Snarky Brides
Options

Lets play...high/low...

I feel like it is a game on the Price is Right...but not really, a little different...

What things are you willing to spend money on and what things do you tend to either avoid buying altogether or buy the cheaper version/less expensive option...

Here are some of mine:

High
- running shoes
- computers/gadgets (I am an apple chick)
- most foods...our food budget is ridiculous.
- my winter coat
- music (in that I pay for it, as opposed to, well, not paying for it!)
- coffee (this is actually DH, we only buy fair trade coffee...it is super expensive but it is something he is now determined to do).

Low
- any shoes other than running shoes 
- most (but not quite all) clothes
- wine (I guess it depends on your definition of $$$ wine...an 'expensive' bottle for me is between $14 - 20...usually we just get the stuff that is between $9 and $14 - pretty cheap either way considering some bottles are in the hundreds!)
- furniture...I still really like Ikea.
- purses...I don't have any really expensive ones, kinda like my shoes!

Re: Lets play...high/low...

• Options
    I think everything but animal food is under low for me.  Surprised
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-playhighlow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d3bd5ec8-e20b-4df8-8125-ba95da7ae568Post:aa341583-3af7-4e26-80dd-c00f48c55494">Re: Lets play...high/low...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think everything but animal food is under low for me.  
    Posted by kimheartsscott[/QUOTE]

<div>We don't have pets...is there a big different between the 'good stuff' and the cheap stuff?</div>
  • Options
    High:
    Cars
    Electronics stuff (I prefer to buy way cheap, but sometimes you've just got to bite the bullet on those things)

Low:
    Everything else
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-playhighlow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d3bd5ec8-e20b-4df8-8125-ba95da7ae568Post:56626641-2e1d-4b2e-9177-18326466a4bd">Re: Lets play...high/low...</a>:
    [QUOTE]High: Cars Electronics stuff (I prefer to buy way cheap, but sometimes you've just got to bite the bullet on those things) Low: Everything else
    Posted by cupcakesfrosting[/QUOTE]

<div>Yep, add cars to my low list...my Kia does not count as a luxury vehicle in the least! </div>
  • Options
    high
    shoes
    produce
    dog food
    sports bras/bras
    sheets
    furniture
    gifts for others

low
    most groceries (buy generic over name brands)
    my clothes
    household items (kitchen gadgets, area rugs etc)

• Options
    Well, my idea of high for a car (considering we can't lease / get a loan on) is about $5,000.
  • Options
    We're pretty low on everything right now, although I'm sure things will change once we can afford to be higher on areas we'd prefer to be high.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-playhighlow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d3bd5ec8-e20b-4df8-8125-ba95da7ae568Post:81e52320-0d8f-4d7c-9e2c-b45d1edc5d1b">Re: Lets play...high/low...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, my idea of high for a car (considering we can't lease / get a loan on) is about $5,000.
    Posted by cupcakesfrosting[/QUOTE]

<div>yeah...okay, but let's put it this way...if you had the money, would you want an expensive car? Even if I had money for one I don't think it is on the list of places I would put my money. My BFF really wants a BMW. I am kinda meh about cars...as long as mine can get me from a to b, I don't really care about it.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-playhighlow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d3bd5ec8-e20b-4df8-8125-ba95da7ae568Post:05a95be2-04f2-49b8-8f55-331d511faf2c">Re: Lets play...high/low...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets play...high/low... : We don't have pets...is there a big different between the 'good stuff' and the cheap stuff?
    Posted by number55[/QUOTE]

I'm not Kim, but for me, we have to get expensive dog food because my dog is allergic to all kinds of things that are in cheap dog food.

My only high right now is that I'm going to splurge for some expensive skin care because nothing else is working to clear up my face.

Other than that, we're low on everything. IF we did have the money, though, I would be high on my car, makeup, and gym membership.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I want something reliable and budget-worthy. BMW's, Lexus' etc. = NOT budget-worthy. Haha. My dream (and current) car is a Jeep. I think they run between $15,000-30,000. That seems like a ton of money to me, but I like Jeeps and think they're worth it. I think $30,000-ish would be the absolute cap for me.
  • Options
    we looked at some new jeeps recently. the resale value on them is high, so the decision to buy slightly used and brand new is tight one. most of the new ones start at right about 20 and go way up to almost 40k (4 doors better suspension bigger wheels etc)
  • Options
    Highs:
    some groceries, like whole grain stuff, greek yogurt, and soy milk
    household appliances
    scrubs
    cookware and bakeware

Lows:
    clothes
    shoes
    cars
    alcohol
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Yeah...I think 30k would definitely be at the top end for me...my current car was like $18k on the 'sticker' price but by the time all the taxes, freight, getting it in auto and with AC was added on....it cost me $26k (which I paid off over 5 years with 0% financing).  That's my 'crappy kia' that I drive right now...$26k for a low end car! (But new, obviously I could have bought used, I chose not to).  

I know that when we have kids we will need something bigger and that something bigger will likely be more $$ than I want to spend. But oh well...gotta have room for strollers and car seats and groceries and adults...
  • Options
    minivans and midsize SUVs are very decently priced. you could easily walk out with a family car for under 26k. plus, the return of the family sedan is forthcoming! all the full size sedans now are starting to be more family (aka 2 kids) friendly.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-playhighlow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d3bd5ec8-e20b-4df8-8125-ba95da7ae568Post:c7f79801-4998-4ba1-9699-fffca43acfc1">Re: Lets play...high/low...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Highs: some groceries, like whole grain stuff, greek yogurt, and soy milk household appliances scrubs cookware and bakeware Lows: clothes shoes cars alcohol
    Posted by cac847[/QUOTE]

i never buy expensive scrubs. i wear hospital ones when i can. BUT i do spring extra for nice lab coats!!!
  • Options
    High:
    -GF foods is about it.

We do most things low here. The only brand name thing H is picky about is Hunt's canned tomato products and that's it.
  • Options
    KW...why canned tomatoes? Bad experience?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-playhighlow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d3bd5ec8-e20b-4df8-8125-ba95da7ae568Post:340db30a-5e3c-450f-b6dc-a418ed2a281a">Re: Lets play...high/low...</a>:
    [QUOTE]KW...why canned tomatoes? Bad experience?

I have no idea. He just swears that Hunt's tomatos are the best ones and refuses to cook with any other brand.

Oh, and we do feed Katie Blue Buffalo which is a bit pricey. It's worth it though.
  • Options
    I think it is awesome that there are people who spend less on themselves but spend good money on their pets. That says a lot. 
  • Options
    if my dogs didnt eat natural balance, one would probably die and the other would fart so bad i'd probably die. haha! i joke a lot about how the dogs eat better than we do. its the sad truth though!
  • Options
    After how easy it was for H to build his own computer for 600 bucks, and have it be ten times better than anything you could possibly buy premade for even close that price, I will never ever spend a ton of money on a desktop computer again. Other than that, I don't really splurge on one thing all the time, but occasionally I'll buy myself the fancy version.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-playhighlow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d3bd5ec8-e20b-4df8-8125-ba95da7ae568Post:c7f79801-4998-4ba1-9699-fffca43acfc1">Re: Lets play...high/low...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Highs: some groceries, like whole grain stuff, <strong>greek yogurt</strong>, and soy milk household appliances scrubs cookware and bakeware Lows: clothes shoes cars alcohol
    Posted by cac847[/QUOTE]

<div>Check your grocery store/ Target for the newish Greek Yogurt from Yoplait!  I can get four little (4 oz) containers for $1.50 usually.  score!</div>
  • Options
    High
    Dog food? (Blue Buffalo)
    Hair stuff (but I can use so much less of it then!)
    Beer
    Milk/cheese (I grew up in WI. I'm picky)

Low
    clothes
    most food is generic brand
    wine (mmm 3 Buck Chuck)
    shoes
    purses
    furniture (yay IKEA!)
  • Options
    High:
    Tequila

Low:
    mixers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-playhighlow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d3bd5ec8-e20b-4df8-8125-ba95da7ae568Post:53e47467-2ec0-4ad2-96e3-5e3d7c4ad5af">Re: Lets play...high/low...</a>:
    [QUOTE]High: Tequila Low: mixers
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

<div>Well, my friend, what are you doing tonight?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-playhighlow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d3bd5ec8-e20b-4df8-8125-ba95da7ae568Post:53e47467-2ec0-4ad2-96e3-5e3d7c4ad5af">Re: Lets play...high/low...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>High: Tequila</strong> Low: mixers
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

YYEEEESSSSSSS. I expect drunk texts. :p
  • Options
    High:
    Clothes
    Purses
    Gifts for others
    Travel (we'll stay in cheaper hotels, but spend an activities)
    Hair Care (only John Frieda so not super expensive, but not the cheaper stuff I could use to save money)
    Things for the cats

Low:
    Groceries (I hate hate hate having to spend money on food unless it's dining out)
    Shoes
    Make-up (drugstore brands are fine w/ me)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I always spend more money on quality food. Also makeup, if I ever buy makeup its always expensive. Sometimes clothes, but not so much.
    :3
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-playhighlow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d3bd5ec8-e20b-4df8-8125-ba95da7ae568Post:05a95be2-04f2-49b8-8f55-331d511faf2c">Re: Lets play...high/low...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets play...high/low... : We don't have pets...is there a big different between the 'good stuff' and the cheap stuff?

<div>Huge.  We buy blue buffalo.</div><div>
    </div><div>I think if I had a million dollars I would still be cheap.  I'm just not a spendy person.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards