Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Official Logos?

So I was trying to arrange getting my groom a Steelers groom cake, with a Steelers symbol on top and some cool yellow and black stripes, and then maybe like a second tier with a football field wrapped around or something. This cake baker is telling me that I have to pay the NFL to use there logo? Has anyone else heard of this? I have seen people using professional sports logos on cakes, even in the grooms cakes photos on the knot. I'm just frustrated.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Official Logos?

• utegogglesutegoggles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's silly, IMO. Can you tell her to leave it blank there and you can find a cake topper instead? Or edit the logo using a tad bit of different colors? 

ETA: OR change the circle around the logo to a wedding ring?
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Check with other professional bakers.  Of course there are royalties to be paid for that stuff, but I'm not buying that you have to write a check to the NFL if you want a Stellers logo on your cake.  The royalty would be paid by the company who manufactures what is used.  Are you wanting her to free-hand something?  That could be a different story.

http://sugarcraft.com/

Go to Sugarcraft's website and look for "football edible pictures", you should be able to get a Steelers logo.
  • edited December 2011
    I talked with a second baker, and she said that its no problem. She is not replicating the logo entirely, and because its her own artistic arm providing it, there are no royalties, I don't know what the other baker was talking about.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • utegogglesutegoggles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad it's all figured out!
  • sparent2010sparent2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad you figured it out, but the Steeler's logo and any copyrighted logo is illegal to replicate without a license. That's why it is trademarked in the first place. To replicate the logo according to NFL.biz is 100,000 a year- this is a minimum to replicate logos of NFL teams. People copy logos all the time to sell cheaper merchandise. 

Sure this is a cake, but it doesn't change trademark regulations. Obviously chances of someone seeing the cake and reporting it are slim to none, and I am assuming the baker is going to make it in the likeness of the Steeler's logo and not an exact copy. 

Think of it like how when movies portray military uniforms they are required to have at least 3 differences between real US uniforms and movie uniforms. These movie uniforms are almost the real thing. Just change a few small things then you can't be bit on the ass with this one. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    PP is correct.  Just adding in that the logos from Sugarcraft are licensed and the manufacturer has paid the royalties to produce them. 
  • sparent2010sparent2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_official-logos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:19889aff-b126-489d-81a7-1dcaf08eddc6Post:10a00e9e-6748-46b5-8b0a-f169bdae24c1">Re: Official Logos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]PP is correct. <strong> Just adding in that the logos from Sugarcraft are licensed and the manufacturer has paid the royalties to produce them.</strong> 
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]

<div>True fact ^ </div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards