Getting in Shape

hot yoga?

Hi ladies! Does anyone take hot yoga regularly? I'm looking for something to change up my routine. I've practiced yoga for several years off and on and am a dancer. I'm just nervous about it! I found a studio close to my apartment that is a great deal for the first month. Any tips on ways to calm my nerves/prepare? Thanks!

Re: hot yoga?

• Hot yoga is my favorite kind of yoga! One thing I will tell you is you sweat A LOT! Bring a towel with you to cover your mat, and to wipe down with, and a water bottle for sure. What exactly are you nervous about? 

I love it because the heat helps your muscles loosen up and you can get deeper into positions. I also feel like I've had a really good work out afterwards and sweated out a lot of junk in my body. As with any yoga class if something is too advanced/difficult you can just take a break its no big deal. All of the hot yoga classes I've done are definitely more "active" with lots of movement and not as much meditative. You'll feel fantastic afterwards though. 
  • I took a 30 day challenge at the Bikram (hot) yoga studio close to me.  It was amazing to really mix up my routine and have a concrete goal in mind.  Hot yoga has a lot to do with sweating out toxins, so don't sweat it (pun intended) if you can't get into the positions as much as you do in a non-hot environment.  I will say make sure you have some sort of way to get electrolytes back into your system after.  I usually had half a bottle of G2 or coconut water waiting in my car for the drive home (stays cooler there).
    Hot yoga tends to be really expensive compared with other yoga studios from what I've seen.  If you have a good deal - go for it!
  • I found that I can reach positions much easier during hot yoga. I do not like the Hatha as much as Power. Hatha is much to slow for me and I focus to much on the heat and time. Don't eat 2 hours before class and be hydrated when you enter. I have a towel to put on my yoga mat to keep me from slipping.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I love hot yoga.  I have slight scoliosis and my body limits me from fully going into some poses, but yoga is completely personal.  The last class I attended, the instructor quoted someone saying if you're focusing on getting it right, you're doing it wrong, but if you're focusing on doing what's best for you, you've achieved it.  They don't like when you look around and you don't need to feel self-conscious if you have to take child's pose or a sip of water.  

My advice is to just go for it.  Like PP's said, it's great for sweating out toxins -- specific poses are designed for certain things.  It won't be a miracle weight loss but it will tone you in places you didn't know you had muscles and you will feel like a weight is lifted off your shoulders.

Well, I actually have to leave for my hot yoga class now, so I hope you give it a try and good luck!  Towel, water, mat, and definitely wicking clothes if you have them.  You'll want to wear sleeveless if you can and I prefer to wear cropped pants not shorts because I don't like my legs being completely exposed and it doesn't keep me any cooler in shorts.
  • bblouinbblouin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I LOVE hot yoga, it really toned my body.  I moved and there is not a studio near me however. I recommend like another knottie said, no eating before and I recommend taking two tums before hand.  There is a lot of pressure on your belly and I found it helped immensely.  Plus there are calcium which is always good for you 
  • bblouin,

I see you're in Boston.  I'm originally from there and about to move back there for a few months.  Which studio did you go to?  How long did you go in order to achieve the toned results you state you received?

Thanks,
    Renee

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_hot-yoga-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:d8152b92-0001-4107-82fc-31103be8ebecPost:6ce421a1-10b1-44fa-83e9-52fc00544ee3">Re: hot yoga?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I LOVE hot yoga, it really toned my body.  I moved and there is not a studio near me however. I recommend like another knottie said, no eating before and I recommend taking two tums before hand.  There is a lot of pressure on your belly and I found it helped immensely.  Plus there are calcium which is always good for you 
    Posted by bblouin[/QUOTE]
  • Love hot yoga. I recommend not eating 2-3 hours before the class. Hydrate and just stay in the room.  It took me a year to get past the heat, but now I can go in and fall asleep, I love it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards