Pre-wedding Parties

What time to show up to my own shower??

My MOH has planned my shower for noon this Sunday.  I don't know what the ettiquette was as far as when the Bride should show up.  I thought it'd be a little strange if I was there before the guests, like, "Hi, welcome to my bridal shower!"  since I am not hosting it.  Or should I show up a bit after guests should arrive-- maybe around 12:30 or 1?  I feel like that would be almost like a "surprise!" even though obviously I know about it.  And I suppose that might be a little overwhelming and time consuming if I were to greet each guest one after the other as soon as I got there.

Just interested in what people have done/plan to do.  Thanks for your thoughts!!  :)

Re: What time to show up to my own shower??

• quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely don't be late unless the host has told you that's what she wants.  I wouldn't be too early, but I don't see anything wrong with being there before some of the guests.  I assume MOH will still be the one to greet them at the door.
    Married 10/2/10
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    If I was a guest at your shower and you didn't show up till an hour later I would think you were being incredibly rude.  They can't eat or do any of the activities till you get there so they are just going to sit around staring at each other and possibly working up a good rant about you.  If your shower starts at noon you should be there at noon. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My niece greeted all of the guests as we arrived for her shower. My DD also was already at the house and greeting everyone as they arrived for her shower.  I don't know why you would find that odd.

If people know it's not a surprise shower, it will only look rude for you to show up an hour late.

If the shower invites say it starts at noon, I'd check with the MOH, and probably arrive at about 11:45.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it's not supposed to be a surprise shower, I definitely wouldn't show up late. My shower was at 2:00 so I asked what time I should be there and everyone unanimously said 2:00! I got there right at 2:00 and most of the guests were already there and waiting for me to arrive so we could get started. As pp's mentioned, they can't start anything without the bride-to-be. They can't serve the food, start playing games, opening gifts, or cutting the cake without the bride. All they can do until the bride arrives is mingle and sip on drinks.
  • edited December 2011
    My shower starts at 11:30 this Sunday and my mom and bridesmaids told me to come at 12.  It is supposed to be a surprise, but my family hasn't been very good at keeping secrets!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • bekahjane89bekahjane89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand the feeling of awkwardness... how exactly are we supposed to know how to behave at these things... kinda strange. However, I would show up 10 to 15 minutes early. I wouldn't stand right at the door greeting guests - that is the job of the host and you don't want to take the appearance of the host. I'd stand off to the side or sit in a focal point where people can easily come by and greet you without stepping over other people etc. They'll want to say hello to the Bride to be but should help you keep from feeling too awkward. This way you can also have a couple of friends sitting with you and can have a (frequently interrupted) casual conversation to keep the awkward moments to a minimum.

Have fun at your shower!!
    Beka Lou
  • marisah83marisah83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My upcoming shower/brunch is at 11:00, and I've been told to get there between 10:45 and 11:00.  They can't start the party without you, so don't make them wait!
    09.10 Siggy Challenge
    PhotobucketMy favorite picture is of the night we got engaged!
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine was at 3pm and I got there at 3:05....there will always be one or two late guests arriving so it doesn't matter if you're there before them
  • edited December 2011
    I would say get there early at least 15 minutes or so.  Everyone will want to say hi to you.  I was there early for mine and it was nice to great everyone, but make sure your bridal party or someone is first at the door to take their gifts and put them aside.  They often want to give you a hug when they walk in and have their arms full.  I don't think anyone will think you are hosting your own shower if you are greating them. 
  • twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My MOH requested that I arrive 10-15 minutes early for mine.

It worked out well, as everyone else had already arrived by the time I got there.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Just a lil update for you all.... :)

I was told my shower started at noon.  I got there probably 10-15 minutes before.  Maybe it's just the people I know, but there were only a couple people there by noon, which kind of surprised me.  I maybe had around 20 women there eventually, but not until 1:00p.  Either everyone I know is very late or maybe it's normal to show up when you want to a shower...Oh well I still had tons of fun anyways!  Thanks for the suggestions, all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards