Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

another 'first dance song' post

Re: another 'first dance song' post

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are dancing to "That's how Strong my Love Is" by Otis Redding.  Short and sweet and we just LOVE it!!!  My FI suggested this song right after we got engaged and I was like ....ohhh I dunno.  And then I heard that song at the end of a Mercy (hospital show on TV) and I was like "WOW I love this song!" and My Fi was like "yeah..I suggested that a long time ago and you turned it down."  Needless to say - it's our song now.  Love it!
  • Options
    lizarddoclizarddoc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We wanted to use "better together" by Jack Johnson, but my cousin and his wife used it a few months ago!

We are now using "Keepin' it real" by Mason Jennings. Look up the words online, it's a great song and is perfect for our outdoor wedding.

We took some private dance classes to make sure we didn't look like total idiots and have a waltz/swing thing going (not choreographed).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OUr first dance song is Crash by Dave Mathews Band
  • Options
    chrisjsbridechrisjsbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing "more than anyone" Gavin DeGraw
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kiaverakiavera member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

kiss of life sade....my cousin used it for his wedding and i am contemplating whether it is wrong to use the same song...i think i will put up a post about....but i absolutely love that song i think its perfect

• Options
    edited December 2011

My FI wants us to dance to Glitter by Pink. I like the music but the lyrics I am not too sure about. Anyone have any input

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using "Moonriver" by Johnny Mercer... I am from Savannah, and that's where Johnny Mercer is from and we both LOVE Breakfast at Tiffany's and that song is in there... plus the lyrics ust seem to "fit" us... Ican't wait!
  • Options
    jalbrecht102jalbrecht102 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are dancing to "Save the Last Dance for Me" by Michael Buble. I love him and the movie "The Wedding Date" where I first heard it. The fiance just got tired of me playing different songs for him and went with that. He was very sweet though and took me to see Buble in concert for my birthday. Neither of us are dancers either way so we're only going to be by ourselves for a minute.

My suggestion would be if there's a movie you both love get the soundtrack to see if there's something appropriate on there. I think The Knot also has a page with 100 different wedding songs too. If push comes to shove you could always just throw a dart and see where it lands:-).
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My FI and I aren't country fans either and it took me forever to find a song. We are dancing to "Everything" by Lifehouse. Its a pretty long song (about 6 mins) and really slow but picks up towards the end. I just LOVE the words and can't wait to dance to it in 22 days:)

• Options
    JPasc1878JPasc1878 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We chose Phish's "Waste".

They have been his favorite band since high school and ironically enough we ran into Trey Anastasio, the lead singer, the day before he proposed!

Love Al Green "Lets Stay Together" and First Day of my Life" by Bright Eyes is a great song too!!

• Options
    klinelauraklinelaura member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are dancing to Angel Eyes by the Jeff Healey Band ...love this song!
  • Options
    bradget1bradget1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG i got engaged at Phish show MSG 12/4/09!! we were gonna do Waste but I think Im gonna walk down the isle to it..We are stuck between Loving Cup, or everlong by foo fighters..
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we wanted something that everyone would know, but didn't want something that was... the "norm".

We're dancing to Cat Power's version of Sea of Love.

You can find it on the Juno Soundtrack
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    Faithd5599Faithd5599 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    give up the ghost, magnolia sons

• Options
    sugars4640sugars4640 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "Steady as we go" ~ Dave Matthews Band
  • Options
    JEOyler2010JEOyler2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

All of your song choices are great! My fiance listens to nothing but country, along with his entire family, so we went with "I Do" by Paul Brandt.

• Options
    lhawkins97lhawkins97 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're dancing to "Something" by Jim Sturgess (Beatles cover).  It's a  fantastic song, and both of us love it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm kind of stuck on Norah Jones' cover of Love Me Tender.  This week.  lol

So many fabulous songs to choose from  .....  *sigh*
  • Options
    pengo314pengo314 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "Thank You Too" by My Morning Jacket might be our song, it has a wedding dance feel to it which is sometimes hard to find with indie bands.

"First Day of My Life" by Bright Eyes is very fitting too :D
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We will be dancing to I Do (Cherish you) by Mark Wills.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_another-first-dance-song-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:63a4a39c-82d4-4dff-8e82-bb2eb6f22e42Post:d27c349d-2909-4f62-ac34-85102ca3aab5">Re: another 'first dance song' post</a>:
    [QUOTE]We've decided on a song with no lyrics.  I hope it's not too weird!  We're going to dance to "Sleepwalkers" by Santo & Johnny.
    Posted by skerrydelpizzo[/QUOTE]

I love 'Sleepwalk'....my fiancee plays that all the time in every gig he does and since I am a band widow per se..lol...I don't get to dance with him to that particular song.  However, sometime during the evening we will be dancing to it.  We're going to dance our first dance to 'On The Wings of Love' by Jeffrey Osbourne though.
  • Options
    JoJo42JoJo42 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "Dance me to the end of love" by Madeleine Peyroux
    It's a wonderful jazzy foxtrot/swing, not too fast or slow.  It has a line that always makes me smile, "Dance me to the wedding now, dance me on and on", so sweet

TTC#1 since 3/11
    Dx PCOS, Anovulatory 4/11
    8/11- Clomid 50mg/Letrozole 2.5mg- no response
    9/11- Clomid 100mg/Letrozole 5mg- BFP!!!
    It's a Girl!
  • Options
    vstudansvstudans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love Serenade - The Waifs.... fast, upbeat, cute
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since I can't seem to figure out how to get my wedding countdown timer on this site...I am getting married on Saturday, May 29 @ 1:30 p.m.  Can't wait!!!!
  • Options
    NeneRedNeneRed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are dancing to Ribbons in the Sky by Stevie Wonder. I love that song.  My other choice is At Last by Etta James. 
  • Options
    sharavalsharaval member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i love Slow Dance by john legend.... i want to use that for our song, but not sure if we agree on it.  :)  but it is a GREAT song... kind of groovy, yet still dance-able, and the words are beautiful!
  • Options
    ElliotandAnnaElliotandAnna member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are still trying to decide too. A hard decision! Right now we are thinking "The Nearness of You" by Norah Jones. Runners-up included "Slow Pony Home" by The Weepies and "At Last" by Etta James. We had friends who used Queen's "You're My Best Friend." Beautiful!

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having trouble deciding too so I think what we're going to do is cut and edit like 15 seconds each from 3-4 of our favorite Journey songs!
    Vicki & Ali - 3/5/11 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lexis01lexis01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're dancing to "This I promise you" by N'Sync......when that album first came out my FI bought it for me and when he heard the song he said "one day when we get married, this is going to be our song" and now here we are 12yrs later!!
  • Options
    ivanauivanau member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i found this one song by total accident and it's perfect it made me cry..I cant wait to dance to it :))
    "you are the one " by toni gonzaga
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards