Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

another 'first dance song' post

My wedding is in a week and my FI and I just cant seem to settle on a song! With my background in music journalism, one would think it would be super easy to just pick a song, but most of the songs that do mean something, aren't particularly wedding appropriate and are undanceable...what to do?

We're not country people and we're in our early 20s so as much as I love oldies, some really just don't fit us. I'm seriously running out of ideas-songs, everything! I do have a particular song in mind, but that's the song I was planning to sing to him-which just may be put off altogether in order to have a decent song to dance to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sorry for the ranting! haha

Re: another 'first dance song' post

• edited December 2011
    We're using Ingrid Michaelson's "The Way I Am"
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    My friend's sister and her husband danced to "Your Song" by Elton John. But I think it was the version from Moulin Rouge.

• edited December 2011
    We're using Losing You by John Butler Trio.  I have it in my bio on the music page if you wanna listen.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • kissamarykissamary member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    what's the song you were going to sing?  What kind of music styles do you guys like?  I know too many songs!
  • DontesMommyDontesMommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and  I were in the same exact boat and we finally decided on "Dont wanna miss a thing" by Aerosmith.. Its a little more modern, but tells howwe feel.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm an indie person for the most part-so I've rummaged through tons of acoustic songs, love songs-you name it. The songs I thought were perfect like Camera Obscura's version of "I love how you love me" and Arctic Monkey's version of "baby, I'm yours"-the FI didn't like. Undecided My FI likes rock, but we've agreed on dancing something slow and romantic-if we could just find it! I was planning on singing a Colbie Caillat song.
  • kissamarykissamary member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh my... you guys are just like us!  i love alternative and oldies and he loves hard rock and scream-o crap :P

We are dancing to Echo by Incubus, but we have a ton of back up songs as well.

Fade into you by Mazzy Star
    In my life (beatles cover) by Johnny Cash
    You are my sunshine (cover ) by Johnny Cash
    Baby I love you (cover) by the Ramones
    Look after you by the Frey
    Last Night on Earth by Greenday
    Baby, It's Fact by Hellogoodbye
    Slow dance by Framing Hanley

The Greenday one might be really good because it is a sweet slow rock song... If I didn't love the Incubus song so much that one would be our song.
    you can listen to them on my playlist:
    http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12506145291
  • edited December 2011
    We are thinking of using "First Day of my Life" by Bright Eyes...or we might just go ultra old-fashioned and go with Unchained Melody! Can't decide! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Those are good :)

Incubus is one of my FI's favorite bands. He didn't want to dance to them though, go figure. That would've been my first choice! The music in that song is beautiful.

I really love that Mazzy Star song, but that wasn't in the running because I wasn't sure it was 'romantic' in the sense of being together. I probably listened to a good majority of your playlist-ours are very similar! haha

homediva-I love your dress!

Thanks for your suggestions ladies! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Have you ever hear of Ryan Huston? He's got some awesome love songs, vocal and guitar mostly but he's got a little variation in style. Some of my faves are "Thank You", "Love You Forever", and "Daydreams".
    My Bio: Updated 5/18/11

June 2011
    My Morgan!

Photobucket

Miss Dayna

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited December 2011
    aw i love baby, its fact by hellogoodbye!

i have a huge list but here are a few that i can think of

hard to concetrate - red hot chili peppers
    the luckiest - ben folds
    red right ankle - the decemberists
    green eyes - coldplay
    i will follow you into the dark - DCFC
    such great heights or love and some verses - iron and wine
    the blowers daughter - damien rice
    the girl - city and colour
  • edited December 2011
    we're using "Question" by Rhett Miller.

I was the same way there were so many songs I wanted to dance to, I'm such a music buff I was like I have pick just one!

the chorus goes "someday somebody's gonna ask you, a question you should say yes to once in your life, i got a question for you" it's such a wonderful song, and not to long coming to a total of 3 minutes.

--Colleen
  • edited December 2011
    Our first dance song is "Feels like Home" by Randy newman... 78 days!!!!
  • kellehartkellehart member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours is "It's your love"  by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill.  My fiance picked it because of the words which describes where we started and where we are now in our relationship.
  • amandyfaceamandyface member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our first dance is to "Come What May" from Moulin Rouge. But also, a good one is "Today" by Joshua Radin or pretty much anything from Michael Buble!
  • edited December 2011

We've decided on a song with no lyrics.  I hope it's not too weird!  We're going to dance to "Sleepwalkers" by Santo & Johnny.

I will be his Kuato for life!
  • saramaebellsaramaebell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You absolutely need to do Ray LaMontagne's You are the Best Thing.  Have you heard it?  Amazing.
    Another good one I heard the other day was Otis Redding's version of You Send Me.  So good!!!
    Congrats!
  • lauryn0427lauryn0427 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MICHAEL BUBLE, "EVERYTHING"
  • mbaklarzmbaklarz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Until you by Dave Barnes.  Love it!
  • NeiliecNeiliec member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our first dance will be to Me & You by Kenny Chesney.  MY FI proposed to me at Kenny's concert while he was singing that song.

• alyssarkaplanalyssarkaplan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Here, There and Everywhere by the Beatles.
  • edited December 2011
    We're using Lost in The Moment by Big & Rich (country)
  • maisonscomaisonsco member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are using "first dance" by corey smith. it's an awesome song and very fitting
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • marybethzoemarybethzoe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just decided on "You're the First, the Last, My Everything" by Barry White.  We've enjoyed dancing and want to do more than just 'sway'.  Since it's a *celebration*, we're trying to pick up the beat at the same time!!  Jaws will drop & I'm sooo looking forward to it!
  • sdbell88sdbell88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're going to take lessons and dance to "Say Hey (I Love You)" by Michael Franti. Love that song!
  • edited December 2011

We're using Stand By Me by Ben E. King.  My fiance's brother is a musician so he's going to perform it for us for that personalized touch.  :-)

• buggy1234buggy1234 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to dance to "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" by Death Cab For Cutie, there are sooo many good suggestions. Bright Eyes, that is one of my Favs. I am walking down the Isle to "Today" By Josh Radin.
  • bethewoodsbethewoods member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're dancing to "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green. There couldn't be a more fitting song for us. So excited!
  • edited December 2011
    "No One" by Alicia Keyes
  • edited December 2011
    We went back and forth betwee Ray Lamontagne's Let It Be Me and finally decided on One and Only by Teitur.  :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards