Flowers

Fabric Bouquets Vs. Baby's Breath Bouquets...Need opinions!

I am having such a hard time with this decision. I'm a teacher and my fiance is a full time pharmacy student, so we are on a modest budget. Our families are going to help some, but the bulk of costs will probably be our responsibility. I have heard that flowers are one of the biggest costs within a wedding, so I was thinking of ways to keep those from costing a fortune. I just can't imagine paying thousands of dollars for something that will die days after use.

I am having a rustic/country/chic type wedding. I was really wanting to do fabric bouquets and boutonnieres after I met some extremely talented women who make them on Etsy.com. But, I am starting to worry that it may come off tacky, even though the fabric bouquets and boutonnieres are beautiful. Now I am contemplating baby's breath bouquets for bridesmaids and a real flower bouquet mixed with the flowers I like for me. However, I don't know what to use for a real flower, cheap boutonniere.

Baby's breath will be lining my aisle in mason jars, so I am already incorporating them into my ceremony and on my reception tables.

I just can't decide. I am all for being unique, but I want my wedding to be anything but tacky.

I've attached a picture of the type of fabric bouquet I am looking to have made, except it will have dark red and coral colors mixed in with burlap, lace and beige/taupe colors.

Opinions would be great! Fabric bouquets...or Baby's Breath?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Fabric Bouquets Vs. Baby's Breath Bouquets...Need opinions!

• My honest opinion: I'm not sure that fabric bouquet would translate well into colors. I think it looks great and love it, but I think it's because it is ivory & white. If you have an example of it in colors, then supply one.

I have seen fabulous use of simply baby's breath for bouquets. Google images of "baby's breath bouquets".......they can look simple, or classy, even elegant. I love the simplicity, and they are inexpensive.

Real flower bouts and corsages: roses are classic, maybe with a small sprig of baby's breath to pick that up if it is your decision.

You could then get white roses or white calla lillies alone, or with baby's breath. Roses are cheaper. Even a single white rose or calla lilly with ribbon on the stem can look elegant.

Good luck.
  • pattib5pattib5 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I LOVE the idea of the fabric bouquet! It's unique and the pic you posted is lovely. That said, I think a baby's breath bouquet may actually be less expensive, if that's your primary concern. And I think baby's breath is an up and coming trend.

In fact, I love either of those bouquet ideas over more traditional roses and calla lillies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Here is a picture of a sample flower she made for me. She incorporates the colors very modestly. I really love the look :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Baby's breath is very inexpensive - you can get a giant bunch for $5.  So if cost is your primary concern, I would go with the baby's breath.  I also think that fabric bouquets and brooch bouquets will look very dated in a few years.

For boutinneres, since they only use one flower each, they won't be expensive unless you choose an exotic bloom, so just use what you like.
  • I like the fabric bouquet.  I say keep the bb for the aisles and do fabric bouquets for you.  What is the shop name of the esty seller.  I'm interested now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards