Snarky Brides

come talk to me

Re: come talk to me

• I didn't know this, but I guess the company I work for does not offer paid maternity leave. I don't know how I feel about this. We do have awesome insurance, though.
  • Erin - can you apply for short term disability while on maternity leave?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:19465f4d-ea5c-44f8-8d24-5c594744b8ef">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Best part? They're all so pissy about not being secretaries, because they're SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT.  Yet, the one who's the biggest union pusher in our office? Sent an email to the director last week "FYI. This week is Administrative Professionals Day." all "don't forget to buy me shiit." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

Ohhhhh steph, it was a shiit show at my school. If your grade level didn't do anything for them that week, or something they didn't find to be great, they definitely didn't do you any favors the rest of the year.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:0958d888-a4b0-4793-b56c-637f87358843">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]MuSu- does your mom work at the same campus as me?? And, for serious. I've earned more in my retirement account the last 8 months than I did the 3 and a half years prior. It's insane. And, this baby? Costing me $15. total. thanks, tax payers! (actually, that's not true. My department is completely self-sufficient so we don't get any money from taxes/government or tuition.)

Yeah she does, she works in the dept that does all the fundraising and such. I will be really bummed once I'm out of school and have to get my own health insurance because it is so good right now. lol.
  • Erin- ygpm by the way
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:f95e7999-461e-47c1-bba6-49cb2541a3ba">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]You guys.... teachers go on strike because it's in the best interest of the students. They never go on strike for their own benefit. Most teachers don't get paid. Many even pay to teach. They all are good teachers, and they all do it because they love teaching. They don't even enjoy the 180 days off a year but they reluctantly take them because the rest of the year, they work 27 hours a day, 9 days a week. So shut yo mouths about teachers.
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

Vagina High-Five!
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • fucking Hallmark holidays.

I give my director credit though. haha she sent out an email to everyone that would maybe be considered 'admin' explaining that this year they wouldn't be doing gifts for Admin day. Because, as we all know they do far more than just secretarial work, and we consider them to be far more than just administrative assistants. hahaha That did not go over well.
  • Hike- you will like this.  Once you retire as a teacher, and start getting your pension, you are allowed to get another job.  Even another Govt job.  Yay for double salary!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:57a5e22f-ed64-4d9f-93ec-c179a460c530">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Erin - can you apply for short term disability while on maternity leave?
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

<div> No idea. I'm not TTC or even thinking about that right now. Well, I'm thinking and wishing we were there, but a woman I work with is getting ready to start her maternity leave and since I'm in accounting and help with payroll I figured it out.  (That was a really long sentence...) I just thought it was weird because we're a really family friendly workplace and I figured paid maternity leave would be part of that.</div>
  • gah, musu. Does she get to work in the alumni building? I wish I could've gotten married there. It's absolutely gorgeous.
  • Erin, get STD anyway. Forreal. If it's an option, do it. That shiit is awesome, from everyone I've talked to. For me, I get to double dip on mine. So I'm getting 12 weeks paid maternity leave (6 weeks paid, 6 weeks of vacation time) AND a payout of 66% my salary (pre tax) for three months. woop.  

Is hould probably stop complaining about my job now, huh? ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:6d05dad6-779b-484b-b6d1-1c988fc7993d">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hike- you will like this.  Once you retire as a teacher, and start getting your pension, you are allowed to get another job.  Even another Govt job.  Yay for double salary!
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]
    I think a lot of goverment workers can do that too, right? I know in the military they can and that's our plan, Double salary. And I'll like it every month. :-)<div>
    </div><div>But you were right before about teachers never leaving. The elementary school I went to had an 80 year old teacher. </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:51288ff1-f71e-4a5d-bb58-dfc46cc3b1f0">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]gah, musu. Does she get to work in the alumni building? I wish I could've gotten married there. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Haha yeah. :) It always smells like a chlorinated pool in the atrium area. I always used to piss off the secretary (or "administrative assistant") when I visited her because I never checked in at the desk, lol.

Also? This might make me sound like an ass, but I am expecting to get a starting salary of at LEAST 50-60k when I graduate. I will be really sad if I don't. I need that just to afford my student loans after all this shiit. J expects at least 60k too when he's done.
  • In WI I know a few of my parents friends who were teachers retired in their 50's because continuing to teach longer would actually have resulted in their pensions going down.  I'm not sure how that worked since I had already moved out of state so I didn't get enough of the details, just some basics from random conversations when I happened to be home visiting.
  • Hike - YGPM back!

• Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I was playing Jeopardy on Wii with my BIL while FIL was watching.  Halfway through he goes "Mel, you should totally be a teacher."

I didnt even look up as "over my fucking rotting corpse" came out of my mouth.

That was the end of that discussion.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:c3b99c0c-8369-4995-9768-14d0287f6a6e">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hike - YGPM back!
    Posted by ErinG93[/QUOTE]
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Here are some bullets from teh job description:

"Requires the ability to work independently while performing assigned administrative services. The work is performed under established guidelines and directives. "

May assist only with informal orientation and training of other employees on office procedures.

Manage office supplies. 
  • Teachers here don't get paid crap. Their pay actually gets cut every single year, while their workload increases. My mom's school, all teachers had/have to attend an all-day Saturday workshop for like 8 Saturdays, for no additional pay. They also have to stay for required meetings and whatnot throughout the week for no pay.

Honestly, I don't know how she can stay in that county or area for the rest of her career.
  • Since I observe a lot of client meetings in my internship, I learn about random job salaries since all the divorce clients have to divulge that kind of stuff. It is quite interesting to see the range in what people make in various professions. Police officers? Damn they can make a shitton of money.
  • Sesh- I was so surprised to see that the salary down here was about $10,000 less than I made in Virginia. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:4fee77ae-6baf-4a91-b477-9e9f1288714d">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since I observe a lot of client meetings in my internship, I learn about random job salaries since all the divorce clients have to divulge that kind of stuff. It is quite interesting to see the range in what people make in various professions.<strong><u> Police officers? Damn they can make a shitton of money.
    </u></strong>Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

But at least they are held accountable for not doing their job you know?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • There is a school here that wants to be allowed to drug test kids without parental consent.  With a cheek swab. 

Sigh.  This is the shiit schools worry about here. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:70ede0c0-93bb-405f-954d-9d7205529b1a">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: come talk to me : But at least they are held accountable for not doing their job you know?
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, definitely. I mean, there are a lot of crappy POs out there, but I don't have that much of a problem for their salary amounts. Their job is a difficult one.
  • Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2012
    A. This post (title) makes me think of "Come and Talk to Me" bu Jodeci....God, how I miss them.

B. Did you think about maybe a mudroom Steph?

The house we are getting has a huge closet too. But we will leave as is.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hey Denise!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I only have a minor degree of shame in admitting that part of my motivation for going into this career path is because of the money. But I also do really enjoy what I'm doing, regardless of how sometimes I feel like school is killing me slowly, lol.
  • Police officers can also be SHOT on a daily basis. I'm fine with that. But yeah, with their OT, they can easily make six figures.
  • cheeseandricecheeseandrice member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2012
    yeah, Denise. (HI by the way!). We want to make the closet a pseudo-mudroom. 

ETA: the closet door is really big. If we took off the doors, the opening would be like 4 feet wide and 7 feet tall.
  • Although, I will add that some of their details, like traffic stuff, should be given to flag men or something.  There is no need for a cop to do that stuff. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards