Registry and Gift Forum

Moving right after wedding?

My fiance and I might be moving right after the wedding. I'm wondering if we should register for what we want any way knowing we'll have to move it all or just keep to a small registry and buy stuff we still want/need when we get to where we're going. Thoughts?
Married since May 12, 2012

Re: Moving right after wedding?

• Moving is a PITA even without a bunch of gifts. Especially if it is a long distance, I might set up a small registry with items that can easily be moved (towels, smaller items, etc). Having a small registry allows those who want to give physical gifts to have some ideas, but it also hints to guests that you'd really prefer cash without saying it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • We're likely moving, too. I did a "full" registry and will worry about moving things when the time comes. IME it's not wedding-gift-type stuff that's hard to move. It's books and furniture and papers and everything in the bathroom cupboards (not towels). I haven't had to move appliances, china, or crystal, though.
  • We had a pretty full registry, and we moved approx 700 miles two months after we got married.  We didn't register for china and crystal, because we did not want to have to worry about breakage (my grandma wanted to get china, and my MIL wanted to get crystal, and they were ok with waiting until we got settled in our new area).  We also didn't register for sheets, because we planned to get a new bed and weren't sure what size we would be able to fit.  

We have so much stuff--furniture, books, etc.--that moving is a PITA no matter how you look at it, so a few extra boxes of things that we received as gifts didn't really make a difference.  
  • I'd register for what you want.  If you're moving soon after the wedding just make sure to keep the boxes and I would not open all of the gifts.  Only the ones that are breakable to make sure they are still in one piece.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Are you paying for the move yourself, or are you being relocated by a company?   If a company is paying for movers to move your stuff, then I don't see any reason not to do a full registry.  I would recommend leaving things in their original boxes/pagackaging as much as possible.  I've moved a lot (military) and never had anything broken beyond one picture frame.

If you're moving yourself (U-Haul) or hiring your own moving company and paying per pound, then maybe just limit your registry to stuff that you will be replacing/upgrading, like new sheets or towels, or if you're replacing your old pots and pans with new ones.  Then, at least theoretically, it shouldn't be any bulkier or weigh any  more than the stuff you already have.   Plus you won't have to rush out and buy new stuff when you get to your new location.    Again, I would recommend keeping most things in their original packaging.
    DSC_9275
  • I think of it this way - if you were moving a year after the wedding, you'd have just as much stuff to move. Why does it matter that you're moving right after the wedding? Wouldn't you still want the same things? And wouldn't you rather get them as gifts and then only have to pay to ship them/bring them with you? We're moving like a month after the wedding, and I just plan on bringing everything with us. Just my two cents :)
  • Moving stuff is a pain, but I agree with PP that if you keep them in their original boxes then it's not so hard to do, and then it's something new and fresh for you to use when you arrive.

As for moving china and crystal, the trick to this is to keep their original boxes, especially china - if you think about (and most people probably don't) china/crystal gets handled by non-gentle movers all the time when it gets shipped from factories to stores and then from stores to your doorstep.  Their boxes are designed to be virtually break proof as long as you don't crush them.  And if you can't handle all the boxes, you can buy china and crystal moving boxes that are basically extremely strong cardboard boxes in the right shape to make the items not get jostled but also can handle being dropped or having stuff stacked on top. For me, I'd probably not worry about it and have my china/crystal moved in my personal vehicle.  That's really the only added precaution I'd take.  Or you could return the china and rebuy when you get there if it's really a strong concern of yours.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're moving shortly after the wedding as well. But, we aren't moving very far at all, 15 minutes max. We didn't register for EVERYTHING that we want/need for our new house, but we registered for quite a bit. The rest of it, we'll buy once we're settled in.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks all! 
    Married since May 12, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards