Snarky Brides
Options

My last medication question, I swear!

I'm packing for my trip tomorrow, and found the leftover medication my doctor gave me the last time I flew. How long does a medication like Ativan stay "good"? I'm betting this stuff is too old (1 1/2 years old) but at this point I have to ask. I couldn't get in to my doctor today, and I'm already panic-y about my flight in the morning.
Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: My last medication question, I swear!

• Options
    SEWFSEWF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    J- I have a huge character flaw. I always wait until the very last minute to do anything unpleasant. Even if I know it's something that will help me in the long run (like this very thing) I put it off until I can't anymore. So yesterday, when I called my doctor to get an appointment, of course they were booked up. I called about going to see a therapist about the procrastination problem, but I can't get in until after vacation.

I have been reading a lot of fear of flying stuff tonight, and that is helping tremendously, but I still know tomorrow is going to be sucky. I'm sick of it, though, which is why I am going to do something about it.
  • Options
    Call a 24 hour pharmacy. Did your Dr give you refills?
  • Options
    SEWFSEWF member
    No, he didn't. I was hoping he did, because that would take care of it. I'm going to try sleep deprivation since I couldn't sleep, combined with my meditation CD, deep breathing, and flying facts I got off of the internet (like when you hit turbulence and you feel a drop, you are actually only dropping a few inches and the plane automatically rights itself). And crossing my fingers that I don't vomit.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_my-last-medication-question-i-swear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:821b272e-3663-4b23-bcaf-0c1f3c0982d5Post:5f15b6ec-4d27-4fc9-9423-32308bc9acfa">Re: My last medication question, I swear!</a>:
    [QUOTE]J- I have a huge character flaw. I always wait until the very last minute to do anything unpleasant. Even if I know it's something that will help me in the long run (like this very thing) I put it off until I can't anymore. So yesterday, when I called my doctor to get an appointment, of course they were booked up. I called about going to see a therapist about the procrastination problem, but I can't get in until after vacation. I have been reading a lot of fear of flying stuff tonight, and that is helping tremendously, but I still know tomorrow is going to be sucky. I'm sick of it, though, which is why I am going to do something about it.
    Posted by SEWF[/QUOTE]

I don't mean this a mean way in the slightest... but if you are calling to see a therapist about procrastination, it might be useful to also to talk about your fear of flying.  They really can help with these problems.

I don't know the answer about the antivan, but you can just call a pharmacy and ask.

Good luck with your flight!  Everything will be just fine - promise :-)
  • Options
    Have you called a pharmacy yet to ask about the expiration?
  • Options
    I'd call the pharmacy, drug companies are required to put an expiration date on absolutely everything (which is usually one year from the date you get it filled) but in my experience both doctors and pharmacists will tell you that things are good for a while after the "expiration" date.

Just to be safe though I'd call a pharmacist.  Tell him/her what day the medication was filled and let them tell you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_my-last-medication-question-i-swear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:821b272e-3663-4b23-bcaf-0c1f3c0982d5Post:16c57aec-8fa9-44b2-9fe4-ba41dfd61437">Re: My last medication question, I swear!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think its a law for all medications to have expiration dates on them in most states.  Check the label again, it might be in a weird spot. You could always call a 24 hour pharmacy and ask. Pharmacists are more knowledgeable about that stuff than doctors, anyhow.
    Posted by KindaSparkly[/QUOTE]
    I know I'm not a SB poster, but I'm a pharm tech, so I thought I'd help. All Rx bottles given to patients are required to have a 1 year expiry on there. So if you picked it up on Jan 1, 2010, it will say Jan 1, 2011. That is, unless the drug expires sooner. If it expires in 6 months, then they have to put that. If it expires in longer than 1 year, they still only put 1 year becuase that is how long a paper prescription is valid for.<div>
    </div><div>Ativan is a controlled substance, so those prescriptions are only good for 1 month. The pills themselves can still be good, but if it was filled 1.5 years ago, there is no way the pharmacy will still have the original bottle to check the true expiration from the manufacturer. They will tell you one year & since it's over that, you need to toss them. It won't kill you to take it now, but it won't be as effective.</div><div>
    </div><div>Lastly, if you haven't been to the Dr. in a while and haven't been prescribed this in 1.5y, then it is highly unlikely that they will refill it over the phone, without you going in for a consultation. Ativan is a Schedule IV controlled substance, so it really isn't something to just be popped like a Tylenol. I do hope you are able to speak to your Dr. soon and come up with a solution that works well for you.</div>
  • Options
    Your Rx is most definitely expired (the bottle would, at most, have a 1 year expiration date). And you will definitely need a dr. visit to get a new prescription! A prescription for that medication is valid for a max of 6 months or 5 refills, so the pharmacy could not fill it even if you did have refills remaining!
  • Options
    SEWFSEWF member
    Thanks everyone! The flight was fine. I just did a lot of meditation and thought about turbulence only being a drop of a few inches, and I made it through just fine. I called a pharmasist, and they said it had expired. I still wasn't able to find an expiration date on the bottle, but at least I know. And Joy, yes, I am going to talk to the therapist about the procrastination and the fear of flying. I actually have started a list that includes a lot of things to talk to her about. Thank you everyone for being understanding about all of this. It's a hard thing to realize that I have so much to fix about myself, but I will be a better person for it. Sorry if this turns out weird. Typing on H's iPad from sunny and hot Florida!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_my-last-medication-question-i-swear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:821b272e-3663-4b23-bcaf-0c1f3c0982d5Post:ec18b1bb-07d8-43b9-bc67-5c77881d8194">Re: My last medication question, I swear!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your Rx is most definitely expired (the bottle would, at most, have a 1 year expiration date). And you will definitely need a dr. visit to get a new prescription! A prescription for that medication is valid for a max of 6 months or 5 refills, so the pharmacy could not fill it even if you did have refills remaining!
    Posted by Laurie&Brandon[/QUOTE]

The expiration date is generally one year from date dispensed. U may be able to have pharmacist call dr for refill (I was a pharmacy tech in college). Good luck and drink some wine if u can't get s refill!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards