Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Booked the caterer! Hows this menu sound?

Alrighty. 115 people, finger foods, daytime reception

Roasted red pepper, spinach, feta and artichoke dip with pita bread
Bacon and blue cheese stuffed cherry tomatoes
Italian sausage stuffed mushrooms
Peppercorn crusted beef roast with rolls
Fruit, veggie, and artisan cheese tray with dried fruits and local jam
Smoked salmon with usual condiments and bagel chips
Mashed potato bar with usual potato toppings jalapeno butter and crawfish and crab cream sauce and beef mushroom burgundy gravy.

For drinks we will have 
ginger mint lemonade
jungle "punch" 
pabst blue ribbon
wine/cava

Any suggestions? I actually feel like I may not have "enough" veggie options...should I add some form of salad?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Booked the caterer! Hows this menu sound?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds lovely for a daytime wedding!  The only thing I'd rethink is the smoked salmon.  Maybe it's just my circle of friends/family, but it always seems to go practically untouched.   But if you think it'll be a hit with your crowd, then go for it. =)  (I'd suggest shrimp remoulade instead if you decide to switch it up). 

ETA: And specifically to your concern about salad, you could either add a salad or add  asparagus spears wrapped in prosciutto or something?  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm hoping the salmon will go over well...its one of myself and FI's favorites (I'll only eat it smoked) do you think one smoked and one sashimi style would be better?
    And I'm thinking salad would be awesome but I am unclear on how I would serve it so it would still be "finger food" 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Could you serve small portions in cups with mini forks?

I'd probably do another veggie option, or make one of your options that's more substantial meatless, such as the stuffed mushrooms.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the girls. I would throw in a small salad to give another veggie option. Another thing would be (like mentioned above) is to cut the salmon, unless you know you will have lots of salmon lovers. Also add some more toppings to the mashed potato bar. Like: Bacon crumbles, sour cream, green onions, assorted shredded cheeses, chives, chili, mushrooms (sauteed), celery, carrots,  
    tomatoes, olives, avocado slices or chunks, broccoli. HTH! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the smoked salmon. From my experience, it never comes out "right" everytime and could be too heavy for daytime. I would go with a halibut or talapia myself.

Also, a salad option is a great idea. I would do a simple ceaser or mixed greens.

Other than that, the food sounds yummy. You're making me want mashed potatoes
  • Options
    sarabellamsarabellam member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    For my tastes, the smoked salmon would be a much better (and MUCH lighter) option than the mashed potatoes. It doesn't get much heavier than mashed potatoes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_booked-caterer-hows-this-menu-sound?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:869aba59-033e-4241-8ce3-c72d1334d879Post:f31f7914-ad84-4533-b941-46b9ddcd76c1">Re: Booked the caterer! Hows this menu sound?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Could you serve small portions in cups with mini forks? I'd probably do another veggie option, or make one of your options that's more substantial meatless, such as the stuffed mushrooms.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree about the veggie options and was thinking about making some stuffed mushrooms with vegetarian stuffing, too.  Maybe you could also have some vegetarian-stuffed cherry tomatoes with cheese or something.  </div><div>
    </div><div>The smoked salmon would go over very well in my crowd, my two cents about that.  </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    you could do basil, cherry tomato and bocconcini on toothpicks, kind of a finger food salad!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love smoked salmon... I say go for it.  I wouldn't add sashimi salmon, because people that don't like smoked likely don't like sashimi either.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_booked-caterer-hows-this-menu-sound?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:869aba59-033e-4241-8ce3-c72d1334d879Post:59cde72b-9507-4bd5-9189-3269e4f6abea">Re: Booked the caterer! Hows this menu sound?</a>:
    [QUOTE]you could do basil, cherry tomato and bocconcini on toothpicks, kind of a finger food salad!
    Posted by Meggiemuggins[/QUOTE]

<div>That's a great idea.  We had caprese salad skewers at our cocktail hour, and they were delicious.  </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_booked-caterer-hows-this-menu-sound?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:869aba59-033e-4241-8ce3-c72d1334d879Post:4fdc976d-68f3-48a5-ad0e-49601389764d">Booked the caterer! Hows this menu sound?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Alrighty. 115 people, finger foods, daytime reception Roasted red pepper, spinach, feta and artichoke dip with pita bread Bacon and blue cheese stuffed cherry tomatoes Italian sausage stuffed mushrooms Peppercorn crusted beef roast with rolls Fruit, veggie, and artisan cheese tray with dried fruits and local jam Smoked salmon with usual condiments and bagel chips Mashed potato bar with usual potato toppings jalapeno butter and crawfish and crab cream sauce and beef mushroom burgundy gravy. For drinks we will have  ginger mint lemonade jungle "punch"  pabst blue ribbon wine/cava Any suggestions? I actually feel like I may not have "enough" veggie options...should I add some form of salad?
    Posted by emilyandjoeygetmarried[/QUOTE]

I love this cake style it's((awsome))the food sounds good to!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    gmnidrmgmnidrm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It all sounds wonderful and now I'm hungary :) I would love to know how you make the ginger mint lemonade though??????
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards