Snarky Brides
Options

Unpopular Wedding Opinions

Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions

• Options
    chucks:

My FI doesn't even own a pair (I do though!) and wouldn't think about not wearing dress shoes to his own wedding, thankfully. It just reminds me of middle school - for choral concerts, not a lot of 12 year old boys owned dress shoes yet, so they'd wear sneakers with their khakis and sports coats. But by the time you get married, you can buy a freaking pair of dress shoes.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I agree with Mery about tipping. As a guest, I tip, but I would definitely ask the venue ahead of time to either not accept tips (especially if gratuity is included) or have a discreet tip basket under the bar where no one can see.
  • Options
    i would rather eat at 4:30 than have a gap, to be honest.
  • Options
    -I think it's fine to tell your BM's what to wear.  It's pretty much the norm in my group of friends although the brides have usually at least given a choice of a few dresses.  I don't mind matching BM dresses or non-matching.  I guess I like pretty much anything the bride decides to do!

-I think it's fine to give guidelines to the couple's parents on what to wear (to coordinate with the WP or not). 

-I would not want to go to a dry wedding, esp one at night.  I would go, but I would be annoyed. 

-I HATE the garter toss (not such an UO huh?) but don't mind the bouquet toss.

-I think junior brides and junior grooms are creepy.
  • Options
    I hate the bouquet and the garter toss almost equally.

I dislike whent he MOG and MOB match the wedding colors. As long as they don't clash with key players, whatever. But how many pictures do you REALLY have of your mom and your BMs, unless your siblings are in the WP?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:916a0cc9-db52-4cc1-aa3f-307d4e15401c">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't like cash bars or dollar dances.  I think your guests have spent enough on a present and arranging their time to be there and that they should not have to shell out any more money for anything.  That's just IMHO.   I don't like bridesmaids wearing black whether it is a fall or winter wedding.  I  know it's super trendy now but I really don't like it!  I also don't like when brides don't match their colors to the season, i.e. having pastels in winter or dark colors in summer.   And I really don't like when guests show up in inappropriate attire.  I am a bartender at a hotel that is constantly having weddings and you would not believe some of the outfits I've seen women wear.  Some of the stuff I would not even wear to a nightclub!   I like traditional.  I like the chicken dance and the hokey pokey.  I like guests not wearing unrelieved black and, of course, not wearing white.  I like head tables.  I like groomsmen in tuxes - but don't like bow ties or cummerbunds.  I like bridesmaids to match.  My bridesmaids matched dresses, shoes and hair.  Though I did have them brainstorm to see what they liked best for hair and shoes.  The dresses I picked and they were so beautiful I wished I had one! I don't mind if people register for expensive items as long as there are some reasonable ones as well.  I think the bride should pay whatever she wishes for her dress as long as she can afford it.    I guess I'm just super picky and judgmental.  Sorry!  Hope no one is offended! <strong>P.S. FYI to all you wedding guests out there - just because it is a free bar doesn't mean you shouldn't tip the bartender.  That is usually considered the proper thing to do unless the bartender specifically says no.  </strong>
    Posted by wendyw1107[/QUOTE]
    This is so true!! I can't tell you how many times I've served people during open bar functions and people think they don't have to tip.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    oh, and i'm actually not a fan of the groom crawling up the bride's dress to get the garter even though i have a pic of steve taking off mine. we had instructed our venue that we were going to skip that and i'd go take it off and give it to steve. well, they set up a chair, announced the tosses, and called us in. we were on the spot and were stuck doing it. luckily, i had it around my knee and steve got it fairly quickly. gah. i was so annoyed.

at least they remembered our instructions that we were NOT going to have the guy who caught the garter put it on the lady who caught the bouquet.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:3869548f-1ad5-4dbd-b8a0-ef93615cd84b">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]i would rather eat at 4:30 than have a gap, to be honest.
    Posted by SarahSmile23[/QUOTE]

Me too.  Or have a cocktail hour with apps.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:b92b5032-3b68-48bb-aadc-2327a541f567">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions : Me too.  Or have a cocktail hour with apps.
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

<div align="left">yes!

the worst is a gap and THEN a cocktail hour. really? i just killed time for 1.5--2 hrs and grabbed a snack after your long-ass wedding. now i get to kill another hour with another snack  before the reception begins?

add a cash bar to that equation and you would have to be a very good friend for me to stick around!</div>
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010

I hate child attendants that can barely walk/take direction. I don't care if it's your best friend's/sister's your own child. If they can't walk in a straight line without needed their hand held or somebody coaching them the whole way ("Timmy, walk to uncle Joey, come on-no, don't stop at Grandma!"), then they're too damn young.

Seriously, if the kid is that young anyway, they aren't going to harbor some deep resentment towards you and be scarred for life if you don't include them. They aren't going to need therapy when they're 27 because "Aunt Lucy didn't let me be a FG when I was 2!". They probably won't even know they attended your wedding unless they see themselves in the photos.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    MaggieandJakeMaggieandJake member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I am actually FOR assigned seating at weddings simply for the fact that I've been to few in the past couple years where there wasn't assigned seating and our group of friends DIDN'T get to sit together because every two or 3 some staked out a table leaving a bunch of partially occupied tables.  In fact just this past weekend, I was at a wedding where one of our friends had to sit by himself with a table of strangers. 
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:6ffabab5-f78a-4a5e-8047-9a1cbee58796">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions : I am having a fake wedding next summer.  I will always look at our JOP wedding as our real wedding and yes, everyone knows we are married.  I personally could do without all the wedding hoopla like the bach/bachlorette parties and the bridal shower but our families are adamant about doing all of this for us.  I feel awkward as hell registering for gifts and I hate honeymoon registries too.  I don't know what I'm going to do.
    Posted by amylydia23[/QUOTE]

Are we the same people?

<--- JOP for immigration purposes

Also, I hate the cake-in-the-face thing. It is not cute. I find it disrespectful. I don't know how that became a "tradition"  or why people think it is funny.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I've wanted to do a bidcage veil for so long, and even though I agree it's a little played out, I'm still doing it :)  I think its a pretty classic look that won't go out of style, even if it is uber trendy right now.

Not doing any garter or bouquet toss.

Not doing a WP at all except a FG (fi's cousin's little girl) and RB (our son).

I really wanted to do assigned tables, even though we are doing a buffet, because I didn't want people wandering around not knowing where to sit or whatever.  Now I'm reconsidering... 
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    To be fair, I do think things like candy buffets, jumping picture shots, chucks, bird cage veils and photobooths probably seem a lot more played out to those of us who spend a lot of time on the knot boards looking at weddings. Those things only really bug me if I see a wedding that has to jam pack all the current wedding trends into their day.
  • Options
    At my sister's wedding, her crappy DJ had the guy that caught the garter put the garter on the girl who caught the bouquet.  I've never seen that before that wedding and I thought it was super-weird.  Like, it had to go up a certain point on her leg.  It was also awkward because this guy, another girl's FI, had to basically plant his face in the bouquet-catcher's crotch.  I think that's really gross.

I like the sweetheart table.  I'm not so comfortable with all eyes on me, but I like the idea of my BP to sit with their guests.
    White Knot Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I hate any type of cash bar.  I don't care if it's beer and wine only, but don't ask me to open my wallet at your wedding.

I hate the look of uneven wedding parties.  I don't care if it's acceptable, it never looks right to me.

I prefer matching dresses for the BMs.  I don't mind if the MOH has a different dress, but the guys all match, so I feel the same for the girls.  My dresses happen to be long, but if you could see their shoes, I'd ask for matching ones there too.

I think it looks nicer when the moms dresses blend with the color scheme, and when they asked me that, i told them.
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Options
    I like head tables, and I never questioned our decision to have one. Most of our wedding party was single, and had come from out of state to be in the wedding, and it gave us more time to chat while we ate dinner, etc.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:e3d2ba43-e2da-4e18-a9e2-fe4fabc0fa59">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]To be fair, I do think things like candy buffets, jumping picture shots, chucks, bird cage veils and photobooths probably seem a lot more played out to those of us who spend a lot of time on the knot boards looking at weddings. Those things only really bug me if I see a wedding that has to jam pack all the current wedding trends into their day.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

Oh, I definitely agree with this. I've never been to a real-life candy buffet or photobooth wedding. :-)
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options

I'm anti garter / bouquet toss but I don't care if others do it.

I witnessed a super awkward one. The DJ took the girl who caught the bouquet and the guy who caught the garter and made them replay the whole "go get the garter routine. What's awkward? They were brother and sister and the DJ insisted on continuing. Super hilarious.

• Options
    Question: Are those who are not doing the garter toss going to wear a garter?  I had not planned to wear one so if the DJ or MC popped this on us there'd be nothing for FI to find under there (other than my underwear so ew).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:0dce30ab-a503-4ca9-9660-3250ded5f0ac">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions : A girl on my local and (formerly) my club board could NOT find and book a venue she and her FI liked in their 15 month engagement. She had 15 months to plan and kept complaining about how she couldn't find something they both loved, so they moved their wedding back. She was just soooo stressed. I'm sorry, I know people with less stress who have planned weddings in 5 months. She pushed her wedding back in May, I think, which means she couldn't find a VENUE, let alone any other vendors, in 10 months. Actually, she put a deposit down on a venue and decided she didn't like it (because it was a morning ceremony instead of an evening ceremony) and now is mad she can't get her deposit back. That's what non-refundable deposit means...
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

I know who you're talking about, and she's the only person I've ever used the *block* feature on. ;p

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:ee0fc1dd-d353-4535-b86c-4092905c9b12">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Question: Are those who are not doing the garter toss going to wear a garter?  I had not planned to wear one so if the DJ or MC popped this on us there'd be nothing for FI to find under there (other than my underwear so ew).
    Posted by TheCranberry[/QUOTE]

Nope. I didn't wear one. I figured it was pointless since we weren't doing the garter toss.
  • Options

MY FI and I are not very religious but are choosing to get married in a Catholic Church because
    A - where I'm from the weather is very fickle
    B- my Father in Law told us that if we don't we're going to hell
    HAHAHA!
    C  - It's important to his grandmas

As the wedding isn't just about US we decided that it's not that big of a deal where we do it as long as it happens :)

Almost nobody in my town has open bars... we're trying to do it but it just might not happen.. I think our family in friends would be MUCH more insulted to be cut from the guest list than have to pay for their own drinks (wine is free)

• Options
    edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:ee0fc1dd-d353-4535-b86c-4092905c9b12">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Question: Are those who are not doing the garter toss going to wear a garter?  I had not planned to wear one so if the DJ or MC popped this on us there'd be nothing for FI to find under there (other than my underwear so ew).

No, I'm not. :-) I thought about getting one with FI's favorite sports team, but he's not a HUGE fanatic, and I really don't want to waste the money. Nor do I want to support the Patriots. :-P

OMG Chrissy, I'm so glad you feel that way too. I'm afraid she'll see this, but I'm pretty sure there are only 3 boards she posts on (our club, my local and AAW). Like I said, I met her at a GTG before and I'll probably see her at another on next month. Also, now that I think about it, I think she got engaged in Feb '09, which would have given her a 20 month engagement. Who the hell can't plan a wedding in almost 2 years? She also complains about how 10-10-10 has MEANING to her and all the other biitches who booked that date just like the numbers.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:218992cb-6cac-457e-b72d-19bf1af4ed0e">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]MY FI and I are not very religious but are choosing to get married in a Catholic Church because A - where I'm from the weather is very fickle <strong>B- my Father in Law told us that if we don't we're going to hell</strong> HAHAHA! C  - It's important to his grandmas As the wedding isn't just about US we decided that it's not that big of a deal where we do it as long as it happens :) Almost nobody in my town has open bars... we're trying to do it but it just might not happen.. I think our family in friends would be MUCH more insulted to be cut from the guest list than have to pay for their own drinks (wine is free)
    Posted by superheroprincess[/QUOTE]

<div align="left">oooooooookay. i'm pretty sure you'd be more likely to go to "hell" due to not being religious than because of where you got married. i don't even believe in hell, but B just seemed silly to me. you don't get to save your soul by pretending to be religious, right? unless something has changed since the last time i went to church?

as far as the cash bar goes...you are paying for wine, so you get a thumbs up from me.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:b939a799-c6d9-48e0-9103-ecf1cbea2029">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]- -I think junior brides and junior grooms are creepy.

What are junior brides and grooms? That does sound creepy. :(
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:9952bb24-ba54-4c5b-88dc-162c5460469f">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE] She also complains about how 10-10-10 has MEANING to her and all the other biitches who booked that date just like the numbers.

Haha, I think we're safe here for the most part. I feel bad because she really seems like she wants people on the club board to like her, but I just can't. I've even told FI that her posts bug me for the same reasons you said, and if it's big enough to bring from the internet to the FI, you know I'm seriously annoyed.

10-10-10 has meaning to me because it's my wedding date, bitchez. ;p

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• Options
    I hate the garter toss like poison.  I hate anything that looks forced, like the tapping of the glasses for a kiss,  the fake pushing the cake into each other's faces, the wedding party choreographed dance.  I don't like people being forced to be goofy or zany.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:9952bb24-ba54-4c5b-88dc-162c5460469f">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions : No, I'm not. :-) I thought about getting one with FI's favorite sports team, but he's not a HUGE fanatic, and I really don't want to waste the money. Nor do I want to support the Patriots. :-P OMG Chrissy, I'm so glad you feel that way too. I'm afraid she'll see this, but I'm pretty sure there are only 3 boards she posts on (our club, my local and AAW). Like I said, I met her at a GTG before and I'll probably see her at another on next month. Also, now that I think about it, I think she got engaged in Feb '09, which would have given her a 20 month engagement. Who the hell can't plan a wedding in almost 2 years? She also complains about how 10-10-10 has MEANING to her and all the other biitches who booked that date just like the numbers.

I totally know who you are talking about too. I haven't met her but I feel the same way you do. 
  • Options
    I wore a garter mostly for J. That is, until it slipped a little and one of the ribbon ends showed and Andy, my nephew, decided he wanted to see what that was all about.

Yeah, my nephew tried to remove my garter by lifting my skirt WAY up. Greaat photo though. I caught it in time. And so did SIL, on the camera.

I'd rather see a junior bridesmaid/groomsman than a 10-15 year old ring bearer/flower girl.

I personally don't mind honorary attendants, if it doesn't involve more than a mention in the program and a corsage/boutionnere.

Along the lines of drinks prior to weddings, J had 3. Two in the bar between our room and my parents' room (where we got dressed) and one with my brother before the guys went down. And he needed them.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards