Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

How long to we need a photographer?!?

My fiancee and I are paying for most of our wedding and therefore have a smaller budget. While researching photographers one was recommended to us by a close friend, she a photographer, realitively new to professional photography and her pictures are amazing, howere while looking at the priceing there is a huge difference in the pricing between 8 hours of work and 6 hours, my question here ladies is how long should we hire a photographer for? Is there really that much difference between 8 and 6 hours of photos being taken? Will we get more if we spend more for the 8 hours instead of the 6, or should 6 hours be plenty to capture all the photos we would like to have taken?

Re: How long to we need a photographer?!?

• It depends how much of the day you want covered.  For me everything is important, from getting ready to the reception.  What I did is plan out a timeline of the day.  From there see what you want the photographer there for.  Don't forget to plan out time for your pictures, wedding party pictures, and family pictures. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_how-long-to-we-need-a-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:30Discussion:c0a62d41-aca4-4254-811d-5d60ef6adc89Post:2f141db5-f306-47b2-b5f7-ff5db088ca84">Re: How long to we need a photographer?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It depends how much of the day you want covered.  For me everything is important, from getting ready to the reception.  What I did is plan out a timeline of the day.  From there see what you want the photographer there for.  Don't forget to plan out time for your pictures, wedding party pictures, and family pictures. 
    Posted by cassienoel022[/QUOTE]

I agree and the photographer can help you with your timeline as well.  I wanted everything from getting dressed to the very end so I booked my photographer for 8 hours (4-midnight).  She ended up coming early and got some getting ready shots and all my accessories as well.

This is what we do where I live but on these boards, I have seen lots of girls say they are letting their photographers go after first dance, cake cutting, etc.  But where I live, we still do a grand exit so that is why I wanted mine until the end.  It really just depends on what you want captured so do your timeline and then go from there.
  • If you're really watching your budget closely, go with the 6 hours. This will allow you plenty of time to do some "getting ready" shots, shots of you and your bridal party, shots of you and your fiance, and family portraits. Cut back on how long you want the photographer there at the reception...once the cake cutting, bouquet tossing, and first dancing are over, you really only need the photographer there for another 30 minutes-1 hour to get some 'dancing' shots of your guests. Typically people get sick of having a photographer stationed at the dance floor after a while anyway-they want to feel free to just dance without having someone perched over your shoulder. You'll still get plenty of gorgeous shots from your wedding day without the additional 2 hours. Promise!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards