Getting in Shape
Options

Bikram Yoga?

Has anyone done this type of yoga before?  I'm looking for some reviews before I sign up for the class!  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Bikram Yoga?

• Options
    Make sure you stay super hydrated!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I am an avid yogi (ashtanga, hatha or vinyassa style) but I bought a Groupon for Bikram because I knew our gym was going through a 2 week remodel where there would be no group classes and it was WAY cheaper than the yoga/pilates studio where I usually practice.

In comparison, I think that non-Bikram yoga truly relaxes me (and I do practice hot vinyassa regularaly) and I feel like it's more of a total body workout.  I do not feel like my arms are challenged in Bikram. 

If you are planning to practice at a Yogi Bikram endorsed studio know going into it that there are a ton of regulations that he puts on the studio.  Every class is 90 minutes long and is the same routine.  It's not like typical American yoga, you'll see no downward facing dogs.  It's insnaely hot so yes, you'll want to be well hydrated.  I believe the temperature is 103 degrees.  It's been very humid here in Chicago this summer, which makes it feel like a hellacious inferno sometimes.  Yogi Bikram enforces that each studio must have carpeting so I personally think the room has a constant smell of dirty feet. 

Personally, it's 90 minutes of torture and way too regimented for me.  I miss the free flow of my regular classes and the idea that every class is going to be different.  Some of the most challenging poses in Bikram are just not that hard for me so I miss the constant challenge of the changing positions in my other classes and the upper body work. 

Like I said, my gym is on that 2 week renovation break and I have been doing a ton of Bikram this week but I just couldn't bring myself to go tonight.  I'm going to my regular studio instead so I can feel like I get something out of it besides soaking through a beach towel.  If you are looking for a hot yoga experience, it's completely different than Bikram and I highly recommend it.  My studio keeps it 85-90 and I sweat plenty.  The heat allows you to achieve greater flexibility and really expand your range of motion in the poses.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I LOVE bikram yoga!! been doing it for about 3 years. It has helped me in many aspects of my life. Yoga in general you can't go wrong. Definetly drink water, be prepaired to sweat. dont get discouraged, it may take a little while to get used too

• Options
    I really love Bikram Yoga as well - the heat makes poses so much easier for me, and it makes the experience much more intense.

I am a beginner, though - and have very little experience with yoga. Bikram worked well for me, because since the poses are the same, I'm able to work deeper from class to class.

I agree with PP to stay hydrated - drink lots during the day before your class, and I would eat something light no less than 2 hours before as I felt sick when I went after having had dinner. 

The heat takes some adjusting to, so if you feel overwhelmed, lie down in savasana.

Bikram really helped my flexibility, and I got very out of breath at times (but as mentioned, I was a relative beginner). Unfortunately there are no hot studios in Norway that I know of, so I haven't been for years, but I would go again in a heartbeat if it was offered here.

Good luck and report back what you think!  Most studios will allow you to purchase a single class, or a week pass to try out the class so you can see how you like it before you make a bigger commitment.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards