Snarky Brides

Are you getting lucky?

2»

Re: Are you getting lucky?

• This is what I said yesterday:
    First things I would do if we won: get a lawyer immediately, probably take down all of my social media profiles, change my phone number, install a security system and not tell anyone I actually won.

Then, we'd give each of our families $10mil (siblings too), pay off all outstanding debts, purchase our dream home and donate half of the rest to charity and put the other half in some sort of interest-bearing account.

Add to this list: new boobies.
  • I'd DEF quit my job. I'd pay off my student debt, sell our house, buy/build a better/bigger one. H would quit his job and I think we'd both start our own businesses - his relating to cars and mine to cooking. I'd set my sister up with a house and her kids trust funds for school. My parents. H's parents and neice. I'd give a little something to my bro and his kids, and maybe a little to H's sister and law. We'd set his brother up. I'd give a bunch of money to the local animal shelters. Invest.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_are-you-getting-lucky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c25caa91-6c93-49ff-afcf-7fe6bf453b3cPost:14cc5cf3-efde-4415-b1e5-7a6765eb2e74">Re: Are you getting lucky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is what I said yesterday:<strong> First things I would do if we won: get a lawyer immediately, probably take down all of my social media profiles, change my phone number, install a security system and not tell anyone I actually won.</strong> Then, we'd give each of our families $10mil (siblings too), pay off all outstanding debts, purchase our dream home and donate half of the rest to charity and put the other half in some sort of interest-bearing account. Add to this list: new boobies.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

<div>Same. I'd give my brother and my parents each a large chunk of change and buy reasonable houses and cars in decent neighborhoods for H's family members. I would not trust them with a lump sum.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'd buy a bigger house, probably not a huge one but definitely on lots of land. I'd finish school, but I don't know if I'd work. H might quit his job, but I think he'd at least take something less stressful.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'd donate the majority of what was left. I'd like to see a completely free spay/neuter program for pets.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_are-you-getting-lucky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c25caa91-6c93-49ff-afcf-7fe6bf453b3cPost:7a4cff7c-4212-437b-b100-50a4fa625f1f">Re: Are you getting lucky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Foxnews had a thing: To put $253 million into context, you could: -- pay off 1/10,000 of the U.S. debt; -- [on average] feed a family of four for 22,381 years OR feed 22,381 families of four for one year;<strong> -- buy 281 million Twinkies</strong>; -- buy 1,265 seats/trips to outer space aboard Virgin Galactic; -- start a company and pay 10 employees $100,000 for 253 years; -- buy Michael Jackson's estate [$23.9 Million], Britney Spears' mansion [$2.9 million], Madonna's Beverly Hills mansion [$28 million], Jerry Seinfeld's Colorado estate [$18 million] and Michael Jordan's Chicago-area estate [$29 million] AND STILL have $150 million remaining. Read more: <a href="http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/03/30/mega-millions-101-what-need-to-know-before-mega-draw/#ixzz1qcNhEVBz" rel="nofollow">http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/03/30/mega-millions-101-what-need-to-know-before-mega-draw/#ixzz1qcNhEVBz</a>
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

Oh, the important things in life.
  • I don't play, so it would be so totally awesome if I did win, lol.  I would take the lump sum, since tomorrow's not promised to me (I could die or the lottery people could run out of money or get shut down or something) and I want all of my money now.  I would pay off all of my, FI and my mom's debt and then pay off my little sister's student loans.  I would buy rental property, forclosed houses and fix them up so that I would always have income. I would also get financial advice from someone who made themselves wealthy and invest in something like they did so that I could grow more wealth.

After the money part was taken care of, I would have a huge elegant wedding somewhere fabulous and fly out all the people FI and I are close to and we would all party for about a month on a private island, which I would buy.  Somewhere with a beautiful beach.  I would hire Davi Tutera to do my wedding.  I would open the nonprofit transitional housing agency I've had the idea for in my head for a while now and set up an endowment for it so that it would always have funding.

I would travel the world with my FI who would be my husband at that point and the kids and buy fabulous houses in the places we like best.  I would have a personal trainer, massuse(sp?), chef, hair stylist and nanny that went everywhere with us.

I think that's a great start. lol.
  • Couple things:

matty- that shiit was funny. I shared it with my boss and coworker.

dmill- congrats on the surprise raise

and- I would buy either a home or an entire island of the Turks and Caicos. or maybe just all of turks and caicos. I would buy a nation.
  • Oh, and I'd give a shitton of money to women's health centers. Birth control is cheaper than raising an unwanted kid.
  • I answered this yesterday, but...

After thinking about it more, I would

-pay off my and FI's student loans
    -pay off FI's car and get him his Ford Raptor
    -sell my car and buy a new one
    -use some of it for wedding expenses
    -give some of it to my parents to pay off their house and for retirement
    -if I wasn't joining the military, buy our dream house
    -hire a housecleaner (I hate cleaning)
    -donate some of it to the animal shelter I adopted my brother's dog from
    -save the rest of it

There might be more stuff I would do, but nothing else I can think of right now.
    knotsigpicture Anniversary
  • Dot, I get to do lasik again for "free," hehe.
    panther
  • My left eye is ever so slightly over-corrected, so I have to get an enhancement lasik on it in a few more months.  But, I don't have to pay for it because if a patient does need an enhancement it's already included in the original cost.

I'm excited.  Lasik is fun.  Hmm, xanax.
    panther
  • edited March 2012
    It is very rare that it happens, but the worse your vision is, I guess the better the chances are?  I was VERY nearsighted.  Like 5.5 and 6.

My initial lasik was in January and I have to wait at least six months post-op just to make sure that my vision isn't going to correct itself and my eye has time to heal completely.  My eye doctor told me at my one-month post op that he doesn't believe my eye will correct itself.  So yeah, sometime this summer!
    panther
  • I would totally buy an island and live there most of the time. And probably give my friends some cash so they didn't have to work and could just hang out with me on my island. So I would pay my friends to be my friends. Laughing

I would for sure give my parents/brother/IL's/BIL lots of dough so they can do what they want. We would pay off our house and cars and buy all the stuff we wanted to. I would probably build a huge new house with a kickass backyard. Pool, tennis, basketball, the whole nine. Have some kids maybe. Get a private jet to cart anyone I want to my island.

Pretty much anything you can think of can be done with that amount of money, it's crazy. I kind of hope a bunch of people win a few million each. That would be badass, since I would have a better chance of winning.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_are-you-getting-lucky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c25caa91-6c93-49ff-afcf-7fe6bf453b3cPost:8fb219f3-4037-40d1-b198-1a2ede6f4e90">Re: Are you getting lucky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nope, no tax on the lotto tickets AATB. Just think of all the creative ways you could quit your job if you won the lotto. I like my job, but if I came into a huge amount of money I wouldn't stay. 
    Posted by kodakitty[/QUOTE]

No tax on the ticket; they take about 50% of your winnings though. Still $320 million is nothing to sneeze at.  When I win, I am going to

-Pay off car, student loans, and house
    -Buy my parents a house
    -Bring an In and Out to Austin
    -Invest in rental properties, franchises, and/or stocks of some sort
    -Buy a vacation home (or two)
    -Quit my job and open a shop of some sort, maybe a bakery or diner
    -Buy a house on the lake
    -Hire a personal trainer, chef, and nutritionist and get super buff.

ETA: Oh yeah, and I forgot about the dog rescue.  How could I forget about the dog rescue?  I would buy a ranch or some land to house rescue group for pups on.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I purchased 5 tickets from Lowes, then went to the gym.  Coming out of the gym, I found $10 on the ground. It's like fate was telling me to go buy more.  So I promptly went to Food Lion on the way home and purchased 5 more multiplier tickets.  

I texted H and told him, and said that if I win we are going to Jamaica tomorrow to celebrate.  Then I remembered that my passport is still in my maiden name, and H doesn't even have one.  So, as soon as we get out passports, we would go to Jamaica to celebrate.

We'd buy a house for sure.  Not a super huge one, but a good sized one.

We would pay off H's student loans, my parents house, and my IL's house.  I'd buy a house for my brother out in Portland and give him a good chunk of money.  He works so hard just to make ends meet and he deserves a fallback way more than I do.

I would donate large amounts to Planned Parenthood and to an animal rescue (not sure which one yet, need to do some research).  I'd also donate to both of the Deaf schools in North Carolina and probably Indiana as well. And probably a few more charities/research organizations.

I would keep looking for a job, because 9 months of being unemployed has taught me that I actually love working.  H would probably keep working because he loves his job, but maybe only part time.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_are-you-getting-lucky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c25caa91-6c93-49ff-afcf-7fe6bf453b3cPost:63982647-b6dd-427d-b296-2f2924ccaef3">Re: Are you getting lucky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and I'd give a shitton of money to women's health centers. Birth control is cheaper than raising an unwanted kid.
    Posted by specialk84[/QUOTE]

I was literally thinking this same thing.  Paying off debt and having some fun is a no-brainer, but with that type of windfall, I can't imagine not supporting a few causes, and at the moment, birth control and women's rights are in the forefront of my mind.
    Anniversary
  • I can't even imagine what I would do with that much money! Definitely pay off both our debts, and my parents and his parents, probably all of our grandparents and aunts/uncles too. We would buy land and build a house, barn, stables, horses, someone to take care of the horses. Shane has always wanted to farm, so maybe we would do that too? Definitely travel all over the world. New truck for him. I would hire a maid and a chef. That's probably not even a dent in the winnings. 

I would like to think I'd keep working, because I enjoy teaching, but it would be hard to get up. It would be fun to totally trick out my classroom with the latest technology, a full set of laptops or iPads, the best educational apps and software, and school supplies to last the whole year. Shane definitely would not work lol. 
  • Well at least 1 winning ticket was sold in my state but not to me. Still hoping it's one of FH's relatives! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards