Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake!

I would love to have red velvet cake for my wedding cake! And since it is going to be a fall wedding and my colors are red, orange and chocolate it kind of fits well, but my fiance says " Sure if there is chocolate icing." Ummm?!? I am not sure that I would like that so much. But he love chocolate and I want him to be happy too. Any suggestions?

Re: Cake!

• annmarie714annmarie714 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The good thing about red velvet cake is it's cocoa base (chocolate!) so it can take the place of the traditional chocolate cake.  If he wants chocolate icing, see if he's willing to compromise with another flavor & chocolate filling.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of chocolate cake & chocolate icing, so as a guest, I'd prefer the option of one or the other.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • edited December 2011
    I just can't fathom red velvet cake with anything other than cream cheese icing; isn't it sort of a package deal? 

I'd serve the red velvet cake and get a chocolate groom's cake.  Or alternate between layers of chocolate and red velvet cake with the same icing on both.  
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011

I'd go with two different flavored tiers.  I am a diehard chocoholic and I do not get the attraction to red velvet cake.  If you love it go for it, but I would at least get some real chocolate cake in another tier.  Red velvet doesn't even taste like chocolate since it has such a tiny amount of cocoa in it.

Red velvet with chocolate frosting doesn't sound very good but what if you had red velvet layers, chocolate layers and cream cheese frosting on the whole thing.  I've never met a cake that wasn't greatly enhanced by cream cheese frosting.

• FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:9b6eb07e-65b6-4c71-a30a-0c5ea4516203Post:2b10284e-78a4-46e6-af40-6bb4e4b2d0ec">Re: Cake!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just can't fathom red velvet cake with anything other than cream cheese icing; isn't it sort of a package deal?  I'd serve the red velvet cake and get a chocolate groom's cake.  Or alternate between layers of chocolate and red velvet cake with the same icing on both.  
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.

I'd be so disappointed if the red velvet cake had anything but cream cheese frosting!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto PP about redvelvet needing cream cheese frosting. I know we are having 2 different types of cakes for the different tiers of our wedding cake. With different fillings.

I am also surprising FI with a grooms cake at the rehearsal dinner. Maybe you can get him his chocolate/chocolate fix at the RD.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • edited December 2011
    I know cream cheese frosting just belongs with red velvet cake, but there's no harm in TRYING it with chocolate at the tasting. Or try mixing the cream cheese frosting with chocolate and see what happens. Who knows, you might surprise yourself. And if you like it, some of your guests will as well. Everyone's tastes are different and I tend to appreciate when people take a traditional flavor and mix it with something other than what it's "supposed" to have (example: my all time favorite flavor combo is chocolate and pineapple). It doesn't matter what you get, not all of your guests are going to like it, so get what you like and the guests will deal with it.
  • IhearttoddyIhearttoddy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the cream cheese frosting going with the red velvet cake. But I kind of like the Idea of Adding chocolate to it that might work! Also I am just thinking about the cake cutting/ feeding thing...that will probably be the ONLY time eat of the night I eat cake so I want it to be what I want! SELFISH I know, but I rarely eat sweets amd I don't think this will be any different. He however will probably sit down and eat cake so he can eat cake from a different tier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards