Snarky Brides
Options

talky time

Re: talky time

• Options
    Thanks!  I'll add that to my list. 

I just finished the James Patterson Private Games which is all about the 2012 Olympics but it's a combo of fiction and actual facts.  I had a hard time keeping things straight in my head all weekend. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_talky-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ca71b0c-98b2-4710-bdb8-4cbe88d05eaaPost:b8cb4832-52d1-4d5b-93af-5806d421ff66">Re: talky time</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: talky time : Loved that book, looking forward to picking up the sequel!  Are you enjoying it?
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]

I don't know!! I do like it but I think I'd like it more if I wasn't reading it on a e-reader. That sounds silly but I can't get into things as much. My E-reader is a POS. I was looking at the sequel today and I think I'll get it, but a real book. I like all the history stuff. I think I'm like half-way through?
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_talky-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ca71b0c-98b2-4710-bdb8-4cbe88d05eaaPost:2e616966-450a-4755-9656-84061d944efb">Re: talky time</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: talky time : I don't know!! I do like it but I think I'd like it more if I wasn't reading it on a e-reader. That sounds silly but I can't get into things as much. My E-reader is a POS. I was looking at the sequel today and I think I'll get it, but a real book. I like all the history stuff. I think I'm like half-way through?
    Posted by acaponi87[/QUOTE]

It is definitely long, especially with all the detail!  Which is what I loved about it.  And she references Handel's "Acis and Galatea" which inspired me to get my butt in gear with my thesis research again, so I went to a book signing to thank her.  I'm such a geek.  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    Oh good grief Al.  Yeah, I can see how that would turn you off a drink real quick.  I guess the upside is they didn't have to down one while planking (another thing I don't get).
  • Options
    Girlie yeah I don't get planking at all. Owling was kind of fun because it was making fun of planking and we have a good amount of fun stuff to perch on. Here's H owling on our HM:

JCG what's your thesis on exactly?
    50 Shades ruined Tallis for me :(
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    Wow, I'm really out of the loop.  I've never even heard of owling. 
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_talky-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ca71b0c-98b2-4710-bdb8-4cbe88d05eaaPost:a819919e-41ed-4415-9ad6-385f28e2b833">Re: talky time</a>:
    [QUOTE]
    JCG what's your thesis on exactly? 50 Shades ruined Tallis for me :(
    Posted by acaponi87[/QUOTE]

My working title is "Handel and his Sorceresses: Visions of the Supernatural in 18th Century London".  I'm looking at his "magic" operas that have a sorceress as a main character - <em>Rinaldo</em>, <em>Teseo</em>, <em>Amadigi</em>, and <em>Alcina</em> - and studying how the music for the sorceresses is written, what kind of impact the singers he wrote the roles for had on the characterizations, how they compare to other strong female roles in his operas (like Cleopatra in <em>Giulio Cesare</em>), and if the changing public attitude towards witchcraft and sorcery is a factor. 

• Options
    In Response to Re:talky time:[QUOTE]Wow, I'm really out of the loop.nbsp; I've never even heard of owling.nbsp; Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. Although I only had the vaguest idea what planking was and when i did see it I still didn't "get it."
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_talky-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ca71b0c-98b2-4710-bdb8-4cbe88d05eaaPost:93ea2a7c-a0f8-40ea-b5cc-3b71a1728ca2">Re: talky time</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: talky time : My working title is "Handel and his Sorceresses: Visions of the Supernatural in 18th Century London".  I'm looking at his "magic" operas that have a sorceress as a main character - Rinaldo , Teseo , Amadigi , and Alcina - and studying how the music for the sorceresses is written, what kind of impact the singers he wrote the roles for had on the characterizations, how they compare to other strong female roles in his operas (like Cleopatra in Giulio Cesare ), and if the changing public attitude towards witchcraft and sorcery is a factor. 
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]

That sounds really interesting!

And ladies, there is nothing to really "get" about owling/planking. It's stupid.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    Dang jcg! 

Celtic, I only knew of planking because one of our wedding guests decided to do it on her 1/8 mile walk from our reception to the hotel until someone reminded her that it was scorpion season. 
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    I *love* my topic, but I've found it hard to stay motivated to do the research and the writing.  Life keeps getting in the way.

• Options
    jcg, I'd read that thesis. 
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_talky-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ca71b0c-98b2-4710-bdb8-4cbe88d05eaaPost:fc605a58-bebc-46a8-9a0a-6e352b8c9514">Re: talky time</a>:
    [QUOTE]jcg, I'd read that thesis. 
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

Aw, thanks Girlie! 

• Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    Holy crap, Dot! What happened?

• Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    Fvck no, that is BS! How unbelievably unprofessional and shitty of her to lose your stuff and then give you the runaround. I really hope the district manager will be able to make it right. Ugh!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_talky-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ca71b0c-98b2-4710-bdb8-4cbe88d05eaaPost:ba78ddcf-89cc-4946-9e7c-f1d5c3e3929b">Re: talky time</a>:
    [QUOTE]You and me both. Over $350 in alterations that will not happen now until just two weeks before the wedding screwing my schedule up like crazy and you do not have the authority to do anything? I wanted to reach through the phone and choke her lights out.
    Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]

<div>That really sucks, Dot!  That's good that you were able to get the district manager on the phone.  I would have cut a biiitch if something like that happened to my dress.</div>
    knotsigpicture Anniversary
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    Wow. Unbelievable. Is there something in the water today, or a full moon? I spent the whole day pissed off at the director I work with, he hired someone for a project he had started with me earlier in the year and tabled, and didn't have the decency to let me know. I found out on FB when the person he hired trumpeted her "ZOMG exciting news!" and I felt hurt, blindsided and completely disrespected.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_talky-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ca71b0c-98b2-4710-bdb8-4cbe88d05eaaPost:2fdd2543-2b95-418a-b3a3-fc24c1b22981">Re:talky time</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow. Unbelievable. Is there something in the water today, or a full moon? I spent the whole day pissed off at the director I work with, he hired someone for a project he had started with me earlier in the year and tabled, and didn't have the decency to let me know. I found out on FB when the person he hired trumpeted her "ZOMG exciting news!" and I felt hurt, blindsided and completely disrespected.
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]

<div>It is 95% of full right now, so almost a full moon.  But that blows, jcg.  The least he could have done is told you.  </div>
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    Yeah, I'm pretty bitter right now. I called him about it and he couldn't get me off the phone fast enough. He told me I was "overthinking" it. Grrr.

• Options
    I can nutpunch him for you :)
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    edited July 2012
    I tried, called him after I calmed down a bit, but he didn't offer any kind of explanation, pretty much blew me off with "we don't need to talk about this right now" and "you're overthinking this.". Then when I went to drop something off to him, unrelated, he sent someone to pick it up from me, so he is avoiding me. I've been sick over it all day.

• Options
    He probably knows he fucked up and is hoping you'll drop it.  
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    In Response to Re:talky time:[QUOTE]I can nutpunch him for you : Posted by texasgurly13[/QUOTE]
    Gotta say, that would make me feel better. I'm vindictive that way.

• Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    In Response to Re:talky time:[QUOTE]Over thinking it? Wtf does that mean? What was his explanation? Did he forget you were on the project first? Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I think he did forget. He is very flighty sometimes and he speaks and acts without thinking. I really should know better by now than to trust him. I think the "overthinking" comment was his way of stalling me. He really didn't offer any kind of explanation so now I have to follow up to get some clarity on my role there.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_talky-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ca71b0c-98b2-4710-bdb8-4cbe88d05eaaPost:d99300ec-e6bb-40ac-ad44-7a5b65836dff">Re:talky time</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:talky time: Gotta say, that would make me feel better. I'm vindictive that way.
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]

<div>Tell me when and where.  </div>
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    In Response to Re:talky time:[QUOTE]What a douche. Do you have any recourse really or can he pretty much just decide arbitrarily who to give the job to? Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]
    He is the head of all the programs, and I'm a contract artist, so there really isn't any recourse for me.

• Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    edited July 2012
    In Response to Re:talky time:He probably knows he fucked up and is hoping you'll drop it. nbsp; Posted by texasgurly13 That's likely. I have a very, very slim hope that he is going to say that he hired this other person to work WITH me and not INSTEAD of me. But if that was the case wouldn't he just have said so? I'm not optimistic.

• Options
    Cool!  I need to let off some steam anyways.  I'm still missing 30something response cards from my RSVPs and numbers for caterer are due Friday.  I really do feel like junkpunching someone. 
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    I will look back in my email and see. But it is something he was trying to get off the ground, and I was part of it, but it was never official. I'm being purposely vague because the nature of it would be a dead giveaway. I doubt any of the people involved are on TK but JIC.

• Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    In Response to Re:talky time:[QUOTE]Cool! nbsp;I need to let off some steam anyways. nbsp;I'm still missing 30something response cards from my RSVPs and numbers for caterer are due Friday. nbsp;I really do feel like junkpunching someone.nbsp; Posted by texasgurly13[/QUOTE]
    Oh man, I remember that feeling all too well! Can you enlist parents to help you track people down?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards