Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

"Daughters" by John Mayer... inappropriate?

When I was a little girl and my father would pick me up on the weekends, he would always play this song for me. I am sure that he remembers that, but I don't think he knows that I remember. I really wanted to surprise him and choose this song for our father-daughter dance because I KNOW it would be really really special to him.

However, upon listening to it as an adult and paying close attention to the lyrics, I am torn. It could be taken to mean something a little more dark than what it meant to us. I don't feel like it's the most appropriate song, but there is no song I could use that has that much significance to our relationship. My father would really love hearing that song.

Is this a good choice based on how special the song is to us, or would our guests take it the wrong way?
Baby boy! EDD 3/31/2013

Re: "Daughters" by John Mayer... inappropriate?

• Options
    hm.. i think it can be taken in a good way. you had nice memories with it. i say do it.
  • Options
    I love this song and really wanted to think it wasn't inappropriate for my father and I to dance to but the meaning I take away from the song is that the daughter is all messed up because her dad walked out on her when she was younger.

" since the day she saw him walking away, now she's left, cleaning up the mess he made"

I felt like if I could find a way to delete that part it would be OK but it is a bit of a dark song :( 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I know, that ONE line just kills it! I really don't know what to do, because there's just no other song that would bring up those fond memories of our weekends together when I was little and he was living by the lake!

But at the same time, my mother's side of the family already thinks my father didn't have enough involvement with us...
    Baby boy! EDD 3/31/2013
  • Options
    Maybe there is a way to cut that part out? I mean, if it's meaningful to you, you should totally use it. Also, maybe other people aren't listening to the lyrics as much? I don't know. I was worried about it too and that's why I'm not using it, but if it's special to you maybe you can. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    There's a computer program called "audacity" that you can download free and it makes cutting songs really easy.... Then just export as an mp3. P.s. I like the song even though i see why you have reservations.
  • Options
    OOh I'm totally going to have to check out that program! 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    You could probably find an instrumental version as well, but I like the idea of cutting the one lyric out if you can.

It's a beautiful song, by the way. Laughing
  • Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! I'm going to try to cut that line out of it or see if someone has done it!
    Baby boy! EDD 3/31/2013
  • Options
    I think it's a great song and you should totally use it if it has meaning to you. I doubt most of your guests will notice the one "bad" line.

But I also can't get over the fact that your dad played this for you when you were a little enough girl that he thinks you won't remember. It was only released in 2003. How old are you now?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_daughters-by-john-mayer-inappropriate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:b1e33950-5b05-463a-8ed7-b076bc11fb54Post:1f3b2474-133f-4502-8989-213514bb0315">Re: "Daughters" by John Mayer... inappropriate?</a>:
    [QUOTE]But I also can't get over the fact that your dad played this for you when you were a little enough girl that he thinks you won't remember. It was only released in 2003. How old are you now?
    Posted by tpender13[/QUOTE]

I am glad someone else noticed this...when I read he played that for her when she was a little girl I felt OLD because I didn't think it came out that long ago lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am 22! I wasn't that little, but I still don't think he knows that I remember :).

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. I tried to thank you ladies last night, but it must not have gone through. I'm going to see if I can find the song already edited, since a lot of girls do use it at their weddings.

Thanks again!
    Baby boy! EDD 3/31/2013
  • Options
    I needed a reason to try out the new version of audacity, so I edited the song.  I'll see if I can send it to you in a PM, but I've never tried that before, so let me know if it fails!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_daughters-by-john-mayer-inappropriate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:b1e33950-5b05-463a-8ed7-b076bc11fb54Post:1f3b2474-133f-4502-8989-213514bb0315">Re: "Daughters" by John Mayer... inappropriate?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's a great song and you should totally use it if it has meaning to you. I doubt most of your guests will notice the one "bad" line. But I also can't get over the fact that your dad played this for you when you were a little enough girl that he thinks you won't remember. <strong>It was only released in 2003. How old are you now?
    </strong>Posted by tpender13[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing! I was like, what? is the OP 14? lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_daughters-by-john-mayer-inappropriate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:b1e33950-5b05-463a-8ed7-b076bc11fb54Post:b37795c9-057a-4fdc-b668-ac1dc359a4dd">Re: "Daughters" by John Mayer... inappropriate?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love this song and really wanted to think it wasn't inappropriate for my father and I to dance to but the meaning I take away from the song is that the daughter is all messed up because her dad walked out on her when she was younger.  " since the day she saw him walking away, now she's left, cleaning up the mess he made" I felt like if I could find a way to delete that part it would be OK but it is a bit of a dark song :( 
    Posted by lindsayadams80[/QUOTE]

Ya know, I just read the lyrics and i don't think that line is about a father at all. I think it is about a man that the girl was in love with and HE walked out on her, not her father and she came to her father for console. Hence, "fathers be good to be your daughters..." eseentially saying that when your daughter is hurting, be there for her. I don't take the meaning that you take from it at all.

I also don't think people will be listening so closely and analyzing every lyric. They will be focusing on what they are seeing, not so much what they are hearing. (FYI if you have a band not a DJ, you can have the band alter this line or take it out if you are concerned).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards