Getting in Shape

Weight Loss Question for Runners/Fitness Gurus

I see a lot of great advice on this board (I'm a semi-regular lurker, and very rare contributor), and have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you can help answer for me.  I'm a fairly competitive runner, but I struggle, and always have, with my weight.  A large part of this for me is my diet--while I eat really healthy and normal portion sizes during the week, I do eat things I should avoid on weekends (like chips and salsa, nachos, pizza, beer).  Realistically, I have 12 pounds to lose to be where I really want to be.  I have just started using the myfitnesspal app that I've seen recommended on here, so I hope that will help me really see what I'm putting in my body.

My fitness level is pretty good.  To give an idea, I'm currently doing weekend long runs at about 7:30/mi pace (at 11 miles right now), and an interval workout on the track at 10k race pace (6:46/mi).  The other days, I do easy runs around 5-6 miles (2 days), and I try to get in a short half-marathon race pace tempo run.  Then, if possible, 1 day of cross training.  Realistically, I get in 5 days of running and 1 cross training day (spinning or stair climber) on a good week, and 4 days of running and 1 cross training day on a not so good week.  I don't do weights regularly, but do pushups and situps (I used to do a lot of weights--never saw a significant difference since I'm naturally pretty muscular).

So, what gives?  If I'm tracking my calorie intake (myfitnesspal has me at 1200 per day), how much extra should I be eating to balance out the running?  My body has always been very "efficient" in that I don't seem to lose much weight when training, but I hope that intervals/speed work will be a kick to my metabolism (I don't think I lost a single pound when training for the Boston Marathon last year-but I wasn't doing any speedwork either).

Any other tips to help me lose these 12 pounds?  I know much of it will come down to what I eat--so I'm cutting out the beer, limiting (but not eliminating--that's not realistic) the weekened junk food, and not nibbling at work when there's candy/treats out.  Thanks for bearing with the long post--and I greatly appreciate any advice and tips!

Re: Weight Loss Question for Runners/Fitness Gurus

• I think you're off to a great start!  You are aware of your strengths (cardio) and your weaknesses (weight lifting, diet)- that is seriously THE HARDEST part to figure out! 

So, are you currently training for a race?  I think it would be a good start to swap a running day for a weight training day (or plyometrics- but toning will make you look leaner even if the number on the scale does not change).  Hit your major muscle groups first, but don't neglect the smaller ones too- this will help you look leaner and you'll be much more toned.

As for your diet... you kind of already know what to do.  Oh- and myfitnesspal has a tab at the top beside food where you can track your cardio & it will let you know how many calories you "earned" through exercise.

My biggest diet tip is to eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full!  Not so easy I know... instead of snacking on junk at the office, grab a piece of fruit or yogurt or nuts.  Drink a lot of water, avoid drinking sugar (concentrated fruit juice, soft drinks, venti lattes).  Bulk up on fresh or frozen fruits & veggies.  Enjoy a little treat on the weekends, but do it in moderation.

Best of luck- keep us posted!!
  • freebread03freebread03 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2012
    I am currently training for a race--a half marathon in early May (hoping to run around a 1:34 half), but I'm pretty raced out to be honest.  I could add weights twice a week-it wouldn't kill me (I just need to be more disciplined with my time).  I am doing pushups and situps--FI bet me that he could beat me in points on the FBI fitness entrance test (pushups, situps, 300m run, 1.5 mile run, and a few other things). <-- bragging rights in my house are on the line!

But yes, it's going to come down to eating, which ironically seems easier during the week since I'm fairly disciplined about packing snacks and lunch.  Goodbye nachos and beer :(

Edit: I am using the fitness tracker in myfitnesspal--but I don't believe that I really burned 522 calories on my 8:30/mi 5 mile easy run tonight...and if I really did, how much of this do I want to eat back?
  • If MFP has you at 1200, you need to eat back ALL of those.  And yes, about 100 calories per mile is average, so that seems relatively accurate.

You should not be netting less than 1200, and chances are pretty darn good that that number is too low for you too.

I feel calorie cycling might be a good choice for you.  Then you can eat more on the weekends.  Do a little googling.  There is a calorie calculator out there that will set up a 7 day cycle if you're interested. 

If you're not sure what it is--it's basically where you set an average (the calorie calculator will help you), and then you stagger your amounts to average out.  So mine is 1500.  So one day I might eat 1700, then 1200, then 1600, etc.  You can set them how you want to so you can put your higher calorie days on the days you tend to eat more. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • J&K thanks, that's helpful to hear that I should be eating all that back. I wonder if I have plateaud because I'm not eating enough and it seems like days when I'm working out that's probably happening. I'll definitely look at caloric cycling-sounds like it might be a good option for me since weekdays are easy (and sometimes I don't have time to eat more even if I wanted to--though I've always wanted to bust out with snacks during a client meeting :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards