Snarky Brides

Are you getting lucky?

Who's buying lotto tickets??

What would you do with $540,000,000? (Over $20,000,000/year OR a cash lump sum of $200,000,000+ AFTER taxes.)

Let's day dream for awhile, eh?

Re: Are you getting lucky?

• FI was telling me what he would do if he won yesterday. All I could think of was, "If I were a billionaire." 

It would definitely be awesome. So many things to do, see, and buy. 
  • There was a HUGE line for the machine at Ralph's last night and H & I decided that the winning ticket never comes from a grocery store, its always a liquor store. So he is getting our tickets this afternoon.

If I win, I am coming in on Monday (late) and quitting in a similar fashion to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi5NDFyIl6s
  • If I win it'd for sure be a sign from God, I don't even know how to buy a lottery ticket.

Also, FYI in case any of you win, it's almost always better in the long run to take the annuity (annual pay out).  I'd be happy to help you work out the finances for a small fee Cool
  • Where were you when we talked about this the other day, hoar?  :)

I guess Ben and all his co-workers went in on a bunch of tickets together, so if they won, we are estimating a 30 million dollar payout.  Which isn't bad.

I am debating buying a few tickets after work, lol.

Our debt would be gone, which is really just my car loan and his student debt.  Not much on CCs. We'd buy an awesome house and new cars (at least for Ben, yikes the Stang has got to go).  Make a lot of smart investments.

I talked yesterday about how I'd like to help my dad with the flooding issues back home but hell, if I won the mega millions, I could build a fucking ditch and drain the damn lake myself.

I'd also wipe my ass with diamond encrusted toilet paper.
    panther
  • We cant buy tickets here against the law
  • I'm going to buy a ticket. H was all "you know the odds are even more astronomical now that it's so high and everyone is buying a ticket?" Of course I know that, but I don't care. We also discussed what we'd do with the money, of course.

We'd buy several houses. One in New Orleans, one in Key West, and one of those big stone manor motherfuckers somewhere in the UK. I'd of course take care of our respective families. like, all of them, parents, siblings, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, the whole shebang. And by take care of, I mean pay off mortgages and whatnot. In addition, I'd hand out cash to immediate family. 

I'd donate a shitload of money to the Ron Paul campaign. If I can't get him in office legitimately, I have no qualms about buying the office for him ;) 
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • I'm feeling lucky today, my boss just surprised me with a raise, so clearly I'm going to win.

If I won, the first thing I would do is make a 10 million dollar donation to our local Childrens Hospital. Then I'd take care of our immediate family and closest friends. I'd also probably buy a lot of really ridiculous things ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • dmiller9274dmiller9274 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    also, not sure why I was thinking about this on the way to work today, but I would like to see statistics on gas station robberies. With all the debit and cc users these days, gas stations aren;t really profitable robbing locations most days. When the lottery is high, I would think robberies would be high since they know that there's actually a lot of cash in store. On the news this morning a local gas station said they sold 28k in lottery tickets yesterday...that's kind of like an advertisement to get robbed. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • LC- ACTUALLY, statistically speaking, it's worth it to spend about $4 on the lottery now ;)

We would obviously pay off all debts and buy a new house. We'd both quit our jobs and do something volunteer. H would love to open an inner-city boxing/MMA gym for youth. (He wants to do this eventually regardless.)

That would about cover the first annual payout ;)
  • That is a cray thought dmill.

Our local paper printed a story yesterday on what to do if you do win the mega millions - reading it kinda freaked me out, lol.
    panther
  • I am not sure if I'd quit my job.  Ben is like "hell yeah I'd quit my job and do things I'd enjoy" rather than work all day, but I do enjoy my job.  And I like doing something with my day.

Course, with that kind of money I'm sure I could find plenty of things to do... lol.
    panther
  • Smash AdamsSmash Adams member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I bought $5 worth of tickets.  I'd pay off the house and my student loan debt, probably still finish law school (I might as well), and maybe pay off student loan debt for some of my classmates.  I would help out my family.  I don't think I'd quit my job, but who knows.  

I'd definitely take the annual payout :)

Edit:  I'd also give my friend/coworker money to leave her husband, and pay for her kid's schooling.  And we'd both go get some plastic surgery.  Fuuck yeah.

"Smash's balls are the biggest balls of them all." -AATB

• Foxnews had a thing:

To put $253 million into context, you could:

-- pay off 1/10,000 of the U.S. debt;

-- [on average] feed a family of four for 22,381 years OR feed 22,381 families of four for one year;

-- buy 281 million Twinkies;

-- buy 1,265 seats/trips to outer space aboard Virgin Galactic;

-- start a company and pay 10 employees $100,000 for 253 years;

-- buy Michael Jackson's estate [$23.9 Million], Britney Spears' mansion [$2.9 million], Madonna's Beverly Hills mansion [$28 million], Jerry Seinfeld's Colorado estate [$18 million] and Michael Jordan's Chicago-area estate [$29 million] AND STILL have $150 million remaining.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/03/30/mega-millions-101-what-need-to-know-before-mega-draw/#ixzz1qcNhEVBz
  • I don't have a job to quit, so it's a moot point for me, but H said he'd quit his. And then maybe open his own business in his field. I don't know though. I think he'd really enjoy doing whatever the hell he wanted. 
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Didn't we just talk about winning the lottery yesterday?
  • I love my job, like a lot, but if I was sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars, I'm pretty sure that when the alarm clock went off at 5:25am, I'd talk myself out of the "I'd still keep my job" mentality. I'd probably try to open a couple of business ventures that I managed from a very high level, but that'd mostly just to give more people jobs. I'd treat my employees really well. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We bought 2 tickets.  One with the numbers I always play (when i do anyway) and one random draw.

If we won I'd open a combined free clinic and research center.  I'd use a very small % of the winnings to pay airfare to travel the country on a face-to-face grant and employee finding expedition (visiting people as I travelled), sell our house and get a farm on a huge parcel where I can have a huge orchard and farm enough veggies to supply my restaurant.  And if I'm that stinkin rich, I might just build a drive-in theater on my property just for fun.  A full-service drive in restaurantnt.  hmmm.

So essentially, it's too much money for me to even think of spending  ;)
  • I have never bought lotto tickets before.  How do you do it?  Do you get to pick your own numbers or what the hell?  And are they at all the gas stations?

Lol.  I have some bad steaks in the fridge so I think I'm going to buy some lottery tickets tonight after work when I go to pick up new steaks.  I'm thinking the bad steaks are a sign.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_are-you-getting-lucky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c25caa91-6c93-49ff-afcf-7fe6bf453b3cPost:f160675f-cab6-4a37-ad5a-41f35cf0d6d3">Re:Are you getting lucky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Didn't we just talk about winning the lottery yesterday?
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Apparently, but I missed it. Oh well. People apparently still want to talk about it.
  • haha aatb. We get them from the gas station. You have to pay cash.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_are-you-getting-lucky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c25caa91-6c93-49ff-afcf-7fe6bf453b3cPost:2576687b-6b88-4c49-bdf1-fff5ee5eff8e">Re:Are you getting lucky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Are you getting lucky? : Apparently, but I missed it. Oh well. People apparently still want to talk about it.
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

Actually I'd rather talk about whether I am going to get lucky while I am comatose asleep later tonight.
  • Cash?  Fcuk.  lol.
    panther
  • Actually, I have a Powerball ticket we never cashed in (it's like $10.) Maybe I'll just use that to buy the new lotto ticket ;)
  • I buy mine from 7-11 I am able to pay debt there. We have like $6 in tickets and my old boss, my sister and myself just bought $10

• Dumb question.  I have ONE dollar.  There isn't tax on this shiit, is there?  HAHHA
    panther
  • DodgersBrideDodgersBride member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    We won a $1 on our last ticket so of course we put that in. I am actually hoping I win dollar pool at work today.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_are-you-getting-lucky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c25caa91-6c93-49ff-afcf-7fe6bf453b3cPost:3b01e99c-0526-4924-b0a3-db9bbee60062">Re: Are you getting lucky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dumb question.  I have ONE dollar.  There isn't tax on this shiit, is there?  HAHHA
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Nope. the profits go to the gov, and you get taxed on winnings if they're above a certain amount.
  • I stopped at Wawa this morning to get lunch and tickets.  I had to use a machine that was partially broken.  It was stressful and there was quite the line behind me.  Pleasant surprise that it was only $1 a ticket and not $2 (stupid Powerball).
  • I would still teach, but I would pay someone to do all of my paperwork for me. I would tell the principal I would give a ton of money to the school if he gave me an assitant :-) H would quit his job and buy a bunch of investment properties to manage.
    Pay off all our debt.

I would buy a larger home, new cars for my H and I, buy my parents a new house and cars, buy H's parents new houses, new houses for H's siblings, and new cars.
    Stock up my future children's college funds and trust funds.
    Donate a chunk of money to Alzeimer's research.
    Buy a bunch of fancy clothes.
    Travel a ton!!!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_are-you-getting-lucky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c25caa91-6c93-49ff-afcf-7fe6bf453b3cPost:42d4ffcb-3171-466c-bd46-05d6e7301505">Re: Are you getting lucky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I <strong>stopped at Wawa</strong> this morning to get lunch and tickets.  I had to use a machine that was partially broken.  It was stressful and there was quite the line behind me.  Pleasant surprise that it was only $1 a ticket and not $2 (stupid Powerball).
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

I'm jealous. I would open a Wawa here with my winnings, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards