Snarky Brides
Options

**Question of the Day**

I was listening to a radio talk show this morning on the way to work, and they brought up an interesting topic: things that are WAY overpriced!

Bottled water was a biggie. A lot of companies bottle TAP water and call it "purified" then sell it for crazy amounts of mula. If bottled water were sold by the gallon like gas...it would be $8.50 a gallon!!

What's something, service or product, that you think is WAY overpriced?

Re: **Question of the Day**

• Options
    Cereal. I can't believe how pricey it is every time I buy it! I mean, it is grain and sugar - come on now General Mills.

• Options
    Opi Clear Nail polish... $9 a bottle!  But it works, it really does work :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    I think anything I have to buy is over-priced.  Like if I have to get my brakes done, I think it's way too expensive.  If we need milk, I think it's too expensive.  Nine West trip?  Not overpriced at all.
  • Options
    Well it just pisses me off that if I buy milk at the grocery store, it costs about 3.50, and if I'm too lazy to go to the grocery store and I just want to hit the local gas station on the way home, it costs 4.99.  I know it's all about CONVENIENCE and whatnot.  But still.  I think its bunk.
    panther
  • Options
    aluminium foil.  Is there gold in there?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Potato Chips.

Cheese sticks. I hate mozzarrella, so I go after the Sargento sharp Cheddar sticks. I spent $16 on 4 packs.

Oh and the milk "beverage" I buy. They've taken the sugar out, so it's technically no longer true milk, but has all the same benefits and less calories. I've been drinking it for 6 years since my surgery and can't tolerate anything else - It's 3.99 for a HALF gallon. I can get it at one store because I asked them to stock it for me.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Um paper towels always seem over priced to me.  I don't know why.  Oh and electricity right now is a bitch to pay for.....I love the increasing rates.
  • Options

Textbooks.

• Options
    Almond milk. I can't drink regular milk, and I don't like soy milk as much. It's like 5 bucks for a carton and you have to drink it within 10 days. Problem is that I don't drink it that often, so I either have to come up with things to use it for (like random drunk baking sessions) or waste half of it.
  • Options
    Oh also....yesterday at the store the price per pound for portabella mushrooms was more expensive then high quality ground beef.  What the hell?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-of-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4f6a1f23-3aee-49c7-86ee-8dd7a1f28b85Post:7a3116a2-2fa0-473a-bea3-7a52236c649a">Re: **Question of the Day**</a>:
    [QUOTE]Um paper towels always seem over priced to me.  I don't know why.  Oh and <strong>electricity</strong> right now is a bitch to pay for.....I love the increasing rates.
    Posted by aprovencher21[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna go with this one. Our electric bill has been outrageous the past 2 months.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Movie tickets. Remember the days they were 5 bucks a pop?
    Never mind if you want some freaking popcorn too. What is the markup on popcorn? Oh probably 3784973843%.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Tampons... which sucks, because they can charge as much as  much as they want, and I'll still buy them.
  • Options
    TheCranberryTheCranberry member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-of-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4f6a1f23-3aee-49c7-86ee-8dd7a1f28b85Post:8356356c-0a0a-401d-a0f9-154b502687d6">Re: **Question of the Day**</a>:
    [QUOTE]Text messaging. I shouldn't have to pay extra 10 bucks per phone on top of our cell phone bill. Text messages use less bandwidth than actual phone calls right?
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]

Texts are apparently super cheap for the phone companies.  Their margins must be HUGE there!

Totally agree on textbooks.  It is such a racket!  With law school textbooks, they will add one case and print a whole new edition so then you can't use your friend's book from the previous year.

The movies in NYC are out of control.  $12!!  And don't even try to see an IMAX or 3D movie.

ETA: Jinx M&M.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-of-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4f6a1f23-3aee-49c7-86ee-8dd7a1f28b85Post:61626c8c-9e94-4b97-921c-caaf3890e33f">Re: **Question of the Day**</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh also....yesterday at the store the price per pound for portabella mushrooms was more expensive then high quality ground beef.  What the hell?
    Posted by aprovencher21[/QUOTE]

<div>The volume of a pound of portabellas is much greater than the volume of a pound of ground beef, and doesn't shrink so much when cooked, thereby providing more portions, to the eye anyway. This is only true if you get them out of the bulk bin and tear off the stems before you put them in the baggie. Stems weigh way too much. Grocery store people hate me. </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    My answer- pre cut fruit. I did not have time to cut up my cantaloupe for snack this morning. The melon costs $1.49. The pre-cut portion at the grocery, which is about half a melon, costs $4. Nevermind. No melon for me today. I'll have grapes. 
  • Options
    Yes, tampons.  Gah.  Whenever I donate personal hygene products, I always get name-brand tampons.  No one should have to use the scary tampons. 

Along the lines of Missy's, it pisses me off that soy milk is still extra at Starbucks even though milk is now just as expensive as soy milk.  And also because I'm lactose intolerant, I'm not just ordering it to sound cool. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-of-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4f6a1f23-3aee-49c7-86ee-8dd7a1f28b85Post:68981983-b628-46f8-ac84-3ca42744eed1">Re: **Question of the Day**</a>:
    [QUOTE]Movie tickets. Remember the days they were 5 bucks a pop? Never mind if you want some freaking popcorn too. What is the markup on popcorn? Oh probably 3784973843%.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

When I was a kid, matinee tickets were $2.50
    imageimage
  • Options
    I saw Piranha 3-D in XD and it was $14. I didn't think that was too bad (the XD added $2 to the ticket). BUT, I bought a hot dog, small popcorn, and soda, and it was just under $15. There's the highway robbery and where they make their money.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-of-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4f6a1f23-3aee-49c7-86ee-8dd7a1f28b85Post:e21e412f-7c34-4e81-8780-dce597f586ff">Re: **Question of the Day**</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: **Question of the Day** : The volume of a pound of portabellas is much greater than the volume of a pound of ground beef, and doesn't shrink so much when cooked, thereby providing more portions, to the eye anyway. This is only true if you get them out of the bulk bin and tear off the stems before you put them in the baggie. Stems weigh way too much. Grocery store people hate me. 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

Oh mine come pre-packaged.  Or I drive to farmer's markets but still the price increase from 2 months ago was shocking. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-of-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4f6a1f23-3aee-49c7-86ee-8dd7a1f28b85Post:63263c3a-3e08-4c5a-818f-afb892f204ef">Re: **Question of the Day**</a>:
    [QUOTE]Almond milk. I can't drink regular milk, and I don't like soy milk as much. It's like 5 bucks for a carton and you have to drink it within 10 days. Problem is that I don't drink it that often, so I either have to come up with things to use it for (like random drunk baking sessions) or waste half of it.
    Posted by rhodesign[/QUOTE]

Why don't you just freeze half of it? Or freeze it in pint containers.

That almond milk is awesome.
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-of-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4f6a1f23-3aee-49c7-86ee-8dd7a1f28b85Post:e21e412f-7c34-4e81-8780-dce597f586ff">Re: **Question of the Day**</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: **Question of the Day** : The volume of a pound of portabellas is much greater than the volume of a pound of ground beef, and doesn't shrink so much when cooked, thereby providing more portions, to the eye anyway. This is only true if you get them out of the bulk bin and tear off the stems before you put them in the baggie. Stems weigh way too much. <strong>Grocery store people hate me.</strong> 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

Maybe so, but I love you for this.

Along those lines, I used to buy my lettuce and spinach on the salad bar at my grocery store rather than getting a Bag o' Salad.  They charge you for those salads based on weight, so what comes in $4 bags that's entirely too much for me to eat anyway now only costs me 40 cents.  They really don't like it when I do that.

• Options
    Cars. Just cars in general. You could get a new economy car for 7K in 1983. I had one for my 18th birthday, paid entirely with MY money from three years worth of summer and after school jobs.

Now, even in the down economy they are crazy expensive for new. I have not had a brand new car in many years.
  • Options
    I'm surprised no one has said it but
    Gas. I remember when I started driving and I could fill my 16 gallon tank with a $20. I could also get enough gas to get home home with the spare change I would find under the car seats/glove compartment. I also know it's ridiculously cheap in my city compared to everywhere else which makes it even more boggling.
  • Options
    concert and sports tickets. 
    I love going, but haate paying so much!
  • Options
    Ah yes.  80 cent gas was nice for my old gas-guzzling beast.

The only thing with that is we're spoiled.  Gas is still so cheap in the US compared to everywhere else.  I almost felt glad when gas prices went up during the crisis of 2008 because I thought, "maybe this will get people who take it for granted to really think about it."  But I do feel really sorry for people who are barely making ends meet and trying to keep up with rising gas prices. 

• Options

How about sports event parking?? OMG it could be up to $20!! Maybe more!! For what?? A parking spot?? Talk about high demand.

• Options
    I will second cereal, printer ink, veils, and movies and add fruit and veggies. I swear food prices have sky rocketed in the last 2 years, 12 bucks for grapes? yeah right! I haven't had grapes for a while..
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-of-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4f6a1f23-3aee-49c7-86ee-8dd7a1f28b85Post:a5f5b1d3-f8d4-439f-afcd-f22d91adf0d7">Re: **Question of the Day**</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: **Question of the Day** : Maybe so, but I love you for this. Along those lines, I used to buy my lettuce and spinach on the salad bar at my grocery store rather than getting a Bag o' Salad.  They charge you for those salads based on weight, so what comes in $4 bags that's entirely too much for me to eat anyway now only costs me 40 cents.  They really don't like it when I do that.
    Posted by marriedfilingjointly[/QUOTE]

<div>Our store has a fresh peanut butter grinder. $1.99/lb. I can get just enough for a week's worth of fresh, tasty, natural peanut butter for less than a jar of the cheap over processed crap on the shelf. My mom thought I was wasting money buying the fresh stuff a little at a time until I showed her how much cheaper it was, and how much better it tastes. </div>
  • Options
    By the way, babysitters are SO expensive these days. My sister told me they paid a 14 year old sitter 60 bucks to watch their five year old while they went out to dinner for a few hours. WTF? Maybe I am just super out of the loop but I was happy to get $20 bucks for the same thing when I was 14.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards