Snarky Brides
Options

Cancer

2»

Re: Cancer

• Options
    My FFIL had prostate cancer about 2 years ago.  I don't know much about the stage but I know that he had radiation.  The radiation was difficult on him, but he did well and is fine now.  

I wish I knew more to tell you, but my FI's family doesn't talk about medical stuff AT ALL!!  Its hard for me, being a nurse, to not know any of his family medical history (its going to be our children's history someday!!).

It literally took me over a year to find out what the "stomach surgery" FFIL had (he had his gallbladder out) while my FI knew that he'd had some type of surgery (on himself) "down below" as a baby, it took him over two years to find out that he'd had had a hernia repair at 3 months!
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your dad, Spartan.  :(  I don't know  much about prostate cancer, but I do know a few people who've lived through and survived cancer, including myself.

I was diagnosed with stage 1b (borderline stage 2 based on thickness of the tumor) melanoma in 2009.   I've had 3 surgeries, but it was caught early.  Early detection is key.  I see my doctor more than I wish I had to, but it's worth it.  I've had 2 pre-cancers removed since my initial diagnosis so I'll be getting skin checks for the rest of my life.

I think it would be harder time if I found out that one of my parents had cancer, honestly.  I was scared for myself, and had to figure out the whole "oh crap, I'm mortal" concept, but I would probably wig out if one of my parents had it.

That said, stage 2 of a treatable cancer is good.  My friend's dad had stage 2 prostate cancer and has been in remission for 2 years now.   I'll keep your family in my T&P.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    Hi there, I'm late to this thread and I'm so sorry to have missed it, I hope you get this. My Mom is a stage 3 breast cancer survivor. This year we will celebrate her 10th year of survivorship. My grandmother is a colon cancer survivor- for almost 25 years. I am a 8 year melanoma survivor. I am so sorry that your dad got this diagnosis. It's so hard to go through that and so scary I know. I know many many prostrate cancer survivors who have been survivors for years and years and are completely cancer free. It's scary and it sucks and I hate everything about cancer, but you will be okay. He will be okay. For me it was hard to figure out how to take care of someone who had always taken care of me. I was 19 when my mom was diagnosed and I didn't know how to handle it. I through myself into volunteering, fundraising and Relay For Life. It made me feel like I was active Y fighting back which made me feel like I was taking care of her. Through my years as a volunteer and
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Sorry, I'm on TK mobile and it cut me off- I was just going to say that now through my years of volunteering and now working for the American Cancer Society I can tell you that I have met so many cancer survivors through they years, all kinds of cancer in all kinds of stages. There is life beyond cancer, you need to remember that. If you ever need anything feel free to PM me, cancer is something I have a lot of experience wi and I'd be happy to hook your dad up with survivors if he ever feels the need to talk with someone who went through it. I know people say thing like "well if you're going to get cancer, that's the kind you want to get" but really, no one wants to get cancer. So it's okay to be pissed and think it sucks. Just remember though that he will be okay and you will be okay. I'll be thinking of you both!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your posts and T&P. I am so happy to hear so many on here have experienced cancer and been able to come out on the good side. I'm sure there are many that deserve to be recognized for their fight who didn't make it but I can't think about it right now. My dad was already at work so I couldn't talk to him tonight but I had a good long talk with my brother which helped alot, too.
    Thanks again everyone and I'll let you know how the testing goes on Tuesday.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cancer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9ddc1949-0565-4a38-96b9-dcb37f2126e2Post:2f1aeefb-9958-45eb-bd14-eb762faade8d">Cancer</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey guys I got a phone call from my mom today that my dad has stage two prostate cancer. I know prostate cancer is one of the more treatable kinds of cancer but I'm still struggling to keep my emotions in check as I can't go home. I'm afraid to do any research right now while I still have half a day of work to go so I was hoping some of you guys could share some happy stories about cancer that you or a loved one has beaten? I really appreciate any support. Sincerely, Freaked out Spartan
    Posted by SpartanCat[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Hi there, my mom was diagnosed with cancer in her uterus when I was in the fifth grade. The doctors told her that she had only 3 months to live, she was on oral chemo-therapy and her hair was falling out. She was only 27 years old, she not only lived past the three months but she beat the cancer completely and is now 37 years old and has been in remission for the past 8 years. I remember praying every night, my faith was tested and so was hers but God did a miracle in my life and am grateful everyday that she is healthy and I have her in my life. </div>
  • Options
    Woohoo - GO SPARTANS!!!!

DH is a Spartan, my nephews are Spartans, couple of other relatives in DH's family are Spartans, and my son will be too.  He graduates HS next year and has to pay for 2 years at LCC first.  Then he can have my GI Bill for MSU.  My favorite shirt on the waiters at BD's - "Wolverine..hmm, tastes like chicken!"

Anyhoo, My FIL and second Dad had prostate cancer.  My FIL is 80 and kicking life hard.  Hope I am in his shape when I am that age.

It was completely treatable in both of them.  I'm sure your dad will come though with flying colors.  If you have to deal with the Cancer Monster, this is the one that is most easily treated.  Wishing him good luck in a quick treatement/recovery.
  • Options

This post could not have come at a better time. My FI just finished radiation last month for a sarcoma and received great test results from his doctors. Even with the great news, I let my thoughts get the best of me sometimes and these happy stories are just what I needed to pull myself out of the funk I've been in lately.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cancer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9ddc1949-0565-4a38-96b9-dcb37f2126e2Post:71ce0611-685b-40a9-a1b3-a6a00706c9a1">Re: Cancer</a>:
    [QUOTE]Woohoo - GO SPARTANS!!!! <div> My favorite shirt on the waiters at BD's - "Wolverine..hmm, tastes like chicken!" 
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]

</div><div> I have that shirt!!</div><div>Thanks for your thoughts, guys : )</div>

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I am late to this, but I have two positive stories:

1. Uncle had stage II prostate cancer 17 years ago. He has been cancer free at least 15 years.

2. Unrelated cancer but very positive: I knew a 5 year old boy with stage 4 Neuroblastoma. That only has about a 15% survival rate. He is 12 now, and no issues!

Your dad is going to be fine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards