their storage room with things I never unpacked.  It's just good to purge things. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    K ByteK Byte member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Also that area of Ohio is nice in that it's Ohio's wine country so you can take a bunch of wine tours in Geneva, Madison, etc. We spent a day up there a few weeks ago and it was super pretty. If you're a northerner to begin with that's awesome because the snow situation there in the winter can be seriously insane! :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_moving-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b87c592-7d65-42a5-9d22-dbf942f51aa2Post:3dfb1c96-0474-4cce-a5fc-bc5a3e11a01b">Re: Moving tips</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moving tips : Oh. Good thinking. See. Babies are good for something.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

I knew they had to have SOME purpose.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_moving-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b87c592-7d65-42a5-9d22-dbf942f51aa2Post:6e37f05c-38ed-4c6e-b349-f70a740e8b91">Re: Moving tips</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know you said you have most of your boxes already, but for any other boxes you need, buy rubbermaid totes instead. They're waterproof, rodent-proof, and they have built in handles, no matter the size. We moved almost exclusively in rubbermaids (and suitcases), and it was so easy. Easy to label, super easy to stack as you pack them, and in the moving truck. Then you still have them for other storage purposes once you get to the new house- we use them for our recycling bins, extra bedding, camping stuff, holiday decorations etc. Makes life so much easier.
    Posted by mrs.jesse[/QUOTE]

I missed this before!  We have a bunch already.  I have clothes in a few of them and should really take them out so that we can use them for other things.  Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards