Snarky Brides
Options

Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh

Since this board is boring as shite lately lets discuss rape jokes.  Do you think they're funny?

For the record, I do not.  This topic was brought up on my FB feed yesterday by a friend of mine who I know is a victim of sexual violence.  Of course, she railed against this story.  A commenter on her post kept reiterating that these days pretty much anything is on the table for comics, so if we don't like what they have to say, so what, we can just leave or not listen and get over it.

The incident in question is that a woman and her friend were watching Tosh at a comedy club while he was making a string of statements about why rape jokes are always funny.  The woman became kinda pissed and heckled Tosh, saying "Actually rape jokes are never funny."  Tosh then proceeded to say something to the effect "Wouldn't it be funny if that chick got raped like right now?  Like if five guys just raped her."

Tosh has since apologized and all that jazz but yeah, it's still making its rounds.

Here's an article on the topic

http://todayentertainment.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/11/12680360-club-owner-defends-tosho-comic-after-rape-joke-fallout?lite

And here is the blog by the woman who spoke up

http://breakfastcookie.tumblr.com/post/26879625651/so-a-girl-walks-into-a-comedy-club

Thoughts?  Are rape jokes funny?  Are dead baby jokes, Holocaust jokes, murder jokes, racist jokes funny?  Is all stuff really on the table or are there some things you just shouldn't joke about?  What do you think you would have done if you were at this show?
panther

Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh

• Options
    I think rape jokes are funny sometimes, but making a comment like that about someone right there definitely crosses a line. I would have thrown something at him.  I also think it's a little silly to go to a comedy show of someone you've never seen and then start yelling crap at him. If you've ever seen or heard of Tosh you know that he's extremely offensive. You should probably assume you will say "holy crap I can't believe he said that". Do your homework.

I know this is an UO, but I don't think "your mom" jokes are funny. I just don't get them.
    Same goes for dead baby jokes.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options

I've seen Daniel Tosh's show, and I think I've laughed at maybe one or two jokes that he's told, and that's about it. I personally don't find it interesting to watch videos of the world's biggest zit being popped or guys chugging down bottles of tequila and puking on their girlfriends.

I admit, I can have a pretty juvenile sense of humor sometimes, but there's just something about his brand of comedy that I just don't find funny. I just get grossed out too easily.

I am no stranger to dead baby/holocaust/racist jokes, trust me. Being in the military, I've been exposed to some pretty off-color stuff. Usually when those jokes start, I just turn my brain off aorstart trying to figure out the square root of 3,279. I much prefer sophisticated humor, like when people reference Tolkien or Lord Byron. But, hey, that's just me. I also don't find Family Guy/American Dad/King of the Hill funny either.

25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    I think they can be funny, but i have a warped sense of humor.

I also think dead baby jokes can be funny.  Whatever.  People get too sensitive.

Put it this way.  Lisa Lampinelli is probably my favorite comedienne.  She makes tons of race, gender, sexuality jokes based off of stereotypes.  I laugh my @ss off at them because they are not ment to be racist or malicious.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I think Daniel Tosh is hilarious.  I think this particular joke was in poor taste.  I'm fairly sure we all know that I think racist jokes are awesome.  And possibly the best line in Hangover was "I didn't know they gave out rings in the Holocaust."

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    While I certainly agree that the follow up was way over the line, it's Daniel Tosh. That's kind of what he does. So ditto DJ on the whole knowing what you're getting into thing.

Personally, I think he's hilarious and I reaaaally don't take him seriously. He's a comedian. His whole job is to not be serious.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:87158b6b-077c-4dc8-ae79-c34cf2fca161">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think Daniel Tosh is hilarious.  I think this particular joke was in poor taste.  I'm fairly sure we all know that I think racist jokes are awesome.  And possibly the best line in Hangover was "I didn't know they gave out rings in the Holocaust."
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

If you like race jokes, you need to download Lisa asap.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, and on the rape joke thing, I remember a bit that Dane Cook did a few years ago on how too many people are using the term 'rape' to describe everyday things like online gaming or paying too much for car repairs. He said something along the lines of "Imagine a woman had just gotten raped and she's sitting at the police department talking to the detectives and they asked her to describe her experience. She looks up at them and says 'Well....have you ever played Halo?' ". As much as people hate Dane Cook, I think his approach to the rape joke subject was much better than Daniel Tosh's.
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    ...and I'm also not sure how Tolken and Lord Byron are referenced in "sophisticated" humor.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    Hahaha I like Lisa too, Blue.

I guess I'm another one that doesn't really get Tosh's humor.  I don't know why people think he's funny.  He's all about exploding asses, puke, and apparently rape jokes.  And dude is weird. 

I'm with you DJ on why rape jokes are not funny.

Cfas, I used to make dead baby jokes.  And then our friend's baby died at birth, and I just feel weird about it.  I guess it doesn't offend me if someone makes a dead baby joke but I'm definitely much more sensitive about the audience to them, if that makes any sense.
    panther
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I give comedians a lot of leeway -- their job is to take things to their wildly illogical (and hopefully hilarious) conclusion. Daniel goes way overboard sometimes, and much of what he says is offensive, but frankly that, and calling himself gay, are the crux of his schtick.

And honestly, you heckle a comedian and you get what you get -- just like yelling at any other stranger while they do their job.

I'm glad he (begrudgingly) apologized, but don't expect him to change. It's not like he's out there claiming to be a role model.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    We used to call the parking garage we parked in for work at the club "Rapeville" because it was scary and gross.  Then my friend got raped there after work one night.  We stopped calling it Rapeville. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Tosh is, in my opinion, at his funniest when he's "interviewing" a guest on his show. 

You cannot watch his interview with Samwell or Antoine Dobson and not laugh.  Unless you have no soul.

• Options
    AND, I know that Daniel Tosh's job is to not take things seriously and be funny and whatnot, but I just can't really wrap my head around why he'd want to be "that guy" that would make remarks that could potentially make a woman feel targeted and violated and scared. 
    panther
  • Options
    TBH, I would have walked out.

I get that she got up and heckled Tosh, which many comedians take very seriously as an insult, but at the same time...Tosh shouldn't have been making rape jokes.  Usually there's a time and place for most jokes, and I can take a lot of off-color stuff, but rape jokes?  It's just not funny.  Considering that 1 in 6 women will be the victim of a sexual assault (it might even be more) and the numbers of men who are assaulted are practically unrecorded since there's such a stigma about male rape, the chances of you offending, upsetting, or hurting someone (if not many people) is just too high.  Why even chance it?  As for him saying "Wouldn't it be funny if she was gang banged by 5 guys right now?"  WTF?  Why would anyone ever consider that funny?

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:d090fa99-e93d-4e93-acb8-72dff767b5d3">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hahaha I like Lisa too, Blue. I guess I'm another one that doesn't really get Tosh's humor.  I don't know why people think he's funny.  He's all about exploding asses, puke, and apparently rape jokes.  And dude is weird.  I'm with you DJ on why rape jokes are not funny. Cfas, I used to make dead baby jokes.  And then our friend's baby died at birth, and I just feel weird about it.  <strong>I guess it doesn't offend me if someone makes a dead baby joke but I'm definitely much more sensitive about the audience to them, if that makes any sense.
    </strong>Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

I completely understand what you mean. You never notice how often people say "I'm going to shoot myself in the head" or "I'm so bored I could fuucking kill myself" until you're affected by suicide and hearing it cuts you like a knife.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:b95e913c-4665-45e6-84ea-bf38aac5ffc6">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]...and I'm also not sure how Tolken and Lord Byron are referenced in "sophisticated" humor.

The most recent one I can remember was in the pilot of New Girl, when Jess is crying about her breakup and Schmidt says he'll be her dating guide.

<p><strong>Schmidt</strong>: I'll be like your guide.
    <strong>Jessica</strong>: Like Gandalf through Middle Earth?
    <strong>Schmidt</strong>: Probably notlike.. ok, first of all lets just, lets take the Lord of the Rings references, lets put them in a deep dark cave.OK? Where no one's gonna find them. Ever.
    <strong>Jessica</strong>: Except Smeagol. (whispering) He lives in a cave.

I thought it was cute and it made me chuckle to myself. But, like I said, my sense of humor is different.</p>
    Photobucket
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    I don't find rape jokes funny but I also don't get up in arms about comedians and their routines either. I guess I am just apathetic about it. I do agree that in a casual setting you should be careful what jokes you tell if you don't know everyone you're talking with.
  • Options
    LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I don't find rape jokes funny and I definitely don't find Tosh funny at all. I watched his show one to see what all the hype was and I didn't laugh once. I also don't think the Jackass stuff is funny either.

I do love Lisa L. though. I think she is hilarious.

Edit: DJ, I agree with you about people describing things that aren't rape, as rape. I hate that and I find it really unintelligent. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That sucks Blue :( I hope there's more security there.

So many Tosh haters out there. I'm curious if you find this funny:
    http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-clips/angry-birds

Note: there's no vomit, sex, pimples, etc. Just a little blood.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    I don't watch Tosh cuz I think it's stupid. I do like Lisa Lampinelli, and I do like some race/gender etc. jokes.

But i think I'm either really naive or just never heard one, but what is a dead baby joke and why is it funny? Seriously, I'm curious.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ....I wouldn't say New Girl is sophisticated. 

I probably sound like a b*tch, but something about the way you were like "I like sophisticated humor" made me imagine you saying that with a sniff and hair flip. Like, "Oh, you like Tosh?  Hmm.  I mean, that's fine and all, but I'm more into sophistcated humor."

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:083ce40c-e873-49cf-b33c-1cc75498363f">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]TBH, I would have walked out. I get that she got up and heckled Tosh, which many comedians take very seriously as an insult, but at the same time...Tosh shouldn't have been making rape jokes.  Usually there's a time and place for most jokes, and I can take a lot of off-color stuff, but rape jokes?  It's just not funny.<strong>  Considering that 1 in 6 women will be the victim of a sexual assault (it might even be more) and the numbers of men who are assaulted are practically unrecorded since there's such a stigma about male rape, the chances of you offending, upsetting, or hurting someone (if not many people) is just too high.  Why even chance it?</strong>  As for him saying "Wouldn't it be funny if she was gang banged by 5 guys right now?"  WTF?  Why would anyone ever consider that funny?
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

People make girl jokes, boy jokes, blond jokes, white-people jokes, etc. all the time and the "odds" are higher than 1 in 6 will be offended or hurt.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:28d10e5e-4c0b-47ef-880f-f579e556deb5">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]....I wouldn't say New Girl is sophisticated.  I probably sound like a b*tch, but something about the way you were like "I like sophisticated humor" made me imagine you saying that with a sniff and hair flip. Like, "Oh, you like Tosh?  Hmm.  I mean, that's fine and all, but I'm more into sophistcated humor."

That's not how I meant it at all. I just don't get Tosh's brand of humor - it just isn't funny to me, so I explained why I didn't find it funny. I certainly didn't mean it to sound condescending in the least. I just have a nerdy sense of humor, that's all.
    Photobucket
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    I have never watched tosh's show so I don't have an opinion on him personally. I prefer comedians like Mitch, who just think of totally ordinary things and point out something silly or weird about them. Example of my favorite joke of his "rice is great if you are hungry and want 2,000 of something" Yeah weird crap like that cracks me up. I do know that if I ever heard a comedian make dog or child abuse jokes I would probably freak the eff out though.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:fe1f0537-4beb-4fe4-afba-205cd68ea4cd">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh : What kind of jokes is he supposed/allowed to make? His whole act is being ridiculous, offensive and pushing limits. He did not build his act around telling mellow knock-knock jokes.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]
    I agree with this. I don't find rape jokes or Tosh funny but it's his act. That's how he makes money. If I don't agree with him, I don't have to watch him.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:aae5bcd7-de2c-4ba1-808b-2987473a56a6">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't watch Tosh cuz I think it's stupid. I do like Lisa Lampinelli, and I do like some race/gender etc. jokes. But i think I'm either really naive or just never heard one, but what is a dead baby joke and why is it funny? Seriously, I'm curious.
    Posted by jennamarie10[/QUOTE]

How do you get a baby into a glove compartment?  With a blender.

How do you get a baby out of a blender?  With a straw.

What's the difference between unloading a truckful of bowling balls and a truckful of babies?  You can use a pitchfork with the babies.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rape-jokes-and-daniel-tosh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5b7a0d99-0d55-4fd3-9c00-77375e0b2459Post:fe1f0537-4beb-4fe4-afba-205cd68ea4cd">Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rape jokes and Daniel Tosh : What kind of jokes is he supposed/allowed to make? His whole act is being ridiculous, offensive and pushing limits. He did not build his act around telling mellow knock-knock jokes.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Dont like rape jokes?  Dont listen to them.

He can joke about whatever he wants.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    has that lady never heard daniel tosh jokes? he jokes about EVERYTHING! if she doesn't like it she can leave.
  • Options
    Jenna you really have never heard a dead baby joke before? For some reason this is genuinely strange to me, and I don't mean that snotty, I just feel like I started hearing them in middle school.
  • Options
    It depends on my mood. I've seen Tosh live and he made a rape joke about his sister, and it was actually kind of funny. But what he said to that woman, no, it's not funny at all.

For the most part I don't get offended by rape jokes. Being that I've been there, more than once, they make me uncomfortable, but not offended. Hell, I even laugh sometimes. That's just what you have to expect from comedians and if you're easily offended, don't go see someone like Tosh.

But I do get super pissed when the word is used wrong. Even saying "raping the earth" when talking about pollution and environmental concerns bugs the hell out of me. It's hard to rile me up, but that's a good way to do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards