Snarky Brides
Options

Food

Re: Food

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:65e5de9e-f8b2-40b5-957a-12cfe84e9263">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate chewy meat, I dont think I would like camel then :( Pirategal - I am the same way, I just chuck stuff in to see what happens when I cook, and I am NOT good at baking. <strong>Baking is a science and I just cant master it.</strong>
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm saying.  I just tried to make brownies.  From a mix.  All I had to do was follow the instructions.  I still managed to screw it up.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:fdfd9677-d77f-4c01-8902-e3992b9a6ccc">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]LOVE heirloom tomatoes.  My favorite is the purple cherokees.  FI's aunt and uncle own a farm and we get produce from them all summer, whatever is in season.  They grow a lot of heirloom tomatoes and great sweet corn.  I love this time of year :).
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]
    Im starting to really love heirlooms. I bought a purple cherokee from the market today, I also bought 2 other varieties I dont know the name of but one of them is a white tomatoe. I cannot WAIT to eat it.
  • Options
    FI is getting to be a pretty good baker.  My mom got him the Julia Child French cookbooks for Christmas last year, and he made a few breads out of them.  They're so complicated--you have to let them sit, then rise, then kneed them down, then sit, then kneed, and I just don't have the patience, but he loves it.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    I think being able to make bread, REAL bread, is an art. Im jealous of anyone who can make bread without a bread maker (thats not really a skill, throwing ingredients into a machine and pressing a few buttons. I know, I have one).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:a93e017d-a139-4136-aaa5-e7d25825557d">Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lets talk about food, shall we? You dont have to answer any or all of my questions, just talk about food. What do you like? How did you learn to cook, if at all? Do you have favourite foods you prefer to cook with or eat? What is the best meal youve ever had? Any interesting food memories you have to share? Something you want to try eating or cooking? Go at it, I wanna talk about food.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

<div>I like all kinds of food. I don't like organ meat, eyeballs, intestines or brains. Anything else is fair game. </div><div>
    </div><div>My mother says I learned how to cook out of self defense. She didn't cook. We ate LOTS of hamburger helper as a kid. I learned cajun cooking from my grandmother and baking from my aunt, who both lived across the road from us. My first memory of cooking was standing on a stool by my grandmothers stove, stirring the roux. It took hours to make it the right way, and it was the first thing I ever learned how to make. </div><div>
    </div><div>My older sister and I have both always been adventurous in the kitchen, and we like to experiment. Once she wanted pancakes but we didn't have any flour, so she melted wonton wrappers in milk, added a duck egg, and made "pancakes". They were green and she made me eat them.</div><div>
    </div><div>My aunt makes a killer shrimp and rice dish. She also used to make me a Nieman Marcus cake every year for my birthday. I don't know how to describe it, but its cake on the bottom, and when you cook it a gooey part rises to the top and then crusts over. Its awesome. </div><div>
    </div><div>The most expensive meal I have ever had was at Le Cirque in the Bellagio. It was pretty awesome, too. </div><div>
    </div><div>I love food. I could talk food all day. I'm sorry I am so late on this thread. I was buying food!</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I can make bread!
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:d9f95230-748a-460b-a555-49c4a1af30c3">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Food : I like all kinds of food. I don't like organ meat, eyeballs, intestines or brains. Anything else is fair game.  My mother says I learned how to cook out of self defense. She didn't cook. We ate LOTS of hamburger helper as a kid. I learned cajun cooking from my grandmother and baking from my aunt, who both lived across the road from us. My first memory of cooking was standing on a stool by my grandmothers stove, stirring the roux. It took hours to make it the right way, and it was the first thing I ever learned how to make.  My older sister and I have both always been adventurous in the kitchen, and we like to experiment. Once she wanted pancakes but we didn't have any flour, so she melted wonton wrappers in milk, added a duck egg, and made "pancakes". They were green and she made me eat them. My aunt makes a killer shrimp and rice dish. She also used to make me a Nieman Marcus cake every year for my birthday. I don't know how to describe it, but its cake on the bottom, and when you cook it a gooey part rises to the top and then crusts over. Its awesome.  The most expensive meal I have ever had was at Le Cirque in the Bellagio. It was pretty awesome, too.  I love food. I could talk food all day. I'm sorry I am so late on this thread. I was buying food!
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]
    I love hearing this. I feel the same way - my mom never cooked  (once a week, at best) so I had to fend for myself growing up and taught myself how to cook with the help of my grandmother. I always helped her in the kitchen and she taught me how to experiment. One of my favourite memories of her is when we would try a new recipe - there were a few occasions where we messed it up horribly, and they are my favourite memories. We always laughed so hard at how bad it turned out. I think I learned not to sweat cooking mishaps, and just see the humour and learn from it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:acf7ccec-3e4e-486d-aa47-2f2103b6c64d">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think being able to make bread, REAL bread, is an art. Im jealous of anyone who can make bread without a bread maker (thats not really a skill, throwing ingredients into a machine and pressing a few buttons. I know, I have one).
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

I've got a french bread recipe that's really easy.  I make it using my stand mixer, it does all the kneeding. 

I've also done sourdough, and could never make it work.  I even managed to kill my starter.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:b4a0c315-61c4-4110-a89f-91e9248d67e5">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]I learned to cook just by trial and error, and testing out lots of recipes. My favorite is pasta. I love pasta and can't get enough of it, but I toss in some meat for H's sake. Soon I want to try a roast with carrots and potatoes, but I'm afraid I'll mess it up. Plus my crock pot isn't very big. Tomorrow I'm making chicken and yellow rice. Next week Italian-spiced chicken on garlic sub rolls, cheese and spinach-stuffed ravioli, and BBQ sloppy joes. Yum.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

<div>Sesh- easiest roast ever. 3lb chuck or top round. 1 bottle Guiness. 1 can french onion soup. Stuff it all in a crock pot and set on low for 6 hours. YOu can add carrots and potatoes at the end, or just sop up the juice with a baguette. </div>
  • Options
    Oh yah, I can rock my breadmaker. 

I think my dad sometimes feels bad and over-compliments the little things I do cook--one time, FI made this amazing roast (from Julia Child) that took hours and potatoes au gratin from scratch...and I made cheese bread in the breadmaker.  My dad went on and on about that bread. :-)
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    I made this amazing 4 cheese bread in my breadmaker once and it was the most delicious bread ive ever had. I made a grilled cheese sandwich out of it for my husband one night and he looked like he was about to go off, he loved it so much. I need to bust out my breadmaker again but we dont have the room for it.
  • Options
    How does a breadmaker work?  Do you really just toss everything in there and push a button?
  • Options
    That sounds amazing, Nebb.  Mmmm...cheeeeese.

When we first moved in together and got out the breadmaker (that had just been gathering dust while I was in college) we made all kinds of things.  Then it got put on top of the cabinets, and I'm just too short/lazy to get it down.  I also love to make pizza crust in it for homemade pizza--my "go-to" meal for Super Bowl Sunday.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:2ab84f21-7f6d-4b70-92fe-0ec4ed12a149">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]How does a breadmaker work?  Do you really just toss everything in there and push a button?
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]
    I thnk it depends on the recipe, but pretty much. You put in certain ingredients and set the machine and it mixes it and lets it rise, then kneeds it and bakes it. Ive also made pretty good pizza dough in it before too, it was VERY airy and created a very big crust.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:2ab84f21-7f6d-4b70-92fe-0ec4ed12a149">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]How does a breadmaker work?  Do you really just toss everything in there and push a button?
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

Yep...you add the ingredients in the order the recipe says (I guess the order is important?), and push "start."  An hour or two later, you have a loaf of bread.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:c3d53d96-9a59-495c-b85b-bddd052fce22">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Food : I love hearing this. I feel the same way - my mom never cooked  (once a week, at best) so I had to fend for myself growing up and taught myself how to cook with the help of my grandmother. I always helped her in the kitchen and she taught me how to experiment. One of my favourite memories of her is when we would try a new recipe - there were a few occasions where we messed it up horribly, and they are my favourite memories. We always laughed so hard at how bad it turned out. <strong>I think I learned not to sweat cooking mishaps, and just see the humour and learn from it.</strong>
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

<div>This! My cousin and I loved making this one Szechuan (sp?) stir fry that she had a recipe for. It never failed that we were out of at least one ingredient, and we lived 30minutes from the nearest grocery. I learned how to experiment and make do with what we had. That "recipe" never tasted the same twice. </div><div>
    </div><div>I love seafood, but not oysters. They look like snot, and I just can't get over that. I tried octopus at a chinese BBQ place once, and I didn't like it. The suckers were a weird texture. </div><div>
    </div><div>Writing my blog has made me actually pay attention to the quantities of ingredients I use in a recipe. Its hard to tell others how to make something if I just do it by taste or look. I really have to make myself pay attention and not rush things when I bake. It took me 3 tries to make my king cake this year for Mardi Gras, but the last one was fantastic. Now I just have to remember how I did it!</div>
  • Options
    I don't have a bread maker but yeast bread or rolls are pretty easy to make.
  • Options
    Sarah--I just checked out your blog.  Some of that sounds AMAZING. 
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    I actually cant stomach the idea of eating raw oysters, I just cant. It just seems like swallowing a load to me :S I will only eat muscles or clams if they are cooked.
  • Options
    I love raw oysters. I haven't had them in years.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    Know what I dont like, HOT food. I like spicy food, spicy as in lots of different spices (flavours), but I dont like food that hurts my mouth.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:712b68b6-2ddd-4936-8c8a-bfaeb4b0e83d">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love raw oysters. I haven't had them in years.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

<div>And I'm imagining you won't have any in the near future either. I hear that a lot of the oyster beds were contaminated. </div>
  • Options
    Yeah I know Sarah and that makes me a sad Ang :(
  • Options
    I was watching some show yesterday on the Food Network, and they took an oyster shot.  I had to turn my head because I was afraid I would throw up.  No, thank you. 
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    I think something like oysters rockafeller looks good, but its cooked.
  • Options
    The first course of our really $$$$$ meal at Le Cirque was a raw oyster. I couldn't do it. FI did, but he almost puked. He can't even swallow advil, much less a slimy thing 15x that size. 
  • Options
    If it's cooked, I'll usually try it.  Giant slimy boogers?  Nah, not this girl. 
  • Options
    I can't cook good food to save my life, but I can cook survival food. Lucky for me Scott went to Culinary School and is awesome. I am a pretty darn good baker though, which works out because he can't bake at all. I like mixing stuff and having recipes to follow while Scott is more of a "add some of this, try a little of that" type of cooker.

I cannot do oysters, ugh. I also can't stand the texture of tofu.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    Can I ask a question Katie, do you wish you could cook or do you care? Does scott ever try to teach you?

Adam doesnt care about cooking and he doesnt seem to absorb what I try to teach him, but I think he just purposely doesnt try.
  • Options
    Katie, FI and I are the same way.  He's an "add a little of this and that" guy too, and would love to go to culinary school, but I'm trying to get him to just get through one bachelor degree :-)

I sometimes wish I could cook better, but the things I do cook are pretty good.  I definitely need a recipe as well.  And, if it's out of a box or bag?  I'm a rockstar. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards