Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How much does a wedding cake cost?

So, I'm not quite at the stage where I meet with cake vendors yet - but I was curious what the average wedding cake costs.  Our head count is 130 people, and we are going for a traditional cake - nothing too outlandish (probably just buttercream, 3 tier, round cake).  I know cake prices are pretty variable - but I'm just looking for a ball-park figure of what you all think is a reasonable amount to spend on cake!  Thanks so much!!

Re: How much does a wedding cake cost?

• edited December 2011
    I would try asking this on your local board.  You'll get a better idea of how much cakes cost in your area and it can vary a lot by region.

That said, typically bakers quote wedding cake prices in cost per slice.  We looked at cakes taround Chicago hat ranged from $2.00 to $3.50 per slice.  It can definitely cost a lot more if you want exotic flavors or elaborate decorations. 
  • ktworkmanktworkman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a small  two tiered small cake for about 45 people at $6/slice then a sheet cake for 100 people for about $200.  A sheet cake helps keep costs down and guests will have no idea.
  • edited December 2011
    Yep. Definitely go to your local. I spent 230$ for a 2 tier cake for 50 people in Hawaii.
  • edited December 2011
    We're spending $7/slice on a 4-tier hand-pieced fondant mosaic covered cake with custard and ganache fillings for 130 people, plus cutting fee.  It depends completely on what you want and where you are.  My cake will be highly customized, but I've read about other people spending $300 on a Costco cake to serve just as many people.  Ask your local.
  • teachermegsteachermegs member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

It really depends on your area. Ours is about 5 dollars a person.

• edited December 2011
    Yeah, it really depends.  Mine is $175 for 75 people plus a top tier to save, but we're getting married in a very rural area so everything seems to be a lot cheaper.
  • edited December 2011
    ours was four dollars, but it is a bavarian cake!
  • edited December 2011
    Industry average is $5.60 per person for a fondant covered cake. But every bakery will be different.
  • mstar284mstar284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are serving for 100 people. The cake will be three tiered and it's $4.95 per slice.

There were different price options depending on the type of cake. Buttercream and mousse filling is what we are doing. The cheapest was $4.50 for the Italian Butter Cream. The most expensive was $5.95 for mousse filling and fondant.

The breakdown was as follows just so you have an idea:

Butter cream and mousse (any flavor) filling $4.95 X 100 people--$495
    Columns for flowers--$15
    Design from dress piping--$35
    Tax--$32.70
    Delivery (which we won't have to pay because we booked early)--$45

So the total minus the delivery charge was $577.70

We had to send in a $100 dollar deposit and a separate check for $150 for the cake stand, but the check is returned when the cake stand is...so we don't have to pay that.

Photobucket

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards