Favors
Options

Favor Question

So we are having a photobooth, one that prints the stips of pictures.  Anyways, they are doing two copies, one goes in a book for our guests to write little messages to us for a keepsake (photos and video are a big deal at our wedding becasue I have a memory problem, but that is a different story). And the other goes in a little sleeve for them to take home as a bookmark favor.

My question is this, I know a little bookmark with pictures on it is not that big of a favor, but we (bride, groom, parents, etc) have been debating between two ideas.

One a tin with candy that has a personalized stamp on it that has our name and wedding date on it.  It would have colored candies that match our wedding colors.  yes I know traditional but anyways.

The other idea is a donation.  yes I know donations are hotly debated.  And I understand why.  Ours kind of fits our wedding though.  The bride and groom are wearing TOMS shoes (for each pair bought they donate a pair to a child in need).  We are serving wine from a company that uses 50% of profit to a charity (got the idea from another knoter). And there are other things we are doing as well.  So a donation to a charity fits, at least in my opinion.

Plus since they are already getting a favor, though something small ( but useful) I don't see a problem with the donation idea.  Was just wondering others thoughts on the ideas.  Should we do the tin, or would the donation be ok.

Re: Favor Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh yes maybe I should mention.

I am a teacher, my fiancee is in nursing school.  We thought we would donate to an organization that helps in both of these areas.  We would donate to their education fund and their medical fund, which since its what we chose for our careers means alot to us.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually, my answer is a qualified neither.  I wouldn't spend the money on a tin with a personalized stamp on it.  The candy inside:  great!  But in making the tins, you're spending time and $$ on something that very, very few guests will actually want and/or keep.  Sorry.

I'd put the candy in a cute bag, a favor box, tie it up in tulle, etc.  People will care far more about the candy than the container it's in.

As for the donations, here's my standard answer:
    Make your donation.  I believe in donations.  I make them myself.  I think they're a good thing to do.

But don't pretend that they're a favor to your guests.  Because they're not.  They're a favor to the organization, and to you.  You're taking the money you'd spend on a little something for your guests and giving it to someone else.  How do you figure that's a favor for your guests?

Honestly, I don't need a favor.  I don't really want a favor.  You're already giving me food, drinks, entertainment.  I don't need a matchbook or m&ms (although I LOVE m&ms) as a thank you.

But please don't in any, way, shape or form think that giving $$ to a charity is somehow doing something for me.

I'd liken it to a guest coming to your wedding and giving you a card that says "In honor of your marriage, I have given a donation to the "eastern micronesia tsunami prevention fund".  It may be important to your guest, but it probably doesn't mean anything to you.  So it's not really a gift for you, is it?

I appreciate all of the "charitable" things you're doing in your wedding.  I don't see a need to announce any of it.  If a guest asks about the shoes,  absolutely tell them.  But I don't know if you were planning to announce, perhaps in a program or something, why you're wearing the shoes.....serving the wine you're serving....and the other things you're doing.  If so:  I wouldn't. 

It's important that you know what you're doing and why.  I don't know why it would be important for your guests to know what you're doing and why.

GL

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to agree and say neither. I don't want anything personalized with your wedding information, I'm sorry but I just won't keep it and you would waste your money. Do the candy and wrap it in tulle like trix suggested or not at all. I think the photo bookmark is great and enough of a favor.
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I think the photo strip is enough. 

Go ahead and make the donation without announcing it.  To some people it might seem like you are saying "look at us, look what GOOD people we are".  I'm not saying this is you at all but I'm a social worker and I have a lot of experience with people who only do good things when they are sure someone will notice and pat them on that back for it, and if people don't notice they make sure to point it out. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Favors aren't a must so having the photo booth is more than a enough!  But I know where you're comign from, we're also having a photo booth but we are also having another favor.  We went to Michaels and used a 50% off coupon to buy little favor boxes that comes with silver ribbon, spent $20 for 2 sets,  bought candy labels you can put through your printer, $8 for 2 sets, and those mini candy bars to wrap the labels around....spent about $10 on candy.  So for a total of $38 we added another favor :) Michaels carry's other types of candy holders besides boxes too if you wanted something else like a little baggy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're also doing two favors; one is a lover bird salt and pepper shaker (matches our cake topper) and the other is a favor bag with the orange slice gummy candies (Fiance's father's favorite candy) with an in memorium tag in memory of his father who died a few years ago. 
  • Options
    graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that you need to do anything else. Photo booths are really expensive (at least where I'm from) and I don't think that anyone would be upset that they didn't get anything else. If you do want to add something else, I'd just go with little candies minus the personalized boxes. Like others have said, nobody really wants to take home a souvenir with a date on it. They wont use it and it will probably be either left behind or thrown away. It will probably be a waste. Find a nice, cheap way to package your candy and your guests will be thrilled. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Plumbb2Plumbb2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can I ask how much a photobooth cost?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards