Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

How long do photographers keep originals for?

Just wondering, does anyone know how long do wedding photographers keep the original photos from weddings? Or maybe someone here is a photographer, then can you tell me how long do you keep your original photos? And what is the reason for your decision?

Thank you!

Re: How long do photographers keep originals for?

• edited December 2011
    It varies by photographer -- I'm not aware of any law that requires you to keep photos for a minimum amount of time, so I assume it comes down to 1) personal policy, 2) available HD space, 3) whether you suffered any catastrophic hard disk failures and lost footage.  It's a good question to ask prospective vendors when you meet with them.
  • atomicphotoatomicphoto member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guarantee that I have them for up to two years. I keep all of my images indefinitely, but due to things like hardware failure and other loses over longer times, I only promise that I have them for the two years. 
    As Tanq said, it can vary from photog to photog as this falls under something that is up to personal preference. There is no law in place to specify and specific time frame. 
  • LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is no standard time frame what so ever.
  • angybanezangybanez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed with Laura, there is no standard time frame. I would keep all my work in perpetuity since that's how I work. My photographer for my own destination wedding also keeps all her work in perpetuity. So year later if the client comes back needing help then I can properly service them by having the back-up. However, some companies do not keep the copies given their company procedures.
  • edited December 2011
    I still have pictures from my first wedding in 2008 and have made a backup of it also just incase. Most photographers will keep all of them.
  • Most photographers (and videographers) keep images and materials for longer than you think.  In our case, we keep a copy of the master DVD for years – however that is not a contractual obligation.  If it is vital for your photographer to keep the images for a specified amount of time, be sure to discuss this with them before signing the contract and be sure this is noted in your contract.  There is a cost to keep images – they take up space – either physical space – or hard drive space.  Your photographer might not want the responsibility of keeping images for you for an undefined period but might be willing to give you the images on a disc for you to keep at your risk. Then again, they might not. It depends on their business model.  As I said above, discuss this with your photographer before committing to buy.  Good luck!  P.S.  I am a successful full-time videographer in the DC area and after hundreds of events; I feel I am qualified to offer this advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards