Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Intro and question about Prelude Music?

Hello fellow Knotties! I got engaged about two months ago, and I'm trying to dive into this wedding stuff head first. I know that music might not be a major part of some weddings, but its a big deal for me. I am doing most of the planning on my own because my FI is in the Army and in training until at least July :(  Our wedding is hopefully going to be in September.

My mom and I were discussing some things and she mentioned that I needed to decide on music to be played before the ceremony. Since then I have been trying to figure out music for when guests are coming in and being seated. I have come up with a few songs, and I'm going to have a pianist, so the piano versions of all of these songs are beautiful, but I'm not sure if it is okay to mix traditional songs with some more contemporary ones. I've pretty much decided that my bridesmaids will walk in to Canon in D, and I'll most likely stick with Wagner's Bridal Chorus, but if I use these then does the prelude music have to be all traditional? 

I like the traditional Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring and Clair de Lune.

Some of the songs I really like that are nontraditional are: The Feather Song from Forrest Gump, the piano versions of Numb by Linkin Park, Head over Feet by Alanis Morissette, Today by The Smashing Pumpkins, and Enchanted by Taylor Swift. There will NOT be any of the lyrics sung, there will be only a single piano ( I know that some of these songs could be considered odd for a wedding). 

Re: Intro and question about Prelude Music?

• Options
    I don't think it matters either way, unless it's in a church/synagogue/temple, etc. Houses of worship often have rules on what can be played. My church doesn't permit Wagner, for example.

Only a couple times have I notices the prelude music at a wedding. Once, it was my friend on the organ. The other time, the issue was the prelude music hadn't started by the ceremony time on the invitations. It's polite to talk quietly over prelude music, so guests don't sit and listen to it.

And only the pianist and ushers will hear everything that's played.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards