Getting in Shape

I can't lose weight!!!! (long/help/vent)

Re: I can't lose weight!!!! (long/help/vent)

• CathyPsyDCathyPsyD member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    My fiance and I started Jenny Craig back in early November and it's been working well for us.  I've lost about 40 pounds so far and he's lost over 30.  Doing it together and going once a week to meet in person with our counselor has helped us both stay on track.  I think we needed both the structure and the accountability of knowing we would be weighed in each week.  Also, with our super busy work and wedding planning schedules, having their food for meals and snacks was a time saver.  We only have to shop for fruit, yogurt, salad stuff, veggies, nuts, etc. to supplement their meals and snacks.  It's been a no-brainer for us.  Even if you don't do something like Jenny Craig, I would figure out a way to have both support and accountability.  If the girls in your wedding party lost weight, they may be good sources of support for you to do the same, rather than being sources of competition.  I'm sure you're still smokin' hot at size 10 (which is not big at all), but there is the necessity of fitting into the dress I'm sure you paid a lot of money for.  Whatever you do, make sure the weight loss is through healthy means (nutritious food and excercise) and not something unhealthy like starving yourself or taking dangerous pills.  Best of luck to you.
  • Ditto damaless - I began tracking my calories (every bite I ate) and saw major results over when I was just trying to keep up with it in my head. It certainly helps because I never feel starved at the end of the day and never feel like I'm "going without." Sure, it's a slight bummer to skip on baked goods and donuts at work, or restrain yourself to one beer/glass of wine instead of several drinks. But, if you know how many calories you're eating, you can plan for treats. For me that's an occasional steak, occasional alcohol, and dessert (try the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches and bars if you love ice cream). I also let myself have a bag of 100 calorie "oreos" every work day with lunch too which helps calm my sweet tooth.

I've also found that since I started tracking my calories I am more motivated than ever to work out, because I know exactly what I need to do to get to that calorie deficit and lose weight. I use Sparkpeople for all my tracking which is a free website. They will give you guidelines on how much to eat and work out based on how much you want to lose and your goal date. GOOD LUCK! You will be beautiful! :)
  • A few ideas for you.

1) Try not to compare yourself to the others because that's not fair to any of you. You need to measure yourself by your standards.
     2) If they just lost all this weight, ask for their help. Maybe they can work out with you or give you some other tips.
     3) Don't weigh in every day. Our body fluctuates with our hormones so we'll weigh differently every day. Pick one day, same day every week, around the same time and weigh in. 
     4) Don't deny yourself some yummy stuff, but keep it in portions.
     5) Cut yourself some slack. Losing weight is hard! I just lost 40 pounds over the last 19 months so I know. Plus, I need to maintain it for another 10 months until my wedding.
     BEST OF LUCK & I hope these helped.
  • I have lost 20 lbs on Weight Watchers. With all the activity you are doing, you may be eating too little and that is why you are gettin killer cravings. WW helps you watch portions and make healthy choices without depriving yourself.
  • I understand this feeling!  I have always been able to control my weight and lose a pound or 2 when i needed to!  I lost my job at the beginning of 2009, went through some health problems and seemed to gain 20 pounds that won't go away no matter what I do.  My wedding is in 2 and a half months and I have to lose 10 pounds or my dress WON'T fit.  I'm like you, I can never resist a free donut, french fires with my meal, or going out with friends for some drinks.  However I have found something that has helped, I joined weight watchers a few weeks ago and I really like it.  Basically I can still go out to restaurants, have some wine, eat a donut I just track it and eat less of it!  Also, if you know you have a fun friday evening out with friends, you can save up points throughout the week and use them on the weekend for a splurge.  Also, paying money for a service (it's not expensive) has made me take it more seriously.  I also have a lot of support from the finance even though it annoys me at times when he asked how many points something is!  Stress can cause you to hold on to excess fat, and nothing causes more stress then planning a wedding!  

Also, most of my friends are too attractive, that's why I've asked complete strangers to be in my wedding party!! Kidding, hang in there, you will be so happy on your big day you won't even be thinking about weight!  Plus, everyone will be telling YOU how beautiful you are, not your ladies!
  • You can do it!!! It's one day at a time. Here's some of my tips:

Before grabbing a muffin at the office ask yourself "Am I really hungry?" It seems silly, but it makes me think twice before scarfing. If you know you are stress eating, take a 5 minute walk and drink a cup of water instead.

Keep a daily food log. Be it in a journal before I go to sleep, or on websites like www.dailyburn.com it makes me accountable to myself.

I bring my lunches for the entire week into work on Monday, so there's no excuses. I store cereal and can soups in my file drawers lol. 

While I know everyone wants to hear that there's some secret trick, the truth is its a constant conscious effort. I've kept 30 lbs off for nearly 7 years and everyday I still wake up and want to eat chocolate cake for breakfast Tongue out 

• When you run every day, your appetite increases. You're scarfing down food because your body is legitimately hungry. Instead, try walking instead of running and doing more yoga and pilates than weight lifting. Also, water. Water. Water. Water. I carry around a mason jar with lemon water all day. Water is the key to weight loss. I needed to drop weight before my dress fitting and lost several pounds in a week paying attention to these rules.

Good luck, girl. The only motivation that will work for you will be internal. Now go kick some ass.
  • Not that this is going to be that much different than the other great advice from the other ladies on the message string, but I thought I'd chip in since this has often been an issue for me as well.

I very much agree with the idea of finding things that get you up and moving that you really LIKE to do!  There are lots of great exercises and routines out there, but the super popular ones just don't work for all of us the same way.  If you find things you like, you'll be able to look forward to that Saturday hike, dip in the pool, half hour of yoga-- whatever-- and it won't be a chore on your check list so you'll be so much more likely to do it regularily.

Also, calorie counting can be tricky, in my experience, becuase if I start cutting too many things too quickly, I too am sneaking off to get more food (which is never as healthy as it should be) just because my body hasn't been trained to run on that amount and that kind of energy.  I say, make it a gradual progression with the food stuff-- and pick that one chocolatey thing that you can have just a little of to satisfy your sweet tooth and help with the withdrawl (I'm a total chocoholic and ice cream junkie, I feel your pain!)

Last thing, (sorry for the length), is to get the people around you to be encouraging and help hold you accountable.  Get people to do this stuff with you, and let them know what you're hoping for so that the people nearest and dearest know how to be the best supports and cheering section-- because they're the ones whose help will mean the most.

YOU CAN DO IT!  And just remember, you make the dress look beautiful, not the other way around! ;-) Best wishes, ladies!
  • I'm plateaued myself right now with my weight loss, but I have lost almost 30lbs on the Food Lovers Fat Loss System.  It completely makes you rethink how to put a plate of food together, without having to give up anything, it also comes with some awesome recipies.

Some of the tips they give you are:

1. no more refined sugar, use turbinado, agave nectar, or cain sugar.
    2. eat whole grains.
    3. snack between meals, but keep your snacks around 100 calories.
    4. eat within half an hour of waking up, every 2-3 hours during the day, and eat at least 1 to 2 hours before going to bed.
    5. make sure you are getting enough sleep.
    6. exercise 3 times a week (this can be as simple as a 15 minute walk).

I know you're thinking this is crazy, but when you aren't eating right, your body goes into fat storing mode and makes it harder to lose weight.  So when you start to feel that little nagging peck in your stomach saying  you are hungry, don't ignore it, just don't over feed it.

You can do it!  We all can.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hiya,

have you thought of trying weightwatchers? sometimes the thought of going to be weighed by someone else is what is needed to stop you from "cheating". Also, nothing's banned in weightwatchers so you don't need to sneak off to buy doughnuts etc - if you want one, you just factor it into your points. I lost 3 1/2 stone with it and it really is the way forward.

good luck!
  • azekoazeko member
    First Comment
    Hey - Just wanted to wish you luck on you weight loss.  I try to bring my own healthy snacks & things I love to eat to work to munch on...like fresh stawberries, blueberries, nuts.  And, i will have some dark chocolate dove promises :)  Also, I try to stay away from drinks what contain a lot of sugar & try to drink more water than anything.  If you love chocolate ice cream, maybe try frozen yogurt, just enough to satisfy your temporary cravings. 

I read a great quote in woman's health & it said it's a lot easier to cut 500 calories out of your diet than to spend an hour at the gym trying to burn it off- & it is so true  Try chosing healthier alternatives that are low in sugar, since sugar slows down your metabolism.

For exercise - maybe try working out with your friends sometimes that makes you push yourself harder..."if they can do it, I can do it" - type attitude!  Also it maybe fun to try something different like pole dancing class, great for your core & you can feel sexy doing it! 

Sorry for the lengthy response...just wanted to give you some options.  Whatever you decide to do you will look smokin HOT for your wedding!  Best of luck to you!
  • Hey ladies! As i was reading this tread I  was thinking abut sparkpeople.com, or the book 'the spark' and I finally got down to the last post and someone had mentioned it...woohoo! I've been on spark for about two years now, after struggling with my weight for most of my life, I lost 40lbs, within the first few months and really have turned my life around...BUT I have noticed my self doing a bit of "emotional eating" since I've been engaged and am trying to pull off a weddin for 400+ people, on a smallish budget in 6 months. So afte reading these posts it made me realize what I was doing, that I wasn"t the only one doing it, and that I can get back on track! I think with all the gorgeous summer weather, I need to get outside and start hiking again... even just for an hour a day, what rough terrain hike does for your core is amazing, and the atmosphere can be such a wonderful destressor!  Thanks so much girls! I'm going to go log into sparkpeople right now... We can do this!
  • All the advice so far on here is fantastic! I would highlight that doing intervals of running, jogging, and walking on a treadmill, bike, or elliptical is great for losing weight. For instance, start with a minute of walking, then do 20-30 seconds of a fast paced jog or sprint. Then back to walking. Start out doing this for about 20 minutes (or more if you have decent endurance) and then do weight training/body weight training if you want to tone other stuff. I have a chronic back injury, so I focus a lot on my arms and core (abs). You can even do half your cardio and then abs, then the rest of cardio, then more abs. This back and forth keeps you from getting too bored, but it also keeps your heart rate moving which is great for losing weight. (My fiance recently got certified as a personal trainer and when I asked, he suggested this and I've definitely seen results using this method). I do this while watching a tv show or movie. The movies are great because I usually get through a third of it in a workout, and I don't let myself watch it unless I'm exercising - so that's motivation for the next day! 
    Mix this up with other types of exercise (like a lot of people said you want to do something you enjoy at least some of the time you're working out). 
    As for the food, try to fill up on healthier food that'll give you energy and then satisfy cravings with just a small portion of something yummy. Also, cutting soda down/out can make a HUGE difference. I've gotten on a vitamin water kick (Focus flavor is fantastic)! 
    No matter what you'll look gorgeous and radiant on your big day! 
  • have you ever heard of the hcg diet? i lost 14 lbs in 12 days. you can do the diet for up to 2 months i believe, but basically you lose a lb a day. i couldn't handle it after 2 weeks, but that might help you get a little bit of a jump start. ignore the bad press about the diet, i'm no longer diabetic, and cholesterol levels went down too. good luck!
  • Music. I must have my ipod with some good music!
  • Its so possible to do...

I lost almost 10 lbs in about a month. I started by only drinking water, cutting my calories by atleast 500 per day and adding more fruits and vegetables in my diet. Every so often I'll drink glass of juice but thats about once a week.

I also try to do some sort of cardio 4-5 times per week for atleast 45 minutes. My fiance loves basketball so he has me do his basketball drills with him. Those are amazing and something fun for us to do together.

We've also joined an amateur soccer league. Its only once a week but I feel so much more fit. And its so much fun!

Moral of the story:fun fun fun! It won't feel like a chore or stress if you're having a good time doing it.
  • hey rbtrumpet!

my big day is coming up in 3 weeks, and i haven't lost any weight at all.  my BM's are smokin', and my MOH (sister) is a teensy tiny thing.  i've been working out like crazy, and haven't lost any weight......does this sound familiar? ;)

my advice to you is this: STOP stressing about it!  you bought your dress because you looked like a million bucks in it, right?  if so, then it's probably very figure flattering.....afterall, it's about how you look in it.  you're not going to have a sign around your neck that tells everyone how much you weigh....

as far as the working out goes, try to measure yourself.  like i said, i haven't lost any weight, but i HAVE lost inches.  you probably have too....muscle weighs more than fat, and if you're lifting, you can't expect to lose too much weight.  you sounds like me, where, if i deprive myself of all yummy things, i just end up wanting them more and totally undoing all the dieting so far.  try to indulge some of the cravings with 100 calorie packs, etc. so you don't feel like you are totally deprived. 

good luck, i know you'll look killer :) 
  • I went and did my second dress fitting (to get my alternations measured) just two nights ago. My dress is to snug in the hips. I had a feeling based on the last appt a few months ago that I would need to lose some weight in order for it to look good, but thought maybe Spanx would do the trick. I'm a size 6 and not overweight, but my body shape is narrow in the waist and fuller in the hips...

Guess what...it didn't fit, even with the Spanx. I decided right then and there to get my ass in gear. I went to GNC, bought the "Lean Shake" system and and going to work my butt off (literally). My wedding is 64 days away.

You are working so hard at the gym and not getting results because of your food habits. You will not lose weight without controlling both. The only person who can help you is YOU! Bring healthy food to work with you (stuff you like), and when you see those donuts and muffins think about your dress...how beautiful it is and how badly you want it to fit. Tough love yourself. I work with people who eat like crap and bring McDonalds and Burger King in for lunch...it smells amazing and I am tempted...plus I really like to eat out with my fiance a couple times a week... but seriously, it is not worth those tasty fattening morsels. The BEST reward will be seeing how amazing I look in my dress.

Tape a picture of your dress to your computer at work, or somewhere you will see it daily. You will rethink what you put in your mouth.
  • No one EVER looks better than the bride, ever :)
  • juacvdojuacvdo member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I am having the same problem.  I need to lose 30 lbs by May of next year.  I had a little trouble motivating myself to even get started.  What really kicked me into gear was the day I went wedding dress shopping about 4 weeks ago.  Just wanted to try on some gowns to see what I like.  I brought a friend who took pictures of me so that I could refer back to them.  OMG!  When I saw what I look like to the world, I almost lost it.  Worst feeling ever!  But it rurely did the trick!  I've lost 8 lbs in the last month and this is what I changed about my lifestyle:

(1) I write down EVERYTHING I eat.  I keep a journal and log everything I eat.  You'd be surprised how many calories you consume in one day.

(2) I count my calories (which is why I have the journal).  I stay within an acceptable range for my height and age.  On the days I don't work out, I stay closer to the lower end.  On the days I hit the gym, I allow myself the extra 100 calories or so.

(3) I don't have foods that are "off limits."  With counting calories, I can eat anything I want.  I just know that I have to stay within my calorie range.  You'll quickly learn that eating a big salad is WAY more better than eating a pint of ice cream.  I would rather be able to have more meals throughout the day than just a pint of ice cream.  Healthier foods tend to have lower calories; so I can eat an entire bowl of veggies (and feel completely full) and still have enough calories left over to eat an extra fruit or two if I get the munchies at night.

(4) I eat 6 small meals a day.  I feel like I'm eating all-day-long!  I snack on healthy foods like fruits and veggies all day.  And I drink 6-9 cups of water to help keep me full.  When you're eating this often and drinking water, you really don't get the hunger pains from crazy/extreme dieting.  And since you're eating so often, the office snacks are not as tempting anymore.  I feel full all the time, so I rarely crave the office snacks.

(5) I exercise 4 to 5 days a week.  I do a mixture of cardio and weight training; it helps me to not get bored.  I play my favorite tunes on my iPod to make my runs or walks more enjoyable.

You can definitely do this!!  You can lose the weight!!  It's not easy, but if you put in the time and the effort, you will see results!  Good Luck!! 
  • Just watch what you eat and you will be fine. I know you will look beautiful regardless.
    Good Luck :)
    BrigitteS
  • Sorry to hear you're feeling so overwhelmed.. it's a crappy feeling! I'm in the same boat. I work out, I KNOW I am capable of losing the weight, yet I'm just not seeing any results and I KNOW it is because of my diet. And I'm like you, I'm not *huge*, I just am normally 10-15lbs lighter than I am and there is no excuse!

What has really worked for me though.. is Jillian Michaels DVDs. There is the 30 Day Shred which is truly AMAZING, and the Blast Fat Boost Metabolisim cardio video. They're cheap, I picked mine up from the drugstore for around $13 each. You should give them a go.. they are seriously great. After only a few weeks doing them, I already noticed my arms and shoulders being way more toned, and my calves looked incredible :) And don't worry about your bridesmaids.. nobody will be looking at them anyway :p Good luck!
  • Ok here is a trick that might help, a friend recommended this in April and I have lost 9 pounds and have not been losing a lot, but enough and I have kept it off.

You need some friends to do it with but here are the requirements:

1. Set a goal weight and date by which you will meet that goal (I set something very resonable and when I reach that goal, I set another, so by July 28th I have to lose 2.4 more pounds). 

2. Pick a weigh in day, that day take a picture of your scale and send it to your friends.

3. Pick a weight loss plan (mine is shut up and just lose the weight, my friends is not eating when she is not hungry).

4. Failure payment.  If we dont reach our goals by the goal date, we owe each other $50 gift cards.

Anyway, I was suprised it worked for me, but it kept me accountable and I had support from friends.  Luckily, I have not missed a goal.  My first goal was to lose 6 pounds and I did it and have kept it off, now I have an additional 3 to meet my new goal.

For what its worth!  Good luck, you really can do it!

• Jillian Michaels 30 day shred....amazing!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • it actually not be what you are or are not doing that is the issue. There could be underlying physiological explanations for the weight gain. For one you said that you went on birth control- not only is that a lot of extra estrogen that is being put into your body, but it can also affect your thyroid gland which controls your metabolism. Also stress has huge affects on weight gain. Stress and birth control can also trigger autoimmune disease, such as hashimotos, which is when you body attacks your thyroid gland. I would suggest going to the doctor and asking for all these panels:
    chem 24
    lipid panle
    cbc with differentials
    and a thyroid panel that includes tpo antibody, tsh, t4, t3u, and t3

hope that helps
  • I started ballroom and Latin dancing my first year in college, and by Thanksgiving had lost twenty pounds.  Then again, I was doing twenty to thirty hours a week of dancing, including classes and social dances that could be four hours long, but I didn't even realize about the weight except that I felt great.  It might not work for everyone, but it's certainly worth trying at least a time or two, if for no other reason than that it's enjoyable and a great workout, especially Latin dancing for cardio and calorie burning.
  • In terms of potential exercises, I highly recommend P90.  I had never bought anything I saw from an infomercial before but I got this and made both me and my fiance a believer.  It's only about 30 minutes a day and it really changes your body.
    Also, I'm a huge fan of Bar Method.  I don't know of places on the east coast, but before starting I never would have thought that 2lb weights and basic moves would be able to change my body so much!
    Good luck.
  • As most everyone else has said, no matter what size you are, you will be breathtaking on your wedding day! Your steamstress will take care of you, and if you carry yourself with confidence, no one can top that. :)

As for losing weight.. each person is different, and it can be so hard to drop those last few pounds especially. One thing that really helps is cutting simple things.. like pop (I stopped drinking all pop and lost 5lbs), and certain kinds of snacking out. However, my physician informed me that if you don't reward yourself somehow, you might binge... so, if you're really good all week, have something sweet, but lower in fat/calories.  Treat yourself, but don't overdo it. You know your habits, and more importantly, you know how to break them, you just need willpower. :)

One other thing that helped me: ankle weights. I wear them at work all day, every day. I have a desk job, but when I'm up and moving around (as much as I possibly can), I'm glad I have my weights. I started with 1lb on each, and now I wear 2.5. It doesn't feel like you are doing much, but trust me... you are.

Good luck, and remember to take a deep breath.. and take time for yourself. I try to remember that as much as I plan, the day of, things will go however they will go, and you can't control it. The day is about your unity with your FI, and it will be lovely.
  • I had the same problem about 3-4 months before the wedding, i would go to the gym and kind of workout but then i would come home and eat a bowl of ice cream haha. I have about 10 lbs hanging around from the past year or so that I'm not really happy with and my dress is a mermaid style so I knew my body would be showing, but I couldn't find the motivation to change what I was doing.

I actually was reading a post on here where someone asked what people's biggest regrets about their wedding were; some said they wish they had a different dj, different food, etc but one stood out to me so much. It was from a bride that said she regretted not getting serious about losing weight because she now looks at photos and is frustrated at herself thinking about the days she sat on the couch or ate desert  instead of going to the gym or choosing to eat fruit instead. That really hit home with me I guess because  I do not want to have that regret when I look back on my pictures and just see that I was being lazy, so maybe you can use it to motivate you too. Since then I go to the gym almost daily and if I can't find time to go I take my dog on an extra long walk. I lost about 5 lbs in 1.5 months and while I would still like to lose more, I feel proud of the work and determination I put in for just that little bit and knowing how I look won't be my regret.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Finalgirl- the best $10 I ever spent was on Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shread! I lost 7 pounds the first week.

Really, you just have to find something that works and that is right for you. Another thing that really helps me is having my FI work out with me. By working out together we can encourage and motivate each other. Plus, it adds some competiton; who can do more squats or crunchs or who can run on the treadmill longer. Having my FI there to push me that extra mile has really helped. One more tip, if you get the Jilliam Michaels 30 Day Shread, also get yourself some really good workout shoes. Ones that will absorb a lot of shock, because she has you jumping and moving around a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards