Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

My Photographer Cancelled on me three weeks before the wedding!

I am getting married in 18 days. My photographer calls me up yesterday and tells me that he can't do my wedding because something "has come up" - I find out that he has double booked the day, and he wants his assistant to do my wedding. I am guessing someone else is paying more money (I am already paying him upwards of 3000 dollars!). He is offering me a 500 dollar discount on my package, or a full refund of my deposit, less the bridal portraits. I don't know what is best - should I take the refund and try to find someone else? If I do that, I will still have to deal with the original photographer to get the portraits that I want because he owns the copyright. Or should I take the discount? I am not sure that a 500 dollar discount is enough - I am paying for his work in particular, and will be getting his "assistant." I am so mad! Thoughts?

Re: My Photographer Cancelled on me three weeks before the wedding!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would get immediately on the ball and find out if anyone else who had work you liked is available.  I personally would not want to pay that much money for an assistant.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    Altoid_StormAltoid_Storm member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, find someone else!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The same thing has happened with my make-up artist.  She didn't even tell me.  My hair stylist did.  I'm scrambling to find somebody new.  I know this pales in comparison to your dilema.  I would try and find somebody else before telling him what you want to do.  Where are you located?
    10/10/10- Ten years in the making!
  • Options
    ceeceed80ceeceed80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i would seriously find another photographer, get a refund and leave a bad review... so sorry you have to deal with that so close to your wedding. very unprofessional.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a photographer and I think that is SO wrong!!! I feel sooo bad for you. I also just got married in June and I cannot imagine how stressful that must be for you. And honestly, find someone else. You didn't hire them to have their assistant do your wedding number one, and number two, if they tried to pull that with you so close your wedding and being irresponsible enough to double book just to make more money, then you never know what they will do to you in the future with your photos, etc.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    lavalorelavalore member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely get your money back, you are paying for the photographers expertise. A 500$ discount is not enough of a discount for me to go with the assistant (an assistant that might not entirely know what they are doing).
    Get your money back and find another photographer. Im sure the ladies on her can suggest some fabulous photographers for you. I know a great photographer that would most likely travel to Mississippi well within your budget. Message me if you want her info.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Find a good photographer first!  Then sue the photographer!  It is so unprofessional!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well along with getting married next October, I am also wedding photographer. I am trying to do more "out of town weddings" because I love to travel.  If you want to look at my website http://www.cmdimages.com to see if you like what I do and my style, maybe we can work out something mutually beneficial to both of us....for much less than $3000 dollars. I have done many more weddings than what are on my site and can provide references of happy customers. My goal is for my couples to have a great time, beautiful pictures and still have some money left over. What's in it for me? Well I LOVE what I do, it's fun- that is important to me (priceless infact) , I meet so many great people and of course It is my main source of income.Smile Let me know what you think!

Christine
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That sucks! If you can't get ALL your money back and you do not have time to find another photogrpaher, ask to see the assistant's portfolio. Then you can see for yourself if the assistant is talented enough to photograph your wedding. The assistant would have trained under the photographer and should have plenty of experience. Ask how long they have been an assistant, what type of training they have, and if they have done a wedding on their own before.  I'm sorry the photog turned out to be such a db and I hope everything works out for you.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Check out Marisa Leigh Photography at marisaleigh.com. 

She is located in LA and is available for worldwide travel.

She has a classic look and captures the magic between each couple beautifully!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think everyone else is saying it, but really, find another photographer. You don't want to work with someone so irresponsible/absent-minded. There are plenty of excellent photographers out there - find someone worth the money!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of your input everyone! I did find another photographer who is not only free on the wedding day but is also much cheaper! A friend used him and recommended him, and I got lucky because he had a cancellation on my day! So glad all that is taken care of!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ask for samples of the assistant's work, and ask for a bigger discount.  If the assistant's work isn't up to snuff, find someone else if you can.  Also ask if the assistant has ever shot a wedding solo and if they could still provide a 2nd shooter.  You shouldn't be paying for him and his assistant, and then only get the assistant and no second shooter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards