Snarky Brides
Options

Unpopular Wedding Opinions

12346»

Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:16c0d5c8-3bcc-49f4-b3ae-eb2bcfbc2d7e">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions : I totally know who you are talking about too. I haven't met her but I feel the same way you do. 
    Posted by DodgersBride[/QUOTE]

I think it's hilarious that she keeps having people call to see if the date is booked and then SHE calls to see if the date is booked. Dude, they're probably on to you by now. PS, I guess there's an LA GTG next month. You should come.

Missy, I'm definitely having a split of champagne in the limo before my ceremony. Not because I was liquid courage, but because eff it, I'm in a limo.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I have no issues with gaps.  I don't think it's rude at all.

I am not a fan of not being invited with a guest if I don't know anyone else at the wedding (now I know that's a whole chain of questions).

My FI is a bartender and he knows that people will tip the bartender even though we will be sure they are tipped properly.

• Options
    I hate the glass-tapping for kisses too.

Cake face smashing is gross.

I dont like veils over the face or dads giving the daughter away or any of that old fashioned stuff. It creeps me out, honestly. The lady isnt property nor is she some 14 year old virginal gift to a man for some land. I know this is probably only me who feels this way BUT YEAH.

Unity sand/candles are cheesy.

This is pretty bitchy but: I think a thin band with a pain solitaire is ugly. THERE I said it. I dont know. I'd prefer a plain band with nothing on it compared to that.

Other than that, I dont really have strong opinions on things. I'm doing a lot of passe stuff for our wedding, including BYOB. But we also have about 40-50 guests total, half of whom don't drink. I'm not paying a caterer $600 for a cash bar  for a few drunkards. And since we are having it at a relative's property, providing it ourselves would make us liable for any problems. No thanks! Laughing
  • Options
    I think that themed weddings are kind of cool, I would love to attend one.

I think that birdcage veils should only be worn with a short dress or a very sleek dress.  They look ridiculous with a pouffy dress in my opinion.

I think HM registries are fine.  

I wouldn't be offended if I got an invite that said "adult reception to follow" (though I wouldn't do it).

I wouldn't be offended to get a registry card with an invite (again I wouldn't do it).

I think that in most cases, rehearsals are unnecessary and a waste of time and money.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:eed87f78-b5eb-4a71-8f75-7babe72e1f6c">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Gaps don't bother me either. Most of my friends/family are Catholic so it's kind of the norm. I also agree with jasmine that I don't see the point in a church wedding if you/your FI aren't particularly religious. JMO but<strong> I don't think a church should just be a pretty backdrop for your vows.
    </strong>Posted by K Byte[/QUOTE]

thank you.  So happy to hear this.  I was raised Catholic, and along the way decided that I didn't want a 'label' and started attending a non-denominational church.  Long story short...I never did want to get married in a church, so when
    the time came, I got flack from my family.  Although I did reach out to a Catholic church...I'm happy to say we are exchanging vows at the venue, like we ORIGINALLY wanted.  But as you mentioned...neither myself or FI are religious/attend any church regularly, and I really felt like we would be perpetrating a fraud if we had went thru the motions (pre-cana, etc) just to have a pretty back-drop for exchanging our vows.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Seating charts Are necessary for divorced parents!!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:b48aee1a-f544-4ea1-8eff-7c707895d5f0">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions : I saw this happen at a wedding in South Jersey and was apalled, mostly because it was my own friends behaving this way.  It was an open bar wedding at a winery and they felt the need to pre-party before the ceremony AND the reception.  Of course, I think anyone who is past the age of 22 that needs to pre-party is basically pathetic.  But that's just me... and I drink a lot.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

Were we at the same wedding?? At Tomasello's in Hammonton??
  • Options
    I really dislike dollar dances, dollar dashes and bride auctions.....unless its part of the couple's culture.  Then I wince but try not to judge.

I prefer the wedding party to match but I wasn't going to require it.  My girls all loved the same dress....easily solved.  I don't think the girl's shoes have to match if the dresses are long.  I do think the bride should have a say in what the wedding party wears.

I don't like cake smashing.  A little icing on the face is cute if that's what the couple wants.  I do not want cake or icing all over my face, hair and dress.

I agree with MM that I don't judge or care what people register for.  If they are going to really use that $400 set of pots....great!

I will be drinking before my ceremony and reception.  My ceremony starts at 6:30pm (if I'm actually on time).  The idea of not starting to drink prior to the ceremony for us Italians is unheard of.  We also may have a mini 30 minute open bar time prior to the ceremony.  I like my alcohol.

I don't think seating plans/charts are always necessary but often are helpful.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-wedding-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2b3e3c99-be76-4033-81e4-1203415e6535Post:39a2c4b6-3101-4c33-bc7b-e97f194c8cce">Re: Unpopular Wedding Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the Catholic gap excuse thing is crap, and I am Catholic. This is an issue that needs to be resolved in terms of picking the right reception venue that will accomodate your start times, not the fault of the Catholic Church's mass schedule.<strong> I freaking love those really trashy British weddings with the horrid suits and hats. I will look pics from those all day long and I really want to go to one. I respect their 'go big or go home' attitude.</strong>
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

My first wedding was in the UK and you should have SEEN some of the hats- they were FABULOUS! I love hats, and often wear them to weddings here. :)
  • Options
    I hate the bouquet and garter toss (traumatic experience when I caught the bouquet)

I think it is so disrespectful to smash cake in each other's faces (dab of frosting on the nose is ok, though I don't want any cake on me).

I like when bridal parties match in size and attire (though the attire shouldn't be too matchy matchy, just well coordinated  i.e., don't make the GM vest match the dress, guys in hot pink or pastel blue vests look like they should be going to prom, not a wedding).  I don't understand the need for a huge BP.

I think HM registries are fine, and dislike how much slack they get on the knot.  If you don't like them, don't buy anything from them.  You should want to get something for the bride and groom that they want anyways.  I do get annoyed though when everything on somebody's registry is over $50 even if I was planning to spend that much (or more).  If somebody already bought the less expensive items that is my fault for procrastinating in buying a present, but to not have any just looks gift grabby and disrespectful to those with limited disposable income.

I dislike large gaps between the ceremony and reception.  I'm all dressed up, what the heck do you expect me to do for 3 hours (especially if I don't live nearby)?

I also get annoyed when there isn't a real vegetarian option.  The veggie and/or pasta sides to your meal don't really constitute a meal for me.  I'll just be hungry later and I'm crabby when I'm hungry (If you have insanely good desserts, I may forgive you for this, but put nuts in all of them (I'm allergic) and I will be very disappointed).
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    imageimage
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards