Snarky Brides
Options

Gun Poll

Re: Gun Poll

• Options
    Mine would have too, if he'd ever found out. It was a finch, too. Those little things would make it hard to find much meat!
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:c6f3583e-ba92-4383-91cf-d05c9f332e1d">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been around guns my entire life. I have no problem using them, owning them, or blowing away the first fucker who tries to break into my house. I don't believe in humanity or even basic consideration for anyone with intent to harm me or my family, and I can't imagine someone breaking into a house in the middle of the night, knowing people are inside, and NOT having intent to harm in mind. I will kill you or die trying.
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]

This exactly.  My dad even bought me a gun to keep in my apartment when I lived in a not so great area (the complex was great, but the surrounding area was a little sketch).  I had 2 male roommates and when they left for a month for Christmas, I told them to let me know when they were coming home because I'd be home alone.  One of them didn't and I was home and heard someone screwing with the handle....I put the chain on the door and was about ready to haul into my room to grab my gun, but I took a peek out the lookout and saw it was my roommate.  I let him know how close he was to getting shot...hence why I told them to let me know when they were coming home!  LOL.

edit: to give a little background, literally a week before my roommate came home, a girl in the complex next to mine opened her door for a stranger who was messing with the door, he forced his way in and raped her, they hadn't caught him yet.  I probably wouldn't have been so jumpy normally.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:e5bf9685-831c-47fe-a0c3-de6905355aa1">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm really hesitant to shoot the shotgun now that I've dislocated my shoulder. It was forceful enough I think it might still hurt me. Has anyone else dislocated a shoulder and successfully shot a rifle/shotgun/muzzleloader again without reinjuring yourself? It just makes me nervous. Handguns are no problem.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]
    I just about dislocated my shoulder (and gave myself a nice knot on my forehead with the scope) with my dad's 30 ought 6, and I never shot it again. I did a little hunting in high school and we found that my brother's old youth model rifles were the perfect fit for me.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:06399bf1-0748-40b2-ad99-a433c5526526">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gun Poll : I just about dislocated my shoulder (and gave myself a nice knot on my forehead with the scope) with my dad's 30 ought 6, and I never shot it again. I did a little hunting in high school and we found that my brother's old youth model rifles were the perfect fit for me.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

I wish I could say I dislocated my shoulder by doing something cool like shooting. It was a dumb accident. I think a youth rifle might be too small for me because I'm taller and larger. I don't think my brother has his anymore.
  • Options
    1. How do you feel about guns in general? I'm somewhat intimidated by them also, but I'm trying to get over that, I have my own gun but I need to practice more and get used to it. I think if I felt more confident I wouldnt be so intimidated.
    2. Do you own any weapons?Yes we have several handguns, and shotguns. What do you take out with you?I think it's everyones right to bear arms and protect their own.  What do you keep at home and how do you keep it? All our rifles, and shotguns are in a cabinet. And our handguns are in the bedside drawer.
    3. Ever had to use it  or would you?Yes we have been to the shooting range, and I'm a pretty good shot. Or is it there for other reasons? Protection, if the dog doesnt get you the owner will. My DH travels a lot. And the shotguns belong in DH's family.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:5f9ebfa9-7229-4d45-9cdb-6ad887b03131">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gun Poll : I wish I could say I dislocated my shoulder by doing something cool like shooting. It was a dumb accident. I think a youth rifle might be too small for me because I'm taller and larger. I don't think my brother has his anymore.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]
    I was pretty young, 14 or so, when that happened and I was just too little for the gun. And it was a pretty high powered rifle that my granddad built. I don't think you'll reinjure yourself with a lesser powered rifle.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:14dd344f-d046-4c2b-9d38-6b01cda39f8f">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gun Poll : I've heard that criminals actually avoid houses with dogs.  So if they hear one, they usually get scared off.  My dogs are super vocal and bark their asses off when they think someone is outside.  And they sound like big mean dogs...and they totally aren't.  They'd try to lick them to death if they decided to break in anyway.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]
    I like to think that my big dog would be able to tell the difference in a house guest and an intruder by my reaction to it, KWIM? My dog's not even remotely aggressive, ever, but I like to think that if she knew (and she knows) I was scared, she'd react differently.
  • Options
    Our dog's bark is vicious. It scares the crap out of me when she goes nuts at 3 in the morning cause there's some rando walking down the street. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:b543a44e-1f35-43f9-8eff-498b17747199">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gun Poll : I would hope that my dogs could tell the difference.  Unfortunately, we've had so much work done on the house and have had so many random men in & out that I just don't know. <strong> But I would like to think their sixth sense or whatever it is would pick up on it and sic em.</strong>
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]
    Dude, they know. It's so weird. The dogs act differently, way more protective and clingy, when I'm sick (like today), and I just have to think they'd know if I were panicking.
  • Options
    My dogs bark when they hear thunder or a radio with loud bass. The 2 in my sig sleep in our bedroom and we've got one that sleeps in the utility room at the other end of the house. If you seriously want to take a chance with my dogs, be my guest. Like KD said, if the dogs don't get you, I will.

It is true that pit bulls grab and hold on. But what they most
    often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart

imageimage
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:2063fcff-9d39-4f68-a6b7-40c7c83e1f14">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a gun. It's on my nightstand. We don't have kids.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Except ours is in a drawer in our nightstand.  And the rifle is under the bed.
    imageimage
    Welcome to the world, Baby W: born on 3/8/12 @ 3:49pm - 8lb 11 oz, 22 in. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    1. How do you feel about guns in general? I'm not a fan, particularly of hand guns. I'd feel much better if the only people out there with hand guns were the police and military. I'm also disgusted by how easy it is to purchase guns in many states in the country. I think semi-automatic weapons should not be sold to private citizens under any circumstances whatsoever. I understand the desire, and sometimes even need to hunt and respect the use of guns for that, so long as it's for food and not for sport b/c I'm a big softy when it comes to animals and killing them for sport gives me the sads. I would like it if all owners of hunt rifles were to properly store them in safes, unloaded.
    2. Do you own any weapons? What do you take out with you? What do you keep at home and how do you keep it? I have a dog, and kitchen knifes, and I will rip someone's limbs off with my bare hands if they break into my house and threaten my FI. I will never allow a gun in my home.
    3. Ever had to use it  or would you? Or is it there for other reasons? N/A

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:d932993e-bae1-48f8-8011-ed2c0ecf0905">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]1. How do you feel about guns in general? I'm not a fan, particularly of hand guns. I'd feel much better if the only people out there with hand guns were the police and military. I'm also disgusted by how easy it is to purchase guns in many states in the country. I think semi-automatic weapons should not be sold to private citizens under any circumstances whatsoever. I understand the desire, and sometimes even need to hunt and respect the use of guns for that, so long as it's for food and not for sport b/c I'm a big softy when it comes to animals and killing them for sport gives me the sads. I would like it if all owners of hunt rifles were to properly store them in safes, unloaded. 2. Do you own any weapons? What do you take out with you? What do you keep at home and how do you keep it?<strong> I have a dog, and kitchen knifes, and I will rip someone's limbs off with my bare hands if they break into my house</strong> and threaten my FI. I will never allow a gun in my home. 3. Ever had to use it  or would you? Or is it there for other reasons? N/A
    Posted by kcullen37[/QUOTE]
    But if your intruder has a gun, these serve no purpose. 

imageimage
  • Options
    K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:f4e26074-c7f0-4ffd-b0ac-e6c2552e3330">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gun Poll : But if your intruder has a gun, these serve no purpose. 
    Posted by Chi_Chi[/QUOTE]

I also made sure to by a home in a area with a very low crime rate and while I'm comfortable leaving the doors unlocked except for when we're asleep we're getting an alarm installed b/c FI grew up having one and wants it. I generally think the best of people. I'll leave my purse on the trunk of my car while I bring in groceries, leave the car running while I go get coffee in the morning, wear my finest jewelry walking around NYC at night. I have never been robbed or mugged, my only experiences with violence were not from strangers which is the reason I do not feel comfortable around guns. I don't even like to sleep at someone else's house if I know there's a gun in the house. To me it feels like sleeping with explosives in the house, it makes me feel less safe.  

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:f4e26074-c7f0-4ffd-b0ac-e6c2552e3330">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gun Poll : But if your intruder has a gun, these serve no purpose. 

<div>But, like nebb said, if the gun is locked up (like most the people in this poll), it will also serve no purpose.</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:0d53956c-67b4-438d-9dd0-582923bf6291">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gun Poll : I also made sure to by a home in a area with a very low crime rate and while I'm comfortable leaving the doors unlocked except for when we're asleep we're getting an alarm installed b/c FI grew up having one and wants it. I generally think the best of people. I'll leave my purse on the trunk of my car while I bring in groceries, leave the car running while I go get coffee in the morning, wear my finest jewelry walking around NYC at night. I have never been robbed or mugged, my only experiences with violence were not from strangers which is the reason I do not feel comfortable around guns. I don't even like to sleep at someone else's house if I know there's a gun in the house. To me it feels like sleeping with explosives in the house, it makes me feel less safe.  

I'm the same way. I start my car in the mornings when its cold out and leave it running while I finish getting ready.My purse stays in my car. We leave our doors to our house unlocked if were just running up the road to my parents house. I wasn't trying to insult your or your decision.  I just don't know how much protection your sources will provide against an intruder with a gun. Should you ever have to face that problem.

imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:01f18502-4df7-43f9-92bd-08823b7ee71a">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gun Poll : But, like nebb said, if the gun is locked up (like most the people in this poll), it will also serve no purpose.
    Posted by reddy123[/QUOTE]
    I agree. There's no point in having a gun for protection if you have the gun locked up in this safe in this room and the bullets locked up in that safe in that room. As someone said earlier, an intruder isn't going to wait around for you to unlock your gun, unlock your bullets, load and shoot their ass.

imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:d932993e-bae1-48f8-8011-ed2c0ecf0905">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]1. How do you feel about guns in general? I'm not a fan, particularly of hand guns. I'd feel much better if the only people out there with hand guns were the police and military. I'm also disgusted by how easy it is to purchase guns in many states in the country.<strong> I think semi-automatic weapons should not be sold to private citizens under any circumstances whatsoever.</strong> I understand the desire, and sometimes even need to hunt and respect the use of guns for that, so long as it's for food and not for sport b/c I'm a big softy when it comes to animals and killing them for sport gives me the sads. I would like it if all owners of hunt rifles were to properly store them in safes, unloaded. 2. Do you own any weapons? What do you take out with you? What do you keep at home and how do you keep it? I have a dog, and kitchen knifes, and I will rip someone's limbs off with my bare hands if they break into my house and threaten my FI. I will never allow a gun in my home. 3. Ever had to use it  or would you? Or is it there for other reasons? N/A

I think you mean fully automatic.  My .22 handgun is semi-auto, which just means I do not have to caulk (sp?) the gun each time I fire, but I do have to pull the trigger for each fire.  A fully automatic is no caulking and no separate trigger pull for each fire, which is what gives you the continuous fire action.

I believe in most states (or maybe the whole country), you cannot legally purchase fully automatic weapons, but I may be wrong.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I grew up in a house with hunting rifles. My dad used to hunt and still has guns. My brother does war reenactments and owns several real and reproduction weapons. I'm simply not interested in guns. I don't want to shoot one, and therefore, not knowing how to use one, I would never own one or keep one in my house.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options

Guns scare the crap out of me. H would like to have one and as a Marine, knows how to use them, but they still scare me. While I would like to say I would shoot someone trying to hurt me I honestly don't know. Would I want to, of course. I tend to freeze when I am afraid though and I would be the ninny who is holding the gun, freezes, and then gets shot by it.
    We do have several swords and daggers in the house though. When I was single I slept with a machete under my bed. If nothing else it made me feel better.

Katie is ferocious if you aren't invited into the house. She looks adorable in the pictures I've showed you guys but she's a scary biitch if you aren't her friend.

I also have a very low opinion of hunters because of where I grew up. 99% of the hunters in the area hunted by parking their truck in a parking lot, getting wasted on beer, sending dogs into the woods (most marked "No hunting") and then shooting them as they crossed the road (because then it wasn't private property). They do this at all hours of the day, if there's traffic on the road, if there are houses nearby, etc.

• Options

I've a big second amendment advocate. If you're not a nutbar and want to have a gun, I think you should have a gun. It's your constitional right and it's your personal decision whether or not you choose to exercise it.

H and I have a gun and I know how to use it. it's accessible, but most people don't know we have it. Although I'm a huge liberal pacifist, having a gun makes me feel safe and I'm glad we have it. We definitely don't take it out with us anywhere.

Random gun stuff:

--in Louisville, we had a nutty pastor have a "Bring your guns to church" day. It was hysterical.

--My old poli sci prof had a gun in case of the social contract fails and turns into a state of anarchy. Really.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    1. How do you feel about guns in general?
    I love them.

2. Do you own any weapons? What do you take out with you? What do you keep at home and how do you keep it?
    I have a 9mm and a 22.  One lives on my side and one lives on FI side of the bed.  They never leave the house.

3. Ever had to use it  or would you? Or is it there for other reasons?
    I would totally use it if I needed to.  Especially for zombies.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The only problem is how do you sort out the nutbars?

Feb 13th guy was a responsible parent who worked as a Park Ranger
    Feb 14th he took his gun and blew out the brains of his wife and stepkids

Fvcker still hasn't been tried either.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:68876dc9-3d85-43ce-9005-db1524c38be9">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gun Poll : I'm the same way. I start my car in the mornings when its cold out and leave it running while I finish getting ready.My purse stays in my car. We leave our doors to our house unlocked if were just running up the road to my parents house. I wasn't trying to insult your or your decision.  I just don't know how much protection your sources will provide against an intruder with a gun. Should you ever have to face that problem.

Oh no, I didn't feel insulted! I just was making the point that I don't really worry about bad things happening in general, much to my parents' dismay. The alarm system will also give them peace of mind. My dad worries about two ladies living alone with a 25lb dog lol. But my neighborhood is really quiet and safe. The only reason why I'm sold on the alarm system is that it will call the fire department should there be a fire in the house, especially if no one's home, that I really like!

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:d1c9753c-b5ee-4729-9177-f29f8b6ba6ee">Re: Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gun Poll : I think you mean fully automatic.  My .22 handgun is semi-auto, which just means I do not have to caulk (sp?) the gun each time I fire, but I do have to pull the trigger for each fire.  A fully automatic is no caulking and no separate trigger pull for each fire, which is what gives you the continuous fire action. I believe in most states (or maybe the whole country), you cannot legally purchase fully automatic weapons, but I may be wrong.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

Yes I do mean automatic, thank you for the correction. I was thinking more along the lines of Rambo's guns, why the hell would anyone need one of those in their house? lol

Photobucket
  • Options
    Yes we have guns. They are not locked away, because we don't ever have kids here.
     They make me quesy, but I think everyone here owns guns.
  • Options
    I'm late to this but I'm pretty passionate about our rights to carry so I thought I'd jump in.

When people are responsible and properly trained I think they are extremely beneficial to have.
    2. Do you own any weapons? What do you take out with you? What do you keep at home and how do you keep it?
    I've taken my CC class and test but I still need to qualify so until then we are gun-free but I would be much more comfortable if we had a gun in the house. Would I take it out with me? Your damn right I would. I've trained at the range A LOT and I'm a good shot. I'm certain I would be able to handly myself and the gun should a situation arise where I need to use it.
    3. Ever had to use it  or would you? Or is it there for other reasons?\
    Obviously never but I would. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot someone should my life or the life of a loved one be at stake.

I think it's foolish to think that people shouldn't be allowed to legally own guns. How else are we supposed to protect ourselves from those people who might use one or any other deadly weapon against us? Pepper spray and a stun gun will only get you so far. But I do believe people need to be properly trained and licensed and be required to register their guns.
  • Options
    I don't carry, but DH was. They're secured at night. I should know how to use them because they're in my home, but I don't. I carry mace.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    1. How do you feel about guns in general? I really enjoy them and find them necessary

2. Do you own any weapons? What do you take out with you? What do you keep at home and how do you keep it?  FI and I own an assortment of guns, from pistols, shotguns and rifles.  We also own a few throwing knives and switch blades.  I'm actually hoping to take some classes in knife throwing soon.  I take out with me pepper spray and one of my legal switch blades.  The rest of the knives are in a locked cabinet.  Our guns are locked up in gun safes in the house.

3. Ever had to use it  or would you? Or is it there for other reasons? I've hunted with my rifles before.  I'm fully prepared to use whatever I have to to protect myself and my loved ones.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gun-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3d67da99-e2be-4f91-a702-3f3311ad2fa5Post:74b108aa-7367-4fb8-9b3c-7fac67e35a94">Gun Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, I had no idea we had so many gun toters in the crowd. Now y'all got me curious.

I know I'm late but here you go:

<strong>well I have mixed feelings they aren't bad in the correct peoples hands.</strong>

2. Do you own any weapons? <strong>Yes </strong>What do you take out with you? <strong>A knife </strong>What do you keep at home and how do you keep it? <strong>A bow, 2 pistols, several knives. bow in a case, pistols 1) in a gun safe 1) in a special safety case</strong>

3. Ever had to use it  or would you? <strong>Never HAD to but I def would. </strong>Or is it there for other reasons?<strong> Protection/ Hunting</strong>

Posted by reddy123[/QUOTE]
    *~* Mrs.J *~*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards