Options

Dollar Dance

2»

Re: Dollar Dance

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh yes.  A money tree would be MUCH better than a dollar dance.  And you could put one of these cute poems in front of the tree so that people will know what it's all about-since again, it's NOT a custom in your circle..

A haiku:
    We want your money
    Attach it to this tree now.
    Then you can go home.

Or in iambic pentameter:

We planned this great big wedding
    but we're very short of cash.
    So we've put up a lovely tree
    to help us fund this bash.

Open up your wallet,
    Find the biggest bills you own,
    Now attach them to a branch
    And then you can go home.

For all we really wanted
    was your money, and not you.
    We just could not afford this
    What else were we to do?

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    edited December 2011
    farmgirl, no matter how many boards you go to, you will find no one with good taste who thinks it's okay for you to shake down your guests for money.  

You are being greedy and money-grubbing.  Why not just issue a cover charge since that's all you really want from people?
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    edited December 2011
    She's obviously posting on all boards until she finds enough people who think that it's fine to treat your guests like ATMs, and sadly she may have found it here.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_dollar-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:bc457038-71f9-4351-b964-fc784ac29cddPost:29a1f84e-7aba-47dd-9182-6ca967fdda76">Re: Dollar Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]My cousin decided to do both a money dance and a money tree. Now this seemed a bit over board to me but  a money tree is something I have see in the past. It is usually a manzanita brach covered with clips that guests can hang dollar bills from. However since many people are moving away from "dollar dances" <u><em><strong>maybe you could call it a honeymoon tree and have you dj mention if people want to help you on your honeymoon they can go on their own and pin somthing on</strong></em></u>. I hope that's what you were looking for.
    Posted by miss.jawright[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's an excellent idea.  Because people will be so happy to help someone pay for their vacation, especially after they've already traveled to the wedding, perhaps paid for lodging, and brought along a gift.

Unbe-freakin'-lievable.

Stage:  thanks.  I'm glad you enjoyed my efforts.  I was just thinking the other day that it's been a long time since someone asked for a "cute poem" for some aspect of their wedding.  That used to be a very common request when I first started knotting.

Because as everyone knows, a cute poem can make even the crassest thing okay.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Any one else starting to hear the Dixie Chicks in your head whenever you come across one of these threads?  "You can't afford no ring.  You can't afford no ri-ing.  I shouldn't be wearin' white and you can't afford no ring...."

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Glad I'm not attending some of the bridezilla's weddings.  I

f it's customary in your family then go for it.  If groomie hates dancing then don't.  It's his party, too.  If he's drunk enough at the wedding to do it then, maybe you can talk him into it.  I know where you come from on this.  We're not doing one, but they're pretty customary from our small town.  I wouldn't be appalled.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow I can't believe some of the responses you have received and all I have to say is I am sorry. You are just asking for help, if yo don't have any helpful suggestions no need to rain on someone elses parade with your mean remarks.

In Milwaukee every wedding I have been to has had a dollar dance. It is a silly tradiation that no one looks at as being "fundraising", and tacky well every wedding has a little tacky - you're telling me no one has ever danced the YMCA at a wedding?

As far as ideas go -- I heard there is an Italian tradition of passing a purse around. I am not sure of the details or anything but it might be something to look into???

You could even do a dollar dance but they get to dance with the bestman and maid of honor or catchers of the bouquet and garder and it is the job of the bride and groom to get people to dance with them???

Hope some of this helps, and don't forget it's your wedding do it your way!

Christine
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_dollar-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:bc457038-71f9-4351-b964-fc784ac29cddPost:e65e57e1-7fb3-4a3f-b561-0d154d2b036c">Re: Dollar Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow I can't believe some of the responses you have received and all I have to say is I am sorry. You are just asking for help, if yo don't have any helpful suggestions no need to rain on someone elses parade with your mean remarks. In Milwaukee every wedding I have been to has had a dollar dance. It is a silly tradiation that no one looks at as being "fundraising", and tacky well every wedding has a little tacky - you're telling me no one has ever danced the YMCA at a wedding? As far as ideas go -- I heard there is an Italian tradition of passing a purse around. I am not sure of the details or anything but it might be something to look into??? You could even do a dollar dance but they get to dance with the bestman and maid of honor or catchers of the bouquet and garder and it is the job of the bride and groom to get people to dance with them??? Hope some of this helps, and don't forget it's your wedding do it your way! Christine
    Posted by ChrissyDipi[/QUOTE]
    Good ieas.  Thank you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Why not just treat it like a keg party and charge everyone $5 for their plastic cup?  Or you could have a carnival theme and make people buy tickets when they arrive, then they have to give you a certain number of tickets for everything: 2 tickets per drink, 10 tickets for dinner, 1 ticket per song if they want to dance, etc.  For pete's sake, stop trying to scam money off your guests!

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Now, I know Wikipedia is open to public editing, but I think we could all learn something by reading up on this. It's not just something this poor bride made up for you to ridicule: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_dance. I also found this really interesting article: http://www.anthro.uci.edu/Dance.pdf. Apparently a lot of cultures are greedy and money grubbing... Would it affect your responses if she was giving the money to charity? Breast cancer awareness??
  • Options
    ckctelli2011ckctelli2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a dollar dance at our home reception also. But in our circle when you give a dollar you get to take a shot AND dance with the bride or groom. That might be fun for your groom since you said he only dances with a bit of booze in him! I have also been to weddings were they auction off the first dance with the bride and groom. Whoever puts up the most money wins the first dance. Then they open the floor to whoever wants to dance with them. We did this at my cousin's wedding in October and it was pretty funny. Drunk people go a little crazy with this. Including myself who ended up winning the first dance with the groom and paid $200 for it!!! It was worth it! I have also seen the Greek tradition of showering the bride and groom with money. The dollar dance is not only about getting money. It's about actually getting to spend a few moments with the people at your wedding. And as a wedding photographer it's a great time to catch some pictures of the bride and groom with individual guests. People that wouldn't normally get up to dance will get up for this. Good luck and do what your heart tells you is best!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_dollar-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:bc457038-71f9-4351-b964-fc784ac29cddPost:85bdcdd3-cf32-423c-be0e-2e51e9868134">Re: Dollar Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are doing a dollar dance at our home reception also. But in our circle when you give a dollar you get to take a shot AND dance with the bride or groom. That might be fun for your groom since you said he only dances with a bit of booze in him! I have also been to weddings were they auction off the first dance with the bride and groom. Whoever puts up the most money wins the first dance. Then they open the floor to whoever wants to dance with them. We did this at my cousin's wedding in October and it was pretty funny. Drunk people go a little crazy with this. Including myself who ended up winning the first dance with the groom and paid $200 for it!!! It was worth it! I have also seen the Greek tradition of showering the bride and groom with money. The dollar dance is not only about getting money. It's about actually getting to spend a few moments with the people at your wedding. And as a wedding photographer it's a great time to catch some pictures of the bride and groom with individual guests. People that wouldn't normally get up to dance will get up for this. Good luck and do what your heart tells you is best!!!
    Posted by ckctelli2011[/QUOTE]

Thanks, the shot idea would be VERY interesting! lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards