Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

DJ or Band???

So we are thinking about going with a live band but I'm curious if a DJ would be a better pick because of the variety of the songs that can be played vs the song list of a live band. What do you guys think?

Re: DJ or Band???

• Options
    I had SK Entertainment DJ for my wedding ($300 - for 6 hours and we even got ceremony music, a mic for our officiant, and dance floor lighting!!). I was at my cousin's wedding last year and the band took breaks every hour or so. It kinda put a damper on the party. We all continued to party though!  My friend asked if they could play "Wobble" (or something close??!!:) ) The band leader had no idea what she was talking about. They paid $2500 for a 6 piece band for only 4 hours! They also paid $1000 for their string quartet to play 1 hour during the ceremony (no microphone for the officiant. We were sitting in the back and couldn't hear anything! But, the strings were definetly nice.). My wedding entertainment costed $300 ("Steve"- the owner played some Vitamin C Quartet tunes while our guests arrived. Not quite the same as a real string quartet, but the sound was amazing). Introductions, dinner music, etc.. were perfect! I swear I have heard this guy on the radio. Our dance floor was packed all night! We've all been to weddings where the dance floor gets full when the DJ plays the Cha Cha dance thing and some line dance. But, our dance floor was packed the entire evening. $300? DJ or band???
    I
    n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_dj-or-band?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:d0639792-a75b-42fe-a2ac-f97f7dbd4c18Post:60a01a40-9a49-45ec-839c-bf954c207f2b">DJ or Band???</a>:
    [QUOTE]So we are thinking about going with a live band but I'm curious if a DJ would be a better pick because of the variety of the songs that can be played vs the song list of a live band. What do you guys think?
    Posted by jessimarie2013[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    DJ's are way more versitile. Also, DJ's don't take breaks !!!
  • Options
    I also noticed that in my area the pricing is cheaper. I have been to quiet a few weddings and only one of them actually had music and she had a DJ. The DJ won't take from the ceremony and reception atmosphere if we give a list of play and do not play right?
  • Options
    DJS are more versatile and consistent in terms of energy level but a band will ultimately have a higher energy level at their peak ... negative tho:  bands take breaks.
  • Options
    Bands can tend to be more pricey, but if you're set on it, ask if they provide pre-recorded music for during their breaks. Otherwise, you can always setup an IPOD during those down  times.Smile
    PitaPata Dog tickers

Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards