Getting in Shape
Options

Running Rut

I've been going running lately.  And I can't seem to run 2 miles straight, which is my current goal.  I run about a mile, then I have to stop, walk for a minute and then after that I have to stop about every 1/4 to 1/2 mile.I can't seem to learn to pace myself.

Re: Running Rut

• Options
    Have you ever tried the "Couch to 5k" program?  It is a really great way to work up to running 2 straight miles and then 3.  If you google "couch to 5K" you should come across the program.
  • Options
    Slow down and warm up. Don't count your first 2 minutes in your "mile run" that way you can focus on breathing, form and movement without feeling like you're wasting time. Make sure your foot is falling right behind the ball and that you are using your arms. Running is only partially leg based- trust me. I learned that the hard way. It tires you out a lot when you don't use your arms. Think terminator...also, don't clench your fists. Loosen up. I've been running for a long time now and that's what I feel helps. Also, try inserting your walk break on purpose. Do it at the ten minute point; not the point when you are tired. If you can't tell, I love running :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.  I feel like I should be able to do this.  I ran cross country for two years in high school, so I know I have the ability to do this... I just don't know why I can't at this point.
  • Options
    I usually eat lunch around noon  and I have a PBJ on multigrain bread and some grapefruit... and then I go running right after my classes at 4pm. 
  • Options
    I agree with pp, you are probably going too fast in the beginning.  Try to run so that you take about 1 breath per 5 steps (left, right, left, right, left).  Aim to have negative splits- the second half of your run should be faster than the first half.  I know it's hard, it took me forever to learn to do that, but trust me you will be amazed how far you can go when you slow down!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards