Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

FFF

I flame myself for having no will to get up and take my car to the shop. 

Re: FFF

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I probably shouldn't, but this really annoyed me, so I'm going to flame my little sister (I say little, she's freaking 20 yrs old), who my mom said MUST be my MOH, who is just now 8 months out deciding to think about anything wedding related. That wouldn't be so bad, except that this morning she also approached me to ask if I will be paying for the shower and the bachelorette party. Um... no. If you aren't willing to get a freaking part time job, ask mom and dad for money, like you always do. Love my sister, but she's just a little too self-obsessed sometimes.
    **Planning Bio** UPDATED! 4/9/12 Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't worry Kristan, my sister is almost 24, and has been bigger than me since she was 13, and she's still my "little" sister.

Also, that stinks.  My sister was not my MOH and my parents (and she) were fine with it.

I flame myself for sleeping in (again) and rushing this morning and having to stop for breakfast instead of making anything, and also for having zero will power to get up and go work out when it's cold outside and I have two snuggly dogs in my bed.
    Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Not a flame, but I had to share this. I'm subbing at my former high school library today, and these girls just walked in and were arguing while they were signing in. The conversation went as follows:

Girl #1: I just don't get why we're arguing!

Girl #2: I don't know either, you don't understand what I'm trying to say.

Girl #1: Well kissing isn't a sin.

Girl #2: Yeah, I know that, but... *trails off awkwardly*

Girl #1: But cheating is, and you do it all the time!

Girl #2: No I don't!

Girl #1: Yes you do! We plagiarize every paper we turn in.

Girl #2: *sees me sitting at the computer* No I don't!

Girl #1: Yes we do!

Girl #2: NO WE DON'T *looking super nervous*

Girl #1: Just because you change some of the words doesn't mean you wrote it yourself.

*girls finish signing in and walk away*

Girl #2: *whispering* I think she's a teacher! What if she heard us?

Girl #1: Teachers don't listen to what we say, they're too busy being mean.

There was so much going on in that that I didn't even know where to begin.... enjoy the nonsensical-ness :) Happy Friday!
    **Planning Bio** UPDATED! 4/9/12 Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We set our wedding date 7 months ago. I've been asking FI to talk to his church about what time we can have the cermony for weeks now, so we can confirm a time for our vendors. We figured they would tell us something like 4 pm, which would mean a 30-45 min ceremony, 45 min-1hr cocktail hour, and then start dinner around 5:30-6.

He finally asked today. The latest we are allowed to have our ceremony?? 2 pm, unless we wait until after evening mass.

I am at a loss for words right now... I don't know what to do. I don't want to have an afternoon wedding in AUGUST, but I'm thinking that finding a new venue 8 months out is going to be next to impossible, especially in a town (Wichita Falls) where we already had so much trouble finding one that we just compromised on having it at his church.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well our wedding isn't really going to be that religious- we aren't even doing mass. We're having a deacon officiate instead of the priest (we've already cleared that part with the church). I'm just worried it's going to be awkward to have a break between the ceremony and reception during the hottest part of the day in the summer. And I'm also slightly worried that people (especially older relatives of FI's) will be less than pleased with the break in tradition.

Thanks for wishing me luck! I thought I was going to spend this weekend celebrating finally being done with school, but instead it's going to be overrun with the "where to have the wedding" conversation... again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kristan, our wedding was at 2 and it was perfect.  We had great lighting for pics before and after the ceremony.  At first I was a little put off by the early start time, but I don't think I would change it now.  Some of our friends threw an afterparty after our reception, which was great, because we got to keep partying, but we weren't paying for the booze!  And I was really bummed because I thought we'd

But a lot of people do the gap.  As long as you don't have a bunch of OOT guests or something for them to do, it should be fine.  Is your reception at a hotel?  Our friends had their reception at the Magnolia, and they just let us wait in the lobby (guests of the hotel got free drink coupons) until the reception started.
    Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    HAHAHAHAHA.

Greatest.  Ever.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Jen6862Jen6862 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kristan--

One, my sister is the same way which is why I chose a friend as my MOH and that was my exact argument to my mom, when she suggested same. Later on she said "you were RIGHT" ha.

Two, We had our Catholic ceremony at 2 pm and our reception start at 6 pm, dinner just before 7:30, and it worked out fine. This is common with religious weddings. Most people went home or to their hotel to change, rest, relax before the evening.

Good luck! -Jen
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_fff-85?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:3c089813-a4df-4489-981e-99b1487dc73aPost:b65c177d-9be9-4548-a886-3fbacbac517b">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well our wedding isn't really going to be that religious- we aren't even doing mass. We're having a deacon officiate instead of the priest (we've already cleared that part with the church). I'm just worried it's going to be awkward to have a break between the ceremony and reception during the hottest part of the day in the summer. And I'm also slightly worried that people (especially older relatives of FI's) will be less than pleased with the break in tradition. Thanks for wishing me luck! I thought I was going to spend this weekend celebrating finally being done with school, but instead it's going to be overrun with the "where to have the wedding" conversation... again!
    Posted by kristan1022[/QUOTE]

<div>The only wedding I've been to that had a gap was without a mass.  Like I said, if you guys can find a place for the OOT guests to chill, it shouldn't be bad, as long as you have only like, an hour gap.</div>
    Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Half of our guests are OOT. The biggest reason I'm concerned is because August is so HOT, especially at 2 in the afternoon! And I probably should have chosen a different date, but it is a very significant date for us so I was hoping an evening/late afternoon wedding would help us bypass the heat. We were hoping for 3 or 4 so that once we are done with the ceremony it will be a bit cooler and we won't melt trying to take pictures :)

FI is going to see if we can get them to make an exception, because when we originally set our date and spoke with the church, they said 3 or 4 was fine. But since then a new priest has come in, and now we kind of feel stuck. There is another church in town that some of FI's extended family goes to, and we could get married there, but we have a stronger connection to his home church so we'd rather do that.

Our reception is going to be in the parish hall- across the street from the church where we were planning (and are still hoping) to have the reception. I guess for the break we could just do an extended cocktail hour? Getting married at a church other than our original church or the other church pretty much isn't an option for our budget, since we're already allocated money to other areas, and the few churches I looked up yesterday cost between $750-$1000 to rent to just for the ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards