Favors
Options

Are out of town bags necessary?

The hotels that we're looking at charge $3-$4 to just put them in the guests room or to give them to them at check-in.  We have a number of people coming from out of town and the bags would be necessary for almost everyone.  What do you do??? I'm happy to do the bags because I know I can do them economically but the $4 charge in addition for 70 some families is a charge that I'd really like to allocate somewhere else.

Re: Are out of town bags necessary?

• Options
    HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it is necessary to have them..  It is something you would like to do for them.  Maybe you can give them there bag yourself instead of having a hotel do it.  Not sure.  I guess depends on how much do you really want to do OOT bags?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is there another opportunity for you to give the bags to the out of towners? Or is it feasible to have someone from the wedding party "stationed" at the hotel to hang out and greet the folks coming for the wedding?

I agree that the $4 charge is a lot, and while I don't think people would miss them, if you have ideas for the bags that would add to the whole weekend/theme, it might be nice to have a cost-effective way of delivering them.

Visit my Etsy Shop www.LoveSmartDesign.com for personalized wedding puzzles and games.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My hotel also charges to put bags in the guest rooms, but they'll hand them out upon check in for free. We don't have anything personalized in them so, it works great for us!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with LoveSmart. See if you can have someone stationed there or even give them to the OOT guests at another point in the weekend. I did not know hotels charge to put them in rooms. I'll have to remember that and see if the hotel we end up with will charge for that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are your OOT guests invited to the RD?  Because if they are, that is where I would hand them out.

We sucked it up and paid the fee (I think it was $3 in the room or $2 at check in).  But we only had around 20.  The guests really did love the OOT boxes so I do recommend it with that many OOT guests.  Maybe you could leave out something you were planning to put in the boxes to help offset the cost.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My parents are having a dinner the Thurs night before the wedding on Sat so we will give out the bags then.
  • Options
    lindseroolindseroo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really don't think they're necessary.  Actually I had never even heard of them until joining the Knot.  We are going to have a few OOT groups, but all family (my mom's aunt and uncle, etc.) so we aren't even considering doing them.  Our families have been to where we live and all have family here (us...duh) so we don't really see the point.  I have never received an OOT bag at a wedding and have never missed it...
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I keep you with me in my heart, you make it easier when life gets hard.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have never hear of OOT Bags beore the knot either.  What exactly are they for?
  • Options
    akhunter1akhunter1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Have you talked to the hotel and mentioned how much business you are bringing them?  B/c if you remind them of that fact they could wave that $4 charge.  Not only are your guests staying at the hotel but they will also probably eat there as well depending on the hotel for people staying for more than just the night of the wedding.  I would think that could be a charge you would be able to have compt. I am def having OOT bags for my wedding I think it justs sets a nice tone for the upcoming events!

• Options
    deb84deb84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am from a small town in the midwest and have never heard of this.  What exactly do they usually contain?  TIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    GIRL you are giving the hotel 70 families staying at thier place and they won't negotiate. UNACCEPTABLE!!! You are throwing a huge huge chunk of business thier way. That is not okay. I am a total cheapskate and negotiator, but that doesnt mean tackiness! Speak with whomever is in charge and let them know that you will make sure that the guests know how accomodating they were etc, and put in a good word to everyone that you know but to please work with you on this. Be VERY VERY POLITE, and don't speak with a clerk of secretary make sure u talk to the boss. GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have never heard of them before coming to the knot either. But from what I have seen from different profiles on here, they contain snacks for the guests, bottles of water, lists of things to do while in town, maps, etc. I think they are basically just a extra thank you for the guests who had to travel and it gives them a few things to use while they are in town.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PS if you are still deciding then BLUFF, tell the hotel you want the most that this is the determining factor, if they can give you this freebie.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i'm with jasmine.  go talk to a  manager and explain  how many of your guests will be staying there.  it seems like a ridiculous thing to charge for if you are sending that much business their way.  just giving them out at check-in is a cinch.  if they were being specially delivered, i can *maybe* see charging for that. 

kill them with kindness and don't take no for an answer.  ;)
    married :: april 22, 2010 :: sodo park, seattle Photobucket http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyclementines
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I've attended a number of out of town weddings and the biggest benefit to having the bags was the weekend itinerary and information they contained.  Who cares about the snacks, but having information about the area, what wedding events were going on and when (especially if you have a bf who doesn't bring the wedding invitation or you forget it, etc.)   It was nice to be welcomed with a little greeting - after typically having traveled far - and to have a go-to summary of what is going on and when.

One wedding I attended had a "Hospitality Room" where guests could meet up and greet, have snacks, etc. This was awesome, because so often you end up checking into your hotel and trying to track people down separately or wait until you see them at the reception before saying hello, which is awkward. It bridges the gaps between the rehearsal, wedding, and anything else you've got planned.

Hope that helps!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    well there's an idea- for the cost of "delivering" 70 bags, you could get your own room for the first day!  amazing.
    married :: april 22, 2010 :: sodo park, seattle Photobucket http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyclementines
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been to many out-of-town weddings and always received a bag. They are good if you have a crazy flight like I had on a few occassions and were exhausted dehydrated and in need of some chocolate.

I did not know that hotels charge to give them out and put in rooms. I met with 8 managers of 8 hotels before deciding and none of them mentioned charging to put them in rooms or to hand them out at check-in. They do not charge and we only have reserved 20 rooms.

70 rooms!!! They should waive that fee.  Did you contract with them already? I think you could do better.
  • Options
    splint00splint00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think they are necessary. We will also be having a majority of OOT guests and it would get insanely expensive, especially when we are paying for the entire wedding ourselves. We've received them before as guests but really, they are not expected. I think if we had a ridiculous amount of money to spend it would be a nice touch but people won't even miss them.
  • Options
    tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OOT bags are great for the little things like maps, lists of things to do, places to eat, sunscreen, microwave popcorn, hang over cure, etc.  But I agree, for $200.00 I would just do a hospitality suite the first night with pizza & drinks and all the bags on a table.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not necessary at all.  It's another thing dreamed up by the wedding industry to separate you from your money.

Honestly, if you're that dehydrated and jonesing for chocolate after a flight, go to the vending machine down the hall and buy a $1 bottle of water and a $1 candy bar.

I can't begin to see the need for these at all, especially for brides on a budget.  All of my family lives far enough away that we can't get to a wedding and back in a day.

I think expecting a B&G to provide OOT bags, hospitality suites, etc. is beyond silly.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Another key negotiating point is to make sure the hotels know that it doesn't matter who gets what bag.  Sometimes they had to search and search for our names, other times, everyone got the same exact bag so it was quick. I think if they know they can just grab from a pile it makes things A LOT easier (and not worth ANY charge).

Good luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011

We're not doing OOT bags. Especially with the cost. We are going to do a cocktail hour after the RD with our wedding party and then invite everyone for appetizers and cocktails. There we'll pass out a map of the area and things to do as well as wedding related events. Our wedding is just way to big to do it for everyone and we're paying $275 per person not including open bar so OOT bags can be skipped.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards