Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Greek Wedding Music

Hi there!

Alright, so heres the scoop.  I'm looking for any CDs I can purchase that has some "real" greek wedding songs in it to give to our DJ.  I'm not looking for a link to "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" soundtrack, I want the stuff that if you went out and hired a greek DJ, what they would play.

The easy thing for me and my fiance to do is to go out and hire a greek DJ, but when 80% of the night will be american music, we wanted to hire a top notch american DJ.  The family doesnt know the names of these songs, but if they heard them, they could say if they are right or wrong.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!  I need your help!

Re: Greek Wedding Music

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_greek-wedding-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:e242bacf-4195-4074-a566-f1ba33b9e11fPost:2f25bea6-07b6-4f08-8ffa-d4ead70b0090">Greek Wedding Music</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi there! Alright, so heres the scoop.  I'm looking for any CDs I can purchase that has some "real" greek wedding songs in it to give to our DJ.  I'm not looking for a link to "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" soundtrack, I want the stuff that if you went out and hired a greek DJ, what they would play. <strong>The easy thing for me and my fiance to do is to go out and hire a greek DJ, but when 80% of the night will be american music, we wanted to hire a top notch american DJ.</strong>  The family doesnt know the names of these songs, but if they heard them, they could say if they are right or wrong. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!  I need your help!
    Posted by Thistlewick[/QUOTE]

There are Greek DJs who play more than just Greek music and many of them, if not all, are American.  Please watch how you word some things.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • schadbourneschadbourne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know what you mean,  i will marry into a greek family and the FI fam wanted us to get a DJ/band who plays "Greek" music. I wouldnt mind "Greek music" during some of our reception but i wanted other kinds of music during the majority of the reception. We are paying so a non greek playing dj was hired. I am in New England and considered Tapethia because I have herd them play/dj during one of the Chuch dances held every other year. Here are their sample page

http://www.tapethia.com/Music_samples.html

maybe you can get some ideas from this and search itunes.

good luck fellow Greek Bride :)
  • sewingdamesewingdame member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Orea pou einai i nifi mas- how beautiful our bride is is the most popular song for greek weddings, it's usually the song that the bride dances and opens up the dancing part of the night. 

stou paidiou mou ti xara- haha its about killing a rooster, which is like a huge deal. it's usually reserved for the bride's father to dance to. in greek culture, the biggest honor and accomplishment in a man's life is marrying his daughter off with a nice dowry and beautiful wedding. my dad will be dancing this at my wedding. 

sagapo yiati eisai orea- i love you because you're beautiful...it's a very beautiful song, no one really dances for it, but i plan to dance it as my first dance. 

there are other medleys used for dancing, etc. 

this is considered zebekiko, its not a line dance. its an individual dance where on lookers kneel on the floor, clap along to the music and usually throw money at the person dancing

this is a traditional medley of songs for dancing at weddings:

hope this helps you get started. mind you, these songs can sound very different from one another, theyve been passed down for years so the style, rhythym and whatnot depends on the band and person singing it. but it can at least get you started. 

• AZMagnini14AZMagnini14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What we did was put together a CD of songs we had downloaded and gave it ot the DJ. He played the handful we picked out and the rest was american music.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards