Snarky Brides
Options

Face punch to nonengaged comments...

Lately SO many of people I know in my age group have been getting engaged, or thinking about it, or begging for it. You know how that goes in your mid 20s.

Things that makes me want to face punch people who have not planned a wedding:

1) I HAVE to go to Kleinfelds to buy my dress. No where else will understanddd me.
2a) I HAVE to have at least 2 carats for my ring.
or
2b) I can't believe people actually spend more than 1k on rings, that is SO irresponsible and I judge them for not putting it towards a house.

Both of those are equally as annoying in my opinion.

3) Well MY wedding will have two live bands, or MY wedding will have tall orchid centerpieces, well MY wedding will be xyz... sureee, just wait until you start tallying costs.

Any funny/annoying comments you have heard that make you roll your eyes?

Re: Face punch to nonengaged comments...

• Options
    Those are good ones, Meaghan.  I'm well out of the prime marrying age, so I don't hear much these days.  My niece recently got engaged and her dad (my brother) promised me this was going to be a 'real redneck wedding' - I can't wait. 
  • Options
    Thankfully only one of my friends is at this point.  I don't have to deal with it because apparently he has decided our relationship is meaningless now.  So I guess my biggest pet peeve is "best friends" dropping off the face of the earth the minute they decide to get engaged.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    All of my friends who were going to get married already made that trip down the aisle. I'm the last one, but Ive heard it all. None of them were affluent enough to make 1, 2a, or 3, but I've definitely heard the 2b comment before. Heck, I even made it, and the FI ended up spending way more on my ring than I ever expected. I feel guilty because we could have used that money for something else. But I don't think I really judge other people.. I just judge us for not being frugal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

My friend just got engaged.  She told me she just wanted the ring to wear.  They aren't getting married for another 3 years.  She begged him for it.

And the ladies who think it is all about them.  Forget their FI or their families.  THEY are the bride.  THEY rule.

It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm watching a wedding "reality" show in which the bride has one ceremony and TWO receptions.  One on Sat and one on Sun.  She keeps talking about her "Pretty Princess Day".  As I leave for work now, she's just hired a woman with ponies to have at the wedding.  She's asking if they can be dyed pink.  God.
  • Options
    I dont't have any to contribute, but some of those statements remind me of the thread on E from over the weekend about how much your ring cost.

I felt like it was a "my horse is bigger than your horse" thread. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    B, I HATE the whole dropping off the face of the earth thing. There have been a number of ways we have experienced this. Luckily most of my friends are pretty ok with it, but Mike's friends have been ridiculous. Three variations that annoy me are:

1) Never ever ever returning calls, showing up to parties but THEN acting like they expect absolutely every one to throw huge parties for them and spend all sorts of money on their wedding.
    2) Not wanting to talk or hang out because they are not inviting you to the wedding. I get it. Space is limited. We still like you though, relax.
    3) Having the fiancees of Mike's friends never ever make an effort to know us except the emails about how important not having strippers at the b-party is to her. ugh.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_face-punch-nonengaged-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9a613909-ade7-45af-a6d6-7c1b1e1e708aPost:df64fea5-cf45-41a1-8d10-3f737e06f1f7">Re: Face punch to nonengaged comments...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dont't have any to contribute, but some of those statements remind me of the thread on E from over the weekend about how much your ring cost. <strong>I felt like it was a "my horse is bigger than your horse" thread. </strong>
    Posted by shellydiane820[/QUOTE]

Exactly, this is what made me think of it. I get it, we are all going to live our lives differently and spend our money how we want. The constant justification and overreaching are just burning me. Maybe I just hear more of it than normal since I am one of the only people who are actually married and have been through it so they feel the need to explain things ot me that I really don't care about.
  • Options
    Oh yeah Shelly?  Well my horse is way bigger than yours ;)

Meg- Try still not hearing from your best friend, months after it happened, that he's engaged, even though you have spoken with him in that time.  Yeah, I might be a bit bitter over this.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I'm the first of my friends to get engaged, but I can only imagine the fun that will happen in the next few years, as I'm entering into the prime marrying age bracket.  I'll be really surprised if a couple of my friends aren't engaged in the next 18 months.  I don't really have anything good to add.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This one friend/couple I know said they weren't going to give each other gifts on their wedding day to save money. Well he bought himself a new pair of boots to wear for the wedding and she threw a HISSY FIT because she had originally wanted a pair of white boots to wear for the wedding but opted against them to save money. So the morning of the wedding they were boot shopping for her. And she's never worn the pair since.

Edit: So that was slightly off topic but the whole money aspect made me think of it...

Mrs. Wiggins image
  • Options
    My horse is made of a giant diamond, so suck on that B :)

I don't mind discussing styles of rings and, showing pictures, but in my opinion, money shouldn't be discussed.  I think its a little ridiculous.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I feel like I missed a juicy thread somewhere.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    None of my friends are getting married currently, but my friend who just did literally has dropped off the earth since about 4 months before her wedding (which was in may), and still hasnt resurfaced. I still havnt received a thank you card, I might add...

My only beef with the currently engaged (or recently) is the insane sense of entitlement. Stag and does, incredibly expensive registries, and the amount of parties/shower expectations they have. Good grief.
  • Options
    Did any of your friends start refering to their significant other only as "Fiance" after being engaged and only as "husband" months after the wedding?

At first it was funny when my one friend did it because it made me think of "The Dingo Ate My Baby" from Seinfeld but after 3 days it got reeeeeeeeeeeeally old.
    Mrs. Wiggins image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_face-punch-nonengaged-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9a613909-ade7-45af-a6d6-7c1b1e1e708aPost:698305a1-aba0-4ede-af38-cadcde9dc3f3">Re: Face punch to nonengaged comments...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My horse is made of a giant diamond, so suck on that B :) I don't mind discussing styles of rings and, showing pictures, but in my opinion, money shouldn't be discussed.  I think its a little ridiculous.
    Posted by shellydiane820[/QUOTE]

I don't mind discussing it because I think money is a big concern brides have, but I don't like when it is a pissing contest in either direction. I also don't understand how it is really all that helpful considering the HUGE range of areas we all come from. On your local it might make sense to figure out how much people generally pay for a cake or something, but on national boards it doesn't translate.
  • Options
    CS - I hear that one too a lot. I do not understand how the 'name' really matters that much. It is interesting too because I hear this and then the bride doesn't buy a designer dress or wear designer shoes. It confuses me how the ring 'name' is SO important, but not other stuff. Neither should be important imo, but it amuses me.
  • Options
    I voted, but that's anonymous.  I'm totally comfortable with what my ring cost.  Although, at first, I tried to convince FI to get me a fake stone.  I also thought we could use the money elsewhere, but he really wanted to "prove" himself to me and my family.  If that's what he wanted, so be it. He could afford it, so I won't say anything :)

I'm not sure who annoyed me more... the "my ring was only $100 and I can't believe people would spend more than that" girls or the "oohh let me brag! My ring is 15 carats, perfect cut, blahblahblah" girls.

On a related note- I'm 24, and most of my friends discuss money pretty openly.  FI and I just had this conversation.  I don't really think much of it to discuss how much I pay for rent or how much I make.  We've discussed house payments with friends as well. I think it's because so much of that information is readily available online anyway (including my salary- I work for a University.)  The other part is that we're all going through the same things.... FI and I were looking for houses, so friends weren't as 'weird' telling us how much they paid and what kind of monthly payments that turned out to be, etc.

• Options

My friend told me it was rude to have over a year long engagement. Like, it's rude to loved ones or something. I still don't get the logic of it.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_face-punch-nonengaged-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9a613909-ade7-45af-a6d6-7c1b1e1e708aPost:233b408b-7878-415f-a8b0-773af50dbe6c">Re: Face punch to nonengaged comments...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My friend told me it was rude to have over a year long engagement. Like, it's rude to loved ones or something. I still don't get the logic of it.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

Whaaa? The logic of this escapes me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_face-punch-nonengaged-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9a613909-ade7-45af-a6d6-7c1b1e1e708aPost:0de34e5c-d230-41c8-be8a-935c1446eb47">Re: Face punch to nonengaged comments...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did any of your friends start refering to their significant other only as "Fiance" after being engaged and only as "husband" months after the wedding? At first it was funny when my one friend did it because it made me think of "The Dingo Ate My Baby" from Seinfeld but after 3 days it got reeeeeeeeeeeeally old.
    Posted by SCBojangles1138[/QUOTE]

I'm confused.

Do you mean in normal conversation they'd say something like "Oh, Fiance is out mowing the lawn," not "Oh, John is out mowing the lawn?"  Cause yeah that would be annoying.  But I didn't refer to Josh as my fiance until he was, in fact, my fiance.

This is slightly off-topic but nothing, and I do mean nothing, grates my nerves like the girls who aren't engaged and it's ALL THEY TALK ABOUT to their girlfriends and they nag the crap out of their poor men.  "Where's my ring?"  "When you propose..." "When we get engaged..." blah blah blah.  And when they finally DO get engaged, you can't help but wonder a-) if the guy did it just to shut her up and b-) if he still has balls, or the girl is wearing them instead.
  • Options
    This is more of a blanket statement, but a lot of my FB that are married or engaged get on my nerves with having to point out that they have a husband or a FI in literally every single status update. "Going to work, then coming home to hubby", "Washing the car, then FI is taking me for mini-golf"  ... and they don't use their names, only the words "husband" or "fiance". Then again, a lot of the people that are dating will do the same thing with the word "boyfriend".

I was completely unaware that if you were married or engaged that you were legally obligated to mention this to everyone you know at least once a day.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_face-punch-nonengaged-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9a613909-ade7-45af-a6d6-7c1b1e1e708aPost:233b408b-7878-415f-a8b0-773af50dbe6c">Re: Face punch to nonengaged comments...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My friend told me it was rude to have over a year long engagement. Like, it's rude to loved ones or something. I still don't get the logic of it.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

Rude? That's wierd...I mean a lot of ppl my FI knows thinks that over a year is long, but he's also from a place where most kids are "settled" within a year after high school graduation (not that that's a bad thing - just giving some background). But I have never heard of it being considered rude.
    Mrs. Wiggins image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_face-punch-nonengaged-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9a613909-ade7-45af-a6d6-7c1b1e1e708aPost:0cb47409-25e9-4208-b5a9-6187b79ee66f">Re: Face punch to nonengaged comments...</a>:
    [QUOTE]. I was completely unaware that if you were married or engaged that you were legally obligated to mention this to everyone you know at least once a day.
    Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]

<div>ditto this.  I mean, FI and I will mention it once in awhile, if there's a reason. Like "taking engagement pictures with the fiance!" But that's about it.</div><div>
    </div><div>This ranks right up there with the matching facebook pictures.</div>
  • Options
    Wow. I'm checking out the snarky board for the first time today, and I'm glad I did. I agree with all of you! A coworker of mine has been planning her wedding forever, and I'm pretty sure she's not even engaged to her kids' father. Nevermind the fact that she's always catching him in shady situations, like in a hotel room with some females because his phone wasn't working and he was going to call her from their room... But it's still all about her and she's going to be a princess and spend a bunch of money on her wedding...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_face-punch-nonengaged-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9a613909-ade7-45af-a6d6-7c1b1e1e708aPost:3633d322-c2e3-4a39-927b-9f6d02079edc">Re: Face punch to nonengaged comments...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Face punch to nonengaged comments... : ditto this.  I mean, FI and I will mention it once in awhile, if there's a reason. Like "taking engagement pictures with the fiance!" But that's about it. This ranks right up there with the matching facebook pictures.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

I always feel like there's either something wrong with me for being annoyed by it (And also not doing it), or that there's something wrong with everybody else for having to point it out ... idk, to me, my relationship status says "married", my current pic is one of me at my wedding ... I'm pretty sure people know I'm married without constantly making updates that reference it.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_face-punch-nonengaged-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9a613909-ade7-45af-a6d6-7c1b1e1e708aPost:d0c87144-5a72-40e2-99ce-3ce660eed767">Re: Face punch to nonengaged comments...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I never called Mr. S "husband" or "fiance" or "boyfriend". I always call him by his first name or nickname but it depends on who I'm talking to though. When I'm talking to, let's say, someone from the bank, I say "husband". I hate titles.
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]

Yeah, DH is either his actual name or a nickname. I'm pretty sure everybody knows who he is at this point, I don't need to label him, lol.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_face-punch-nonengaged-comments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9a613909-ade7-45af-a6d6-7c1b1e1e708aPost:52846db7-22cf-4caa-b7cd-a57ba43134d4">Re: Face punch to nonengaged comments...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Face punch to nonengaged comments... : I<strong>'m confused. Do you mean in normal conversation they'd say something like "Oh, Fiance is out mowing the lawn," not "Oh, John is out mowing the lawn?"</strong>  Cause yeah that would be annoying.  But I didn't refer to Josh as my fiance until he was, in fact, my fiance. This is slightly off-topic but nothing, and I do mean nothing, grates my nerves like the girls who aren't engaged and it's ALL THEY TALK ABOUT to their girlfriends and they nag the crap out of their poor men.  "Where's my ring?"  "When you propose..." "When we get engaged..." blah blah blah.  And when they finally DO get engaged, you can't help but wonder a-) if the guy did it just to shut her up and b-) if he still has balls, or the girl is wearing them instead.
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]

Yes that is EXACTLY what she does. We were at a softball game once and he was up to bat and everyone was quiet and she yells out "GO HUSBAND!!!!!" I wanted to push her off the bleacher.

And I agree, presumptive girlfriends are obnoxious. My MOH's brother just proposed. We're pretty sure he did it because 1) little sister is engaged and 2) his FI has been having panick attacks because "her biological clock is ticking." Yes she's 30, but still...
    Mrs. Wiggins image
  • Options
    Thanks, Steph.  I'm checking it out right now.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    Ditto all the fb weirdness.

"Making dinner with hubby!" just kills me.
    Also, "Only 432 days until the wedding! Haven't even ordered favors yet!!1!" makes me want to hurl.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards