Favors

pretzel rods - chocolate

I like the idea of doing carmel and chocolate covered pretzel rods for our favors. With that said I would like to have hot pink and orange chocolate to drizzle over top of them to incoorporate our colors, is there some way I can get ahold of these colors - if so where? Last, how far in advance to my wedding do you think I could make these? I have atleast 372 to make (2 a piece) .
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: pretzel rods - chocolate

• edited December 2011
    you can mix in wiltons cake dye to white chocolate candy melts, you can check for candy melts at micheals or joannes in your colors
    as far as time in advance you can't freeze them it ruins the pretzels, but if stored in a cool envirenment in an airtight container they can last up to a month
  • ceyringceyring member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I'd leave the food the color it is naturally.  It would look pretty to wrap the rods in clear cellophane bags and tie those with curling ribbon in your colors.
  • jeanna85jeanna85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure if you can see them well, but these are the pretzel rods my mom and I made as favors for my e-party. We dipped them in white chocolate and then covered with chocolate sprinkles and then we did some that were dark chocolate with crushed nuts and others that were milk chocolate with rainbow sprinkles or those little round hard sprinkles (forgot the name).

Packaged two together in bags that were made for pretzel rods (got them at michaels). We saw every color of wiltons melting chocolate there (including orange and pink) and originally tried dipping pretzels in pink and drizzling with yellow. Honestly, the bright colored chocolate just doesnt look as appetizing as regular chocolate, that's why we switched to the sprinkles and nuts instead.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    You can buy large blocks of white chocolate, especially around the holidays in the baking section of your local grocery store.  And, as they said, add the coloring.  I would recommend wilton's gel colors over regular food coloring, it won't thin out your chocolate and it has a truer color. 

GL!!  Time consuming, but delicious!
  • edited December 2011
    If you plan to color white chocolate, you need to use the gel food coloring.  The liquid food coloring will cause the chocolate to seize, and you won't be able to dip anything in it.

DH and I did choc. dipped pretzel rods for our favors.  We made about 400 (two per person) and it took about one hour to make 100.  I think I made ours about a week in advance, and since we had the air conditioning on in the house, I just put them in air tight containers and put them in the cupboard.

We did 200 pretzels dipped in milk chocolate and rolled in chocolate sprinkles and the other 200 we dipped in white chocolate and rolled in crushed oreos.
  • shannon1787shannon1787 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you can get bags of any color candy melt at a store like acmoore, michaels, etc.  We've made lots of things in lots of colors!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards