Snarky Brides

Um hello?!

Re: Um hello?!

• THat looks like a nice house Sept.  We've started eyeing up rentals in CO.  If I get this job I'm going to have two or three weeks to find something to move into I think.  That's about as long as I can get my brother to allow me to stay with him for.  He's pretty adamant that he doesn't mind H staying there when he's in town (which isn't that often), but he is NOT living with a sibling ever again.
  • Sorry J&K.  If we'd listened to that fact when we bought our house, we might not be as far upside down on it and we'd be selling it to move, rather than dealing with being long-distance landlords.
  • School districts are a whole other can of worms. I'm realizing the impact they have on property taxes now that we're looking to move. Sheeeeeeesh.
  • I enjoyed shopping for a house, but it was a lot of work. I love our house now, but I think it's sinking. Ugh.

Good evening everyone. I've felt like crap for the last three days, so I went to Urgent Care today and found out it was allergies. Weird, I've never had allergies that make it feel like my throat is on fire and like my ears will pop off when I swallow. I got an allergy shot and am feeling moderately better.

Right now I just woke up from a nap and H is still asleep. He's got a major headache, so I'm just going to leave him alone.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_um-hello-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2334707c-38ec-488e-bb9c-6d5b385bba20Post:8400d129-7f82-4b54-ab40-6b057cb86b65">Re: Um hello?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry J&K.  If we'd listened to that fact when we bought our house, we might not be as far upside down on it and we'd be selling it to move, rather than dealing with being long-distance landlords.
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

Luckily, the areas we're looking at are home to the better schools in town...just not schools I'd choose to send my children too.  But we'd probably do private school if we had kids and lived in town here.  So at least we're by the better schools!

It's not so much teh quality of education as the safety of the schools, unfortunately.  There is so much gang activity in ALL th epublic schools here (even in the middle schools, and starting to trickle into the elementary schools, which makes me so sad), that you really can't win.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • SEWF, H used to have brutal allergy attacks where his throat would actually swell and bleed like he had terrible strep. He had allergy shots for about a year, and is loads better now than he used to be. It can still flare up (he's basically allergic to the whole world) but when it does, it's much less severe than it used to be.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_um-hello-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2334707c-38ec-488e-bb9c-6d5b385bba20Post:da289718-5f06-474e-8aed-8af39aafa7c6">Re: Um hello?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]School districts are a whole other can of worms. I'm realizing the impact they have on property taxes now that we're looking to move. Sheeeeeeesh.
    Posted by september's bride[/QUOTE]

<div>Are they a big issue there?  Because here I feel like they aren't really. There are a couple schools in our district I would try to avoid but I have never really thought it affected house prices...interesting...</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_um-hello-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2334707c-38ec-488e-bb9c-6d5b385bba20Post:7b291fe2-4def-4ed8-9db8-859ad6330c83">Re: Um hello?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I enjoyed shopping for a house, but it was a lot of work. I love our house now, but I think it's sinking. Ugh. Good evening everyone. I've felt like crap for the last three days, so I went to Urgent Care today and found out it was allergies. Weird, I've never had allergies that make it feel like my throat is on fire and like my ears will pop off when I swallow. I got an allergy shot and am feeling moderately better. Right now I just woke up from a nap and H is still asleep. He's got a major headache, so I'm just going to leave him alone.
    Posted by SEWF[/QUOTE]

I get the WORST sore throats at the beginning of my allergy seasons,a nd I definitely get the clogged up ears too.  It blows!  I hope your allergy shot helps.

• September- I love that house, but you can reach out the window and touch your neighbor. Not sure I could be that close.

Jes- I love all things HGTV and DIY channel. DH thinks I'm obsessed, between that and Hoarders, I just may be ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I used to LOVE Trading Spaces.  My mom and I would watch together every Saturday (or was it Sunday??) morning.  I miss that show so hard.

• I need to be a millionaire a few times over to buy a house that has all my "inspiration" from Pinterest in it... 
  • number, I had NO idea until I started speaking to a realtor in Brantford. Basically, the subdivision we're looking at has access to three of the newest schools in the city. They're top-rated for all sorts of stuff (apparently...I've not done all the research) and this impacts the property taxes. I don't think it has as much impact here as in the states, but I could be wrong.

The house we're looking at has taxes around $4400/year, which is quite high considering that the COL and other relative costs are much lower there than they are here.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_um-hello-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2334707c-38ec-488e-bb9c-6d5b385bba20Post:7c4b17ee-6dad-4dac-bcbe-53e68ad7a5d5">Re: Um hello?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]SEWF, H used to have brutal allergy attacks where his throat would actually swell and bleed like he had terrible strep. He had allergy shots for about a year, and is loads better now than he used to be. It can still flare up (he's basically allergic to the whole world) but when it does, it's much less severe than it used to be.

<div>Huh. Learn something new every day. I'm glad your H is doing better! I guess since I'd never had allergies before, I figured if I got allergies it would be the sniffly, sneezy variety. I definitely feel like I have strep or something similar, but the tests and doctor said no. I wish I knew what I was allergic to, though. I work in a used bookstore, so people bring their dusty, sometimes moldy and gross, books to us. I've been there 5 years, though, and never had a problem. Our weather has been weird this year, though, so maybe its super pollen or something.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_um-hello-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2334707c-38ec-488e-bb9c-6d5b385bba20Post:7720dc88-a2ae-4c11-afa0-96599332b254">Re: Um hello?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used to LOVE Trading Spaces.  My mom and I would watch together every Saturday (or was it Sunday??) morning.  I miss that show so hard.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah! And Moving Up.

Right now I'm looking at bedroom furniture and thinking about paint chips.
  • Haha, KD - there aren't many places around here where you can get much space between you and your neighbour's house. We're in a townhouse now (though only attached by the garage) so really, any detached space would be an improvement!
  • Sept, that house is beautiful! So light and open.
  • It really is a pretty home. We went to see it a few times, and it's got a really nice flow. The owners want to downsize because the husband is a pilot and away so much that it's just too much house for her to manage on her own with two kids. I asked a lot of questions, and it's obvious how much they both love the house and don't want to leave, even though they know they really need to. I can't blame them...it's such a great space.
  • I reallly reallllly need to get motivated to go do my Insanity workout.  But I'm having such a nice time sitting on the couch with the cat and H, looking at houses online.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_um-hello-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2334707c-38ec-488e-bb9c-6d5b385bba20Post:d5037e23-f40f-47d8-8c3a-ac48377c4b92">Re: Um hello?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha, KD - there aren't many places around here where you can get much space between you and your neighbour's house. We're in a townhouse now (though only attached by the garage) so really, any detached space would be an improvement!

True! I guess we're just used to space here.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_um-hello-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2334707c-38ec-488e-bb9c-6d5b385bba20Post:87a47c48-ab9f-43fa-a56e-6bfd1d6fda1f">Re: Um hello?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]number, I had NO idea until I started speaking to a realtor in Brantford. Basically, the subdivision we're looking at has access to three of the newest schools in the city. They're top-rated for all sorts of stuff (apparently...I've not done all the research) and this impacts the property taxes. I don't think it has as much impact here as in the states, but I could be wrong. The house we're looking at has taxes around $4400/year, which is quite high considering that the COL and other relative costs are much lower there than they are here.

<div>interesting. I know that the school where I work is apparently a 'coveted school' (we were in some parenting magazine for being a good school, we have an arts focus) so parents want to live in that catchment area but I didn't know it would affect property taxes. I will have to look into it.</div><div>
    </div><div>I know our system is really different than the US since for the most part you don't have any say where your kid goes to school (other than choosing between catholic and public as opposed to private).</div>
  • I'd love to have more space, even some acreage. For us to be able to get that and still have access to the highway for commuting will be pretty tough. We did see another place: http://comfree.com/2-storey-for-sale-brantford-ontario-166259 and instantly fell in love, but the commute would have been such a PITA in the winter through the country roads that we ultimately had to say no.

I admit, I shed a few tears over walking away from that place.
  • Yay house hunting! It IS stressful, but so worth it.

and, Sept- it makes me laugh that $4400 is a lot for property taxes on a $400,000 house.  Our house was appraised at about $140,000 (we got a fantastic deal. I think it's worth more, but whatever.)  Our taxes are about $3500.  It's insane.

J, you should probably send me links to the houses you look at. I miss house shopping....what are taxes like down there??
  • Sept, that house you just posted? The grey one with a huge yard? Freaking gorgeous. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_um-hello-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2334707c-38ec-488e-bb9c-6d5b385bba20Post:25811c34-4172-4a85-b288-d8273d06b046">Re: Um hello?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yay house hunting! It IS stressful, but so worth it. and, Sept- it makes me laugh that $4400 is a lot for property taxes on a $400,000 house.  Our house was appraised at about $140,000 (we got a fantastic deal. I think it's worth more, but whatever.)  <strong>Our taxes are about $3500.</strong>  It's insane.   J, you should probably send me links to the houses you look at. I miss house shopping....what are taxes like down there??
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

Omg. I would cry. Our townhome was appraised at $176,000 and our property taxes are currently about $1400. I know things are calculated differently on a townhome, but I think we're just sticker-shocked by the jump in taxes.
  • I just found easy A on (on demand), I love this freaking movie. I wish I was emma stone.
  • It was just one of those things we had to factor into our budget.  It cut down our price range quite a bit, to be honest.  It's about $275/mo or something on our PITI.  Compared to like $750 for the principle. Ouch. Supposedly we have really good schools, but it's really hit-or-miss street by street, I think.  I mean, the city does do a fantastic job taking care of the roads and we have a lot of city-maintained parks and stuff.  But still. 
  • And yeah, that house is really nice, huh? It honestly didn't have anything wrong with it, and I was ready to buy it that day. Then the husband started talking about how he hoped we had a 4x4 because the snow tended to close the roads in the winter. H is perpetually on call, and for him to be inaccessible to work would not be a good thing, so we had to walk. :(
  • I love Emma Stone.

Oh. H used to have a pair of pants like the ones you posted earlier, Nebb.  They somehow got 'lost' in the move to the house. oops. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_um-hello-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2334707c-38ec-488e-bb9c-6d5b385bba20Post:3a6d93ed-1ecb-4be2-bf09-7616ef1a7223">Re: Um hello?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just found easy A on (on demand), I love this freaking movie. I wish I was emma stone.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

<div>Easy A,Pride and Prejudice, and Leap Year are my go-to movies. Emma Stone and Mila Kunis are my girl crushes. I actually watched Easy A for the first time the night before my wedding.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards