Snarky Brides
Options

Ish my co-irker just said to me. DD and update.

UPDATED Thanks everyone for the advise. I deleted due to the involvement of work related quotes. I found out he does this stuff on the regular so I went to the supervisor. If it wasn't a regular occurence I world have waited, but it turns out he gets away with it all the time. Did I mention he is a manager? The supervisor s took my statement and both looked very concerned about it. We will see what happens from here.
20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Ish my co-irker just said to me. DD and update.

• Options
    I'm doing this right now: O.o

If it were my coworker I would have said something like "I don't think that's an appropriate comment for a professional work environment", and then document what he said with the date, that way if this is a recurring problem, you can go to your supervisor with documentation. I probably wouldn't say anything to my supe this time though.
  • Options
    Mara is sharing my brain today. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ish-co-irker-just-said?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5430ba34-c0d8-4a81-b5fd-d9557df36366Post:3301547d-2ab2-45fd-bbbd-1ccdc22eed92">Re: Ish my co-irker just said to me.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mara is sharing my brain today. 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

mine too. It's rather cozy.
  • Options
    You guys are better than I am. I'd be making a comment about along the lines of "I'm glad you'll be so accommodating when my half-Asian baby arrives someday"

That shiit pisses me off. I mean, I don't really care what opinions people hold, as long as they know appropriate times and venues to express them in. At work, it just never sits well.
  • Options
    Wow.... yeah I'd be really upset.  I don't think one racist remark warrants talking to a supervisor, but I agree with Mara that you should at least document it for if it becomes a problem.
  • Options
    Thanks every one for the feedback. Do you consider this racist? I'm on edge about this whole thing. Half of me wants to march into his office with the customers forms staying that they are clearly Korean, not Chinese, and a picture of my husband and tell him it was not appreciated. The other half wants to document and wait to see if it happens again
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with Mara.  If he doesn't take the hint, then I would go to the supervisor.  But I believe that employees should try to work things out amongst themselves before involving "authority", unless it's a really extreme case.

If you have any e-mails where your coworker made comments like this, save them in case you do end up talking to your supervisor. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ish-co-irker-just-said?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5430ba34-c0d8-4a81-b5fd-d9557df36366Post:169fcb32-2259-43a3-bc0f-a3f29b694b3d">Re: Ish my co-irker just said to me.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks every one for the feedback. Do you consider this racist? I'm on edge about this whole thing. Half of me wants to march into his office with the customers forms staying that they are clearly Korean, not Chinese, and a picture of my husband and tell him it was not appreciated. The other half wants to document and wait to see if it happens again
    Posted by Y I Oughta[/QUOTE]
    I don't think you should bring your H into it. THe comment was unwarranted and racist even if your H wasn't Asian. Your coworker needs to know that its not acceptable to say things like that at work, period, not just because he works with you. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Gut reactions aside, I agree with what Sarah said. It's doubly offensive to you because your H is Asian, but it's offensive all on its own.

I doubt I'd be bringing this incident to a supervisor's attention, but I wouldn't hesitate to verbalize that you're offended by the statements and that you won't tolerate it.

• Options
    Y I OughtaY I Oughta member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    H says he is going to dress in his traditional Korean clothing and make a really mean face so I can take a picture and hang out in my office. Lol. ETA: Oops. He meaning H. Damn phone auto corrects H to He every time.
  • Options
    Holy crap. I cannot believe someone would say that at work.

I agree with Mara's advice.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Holyshit.  That's incredibly offensive.  I'd be taking that to a higher-up.  Your coworker sounds like a total douchebag.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I would have told him off.  Someone did that back when I worked at Marshall's (made a snide racial comment about a customer after they left) and I mini-cussed them out.  And got written up for it, but whatever, I was 19 and it was totally worth it.  But you're a better, less volatile person than me so I agree with keeping a record of it and if it becomes a habit for the douchebag, notify your supervisor.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    OMG.  TK says Nuggs posted last in here, but I can't see her. NUGGS WHERE ARE YOU.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ish-co-irker-just-said?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5430ba34-c0d8-4a81-b5fd-d9557df36366Post:78d592d2-1e79-421b-b6f7-9c3453edcec0">Re: Ish my co-irker just said to me.</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG.  TK says Nuggs posted last in here, but I can't see her. NUGGS WHERE ARE YOU.
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

i saw that too and was worried she was banned but her old posts are still there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards