Favors

Mom insisting on favors- suggestions??

My mom has started badgering me about choosing favors for our July wedding. I have put a lot of thought into the idea... originally we were going to do the whole 'donation in lieu of....' idea until I read all of the pros/cons on the Knot and we decided not to go that route. My FI and I then just chose not to do favors- they just seem to be so trivial and an added expense.

My mom was appalled at this idea and insists that we have some sort of favor. She is offering to pay for them, so if it makes her happy, we will do it. Its not that big of a deal. 

I know that everyone says that if you are going to do favors, edible is the way to go. However, the desserts at our reception are pretty over the top- cakes, cookies, gelato, and about 20 other things our caterer is putting out. I am worried that even if we go the edible route, most will be left behind.

Can anyone offer up suggestions for favors that might work in this scenario? I've looked at lots of websites and I am trying to steer clear of the little novelty items that will be tossed in the garbage or not taken home at all.  

Re: Mom insisting on favors- suggestions??

• Completely agree that favors do not need to given but there are some consummable favors that don't suggest the need to be eaten immediately: a jar of a jam, jelly, honey or spread, usually something local; a spice rub, sauce, marinade (like BBQ sauce); chocolate truffles; a drink mix - cider, lemonade, tea, cocoa, etc.; a bottle of speciality soda; a bottle of wine (if large enough, can be one per couple); a bottle of syrup.

I'd talk to your mom about what she has in mind as a budget, and then think about what you might be able to find from local producers in that range.  Keep in mind that large quantity items, such as full bottle of wine and decently sized jams, jellies, sauces, rubs, etc. can probably be given one per couple. 
    Anniversary

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_mom-insisting-on-favors-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:0e5eae69-1f87-45f5-8d35-5a5b742537abPost:b28cca17-02ff-4aec-8d75-0faa63882f21">Mom insisting on favors- suggestions??</a>:
    [QUOTE]originally we were going to do the whole 'donation in lieu of....' idea until I read all of the pros/cons on the Knot and we decided not to go that route. 
    Posted by krichards0527[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>First, thank you so much for reading and heeding that advice!  Also, I would love your wedding b/c I am a huge fan of desserts, so all of that sounds yummy!</div><div>
    </div><div>The suggestions Jaclyne had sound great to me!

</div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It wouldn't matter how many desserts you had at your wedding -- I would still take an edible favor as a treat for later:-)    

Local specialties are always good, so if your area has a bakery that locals really like or if it is known for a food item, then use that as inspiration.  It doesn't have to be where the wedding actually takes place,  but could be inspired by where you are FROM.

For example, my town has a really cool artisan chocolate shop that is well-known by locals, so my sister did chocolates from their shop as her favors.    If you lived in Vermont and had a fall wedding, you could do little jars of syrup.   My husband is from Florida, so one of our cupcake-favor flavors was Key Lime.   Stuff like that:-)

I'm not sure if New Jersey is "known" for anything, but you could always just do cookies or treats from your favorite bakery!
    DSC_9275
  • Thanks so much for the great suggestions! I will definitely take them into consideration as I keep searching. I am thinking a few trips to my favorite local bakery may be in order!
  • What about candy of some kind? My parents are insisting on a wedding favour as well (they're determined to have a pretty traditional wedding), so FH and I decided to give out candy. Perfect DIY project for the groomsmen. I'm buying it in bulk, and then got small plastic bags. Candy goes inside bag, which goes in a cute little box with our names, and a little thank you message on it, (not our actual thank you cards). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you want unique favors for that special day please visit www.glamourgiftstore.com
  • HeatherSP13HeatherSP13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I was also pressured to have favors.  I choose bluebonnet seed packets.  I am getting married in central Texas where that bluebonnets are a big deal.  So although I wasn't planning on having any favors I am happy with what I picked.  I did not want to do edible favors since I have also been pressured to have way too much cake.
  • I think its nice to do a favor for your guests...they make the effort and spend the money to come to a wedding and should be shown apprecaition .....i worked with www.goodiesforguests.com to do my favors, they used a a locally made treat and wrapped it in a cute gift box with ribbon to match my colors....Guests loved them

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards