Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Ice Cream Wedding Cake?

So I love ice cream!  My fiance and I are not the biggest fans of cake.  Does anyone know if it's possible to do an ice cream cake?  I would love for it to still look traditional but I dont know how it would keep cold or if this is even possible.  And is this a tacky idea?

Re: Ice Cream Wedding Cake?

• Yes...the best ones come from a creamery.
  • I love the idea! Not tacky at all.  Here's what I suggest: I'd do a fake "show" cake with a small tier of real cake for the cutting.  Then have your venue's coordinator take the cake to the kitchen after the cutting and have the servers come out with the ice cream cake on plates pre-sliced in the kitchen. 
  • My friend's wedding was in Florida. She served ice cream cake, along with a chocolate covered strawberry. It was a nice change.
  • Something to think about is that not every creamery will have someone talented enough to decorate a wedding cake. See if a baker will deco a fake one, then have sheets of ice cream cake in the back. Also, an ice cream store may not deliver, so think about having someone pick them up (they are frozen, so maybe the night before if venue has room in freezer). Otherwise you would have to store cake in walk-in freezer until right before serving, and then it seems like all of the decoration (and money spent on deco) would be a waste since they would not have time to be appreciated.
  • I love that idea!  I'm definitely going to have to try and go this route.  I don't think its tacky at all.  I'm thinking I will try to have both an ice cream cake and a traditional cake so my guests have options.
  • Thanks everyone for the ideas.  I think what we might to is get a smaller regular cake that is two tiers.  Right before the cake cutting we would bring out the ice cream cake that is decorated just as the regular one and place it on the ice cream cake so that it looks like a normal cake.  We would then be able to serve both of them and cut the normal cake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards