Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Strolling Reception Menu

Hi all-
I am planning my June 2103 wedding/reception and I have pretty much decided on a "Strolling Reception with Chairs".  We are getting married at a farm in Maryland and expecting about 150 people.  The reception will be from 3pm-7pm (tentatively). I am struggling with the menu and could use some feedback, here is what I have put together so far...

Station #1
Cheese and Crackers
Fruit
Veggies
Hummus

Station #2
Bruchetta
Meat Skewers (chicken and beef)
Olives

Station #3
Slider Bar (Pork BBQ, Hamburger, and Chicken)
Pasta Salad
Cole Slaw

Station #4
DESSERTS!! (homemade pies, cupcakes, candy etc)

Any other ideas/feedback would be fantastic.  Keep in mind we are on a VERY TIGHT budget.

Thanks in advance!!

Re: Strolling Reception Menu

• I think you should do a little more food, since your wedding will be over a meal time.  Could you add something like risotto (even risotto cakes) to station #2?  We had caprese skewers (tomato, mozzarella, and basil) at our cocktail hour--that would be easy to add to station #1 for a little more variety.  

I also don't think you have enough for vegetarians or vegans.  Could you add a veggie slider, either black bean burger or portabella mushroom?
  • I would add a fish (mahi is good for sliders)  and a vegetarian option like black bean, portobella mushroom or veggie burger.   Maybe get rid of one of the meat options if you think there is too many (I don't think there are too much).+

Also I would add another app type option. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • The olives seem random to me.  I'd go with the risotto or some type of starch with the station number 2.  
  • Agree with PPs.  Your menu seems a little light for a reception that spans meal time.  I love the ideas of adding risotto to one of the stations and building out your burger selections to include at least a vegetarian option.  I'd also consider adding another, entree-type station - maybe a pasta station?

Do you know if any of your guests have a gluten allergy or Celiac's disease? There are a lot of options on here that have or could have gluten in them or could easily become cross-contaminated.  If you have guests with this dietary restriction, you might want to rethink staging so that at least one stopping point is gluten free.
    Anniversary

• I'd add a pasta station.   It's easily customizable for vegetarians and meat lovers alike and one of the cheapest things that you can offer that's still really filling.
  • How about a Mac and Cheese  station. You could have sides of bacon, onions, ham, or crab. It would be a good pasta station.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards